Help! Sobbing after a stupid accident

Glynis

Jeeze Louise
O.G.
Aug 30, 2007
OMG I dropped some acetone on the floor today (don't ask). Its ruined the flooring, but I don't really care about that. The acetone splashed onto my violet Sophia and tan MbMJ Posh Turnlock. There are a few small splashes on my black Louise but they are hardly noticeable.

The Sophia and Posh look terrible with light coloured stains on the leather. I went out and bought some leather cleaning wipes and they have made it a little better but not much.

Any other suggestions???? I often read about Appleguard on this site, but I don't think we can get that in the UK.

Help, help, help. I am so annoyed with myself.

On a lighter note: My hubby was just on his way to work when the above all happened. He looked at me and said "Don't worry, we can buy them again". Bless... I just shouted back at him that it would be a waste of money. I think I owe him an apology when he comes home tonight!

Last edited:
oh, no! i'm so sorry, glynis. i understand how you must feel. i'm not sure what you can do at this point. i don't think apple will be able to do much more than the leather wipes you've already tried. at this point, it's discolored, i think. either jun or space would be able to tell you for certain, but worse comes to worst, you can always take it to a leather professional and have the spots redyed. i think lovinmybags.com provides this service as well. good luck!

awww i'm sorry glynis! :sad:
i don't know what to advise you to do :sad: i agree with tad - try that Web site to see if they can help you redye?
best of luck - let us know what happens :hugs:
(and what a sweet husband) :heart:

So, so sorry Glynis -- I agree that chances are, the bags are permanently discolored. It would be like spilling bleach on something - it strips and fades the color. Other than having the bags completelt re-dyed OR filing in the areas w/some kind of color/dye, there's probably not a lot you can do.

I agree that luvingmybags would be a good place to start -- I also think that Bag Borrow or Steal (I can't remember their new name) now offers some kind of restoration service for bags. You could also check around with cobblers in your area -- someone who specializes in leather care - to see if maybe they can fix this

I'm so sorry this happened to you!!:hugs::heart:

What a bummer!! I suppose the Posh is not too bad because the leather is so squashy and because of the overall colour. But the Sophia is really ruined. I will try a local cobbler this week and see what they say.

Maybe in the end, it would be cheaper to take my hubby up on his offer.

Oh Glynis I am so sorry to hear about your accident. The acetone will definitely react permanently with the leather/dye on your bags. If you are feeling crafty you could try to use leather dye/paint to spot correct. Otherwise luvinmybags color correction/repair service would be your best bet. Good luck, and I'm so sorry this happened.

Glynis i feel for you. i recently had two bags done by luvinmybags and they did an absolutely fabulous job. the bags where in pretty bad shape, now they look almost brand new. good luck, hon! :hugs:

Definitely needs pics! The color is 100% gone, but maybe you can do a DIY repair.

I have replaced color on some of my bags with Prismacolor permanent artist markers.... I would rub some of the color on the bag and blend in with some appleguard on a soft cotton cloth... and repeat. the hardest part would be matching up the color of the leather.... but the great thing about prismacolors is they come in zillions of colors.

oh dear!!! i am so sorry to hear about this!

im affraid you cant really do all that much to fix it because the color is light, anything you apply might mask the damage partially, but not fully repair it. maybe find a replacement and sell yours to fund it part way?? gosh, i would be so angry at myself, im so sorry hon. wish you the best in finding a resolution :hugs: