Help show your support for banning pet sales in pet stores

SarahLin

Jun 17, 2009
I am strongly against pet stores selling animals for several different reasons. All animals sold in pet stores come from mills, backyard breeders or are captured illegally (reptiles). The animals are often not cared for properly and therefore most of the people who purchase them do not care for them properly either because they learned from the shop. Selling pets in stores promotes impulse buying. Animals should never be bought on impulse. People need to do proper research before deciding to commit to having an animal, no matter how big or small. To put it simply: animals are not merchandise.

I have recently created a facebook group to help spread the word about why pet stores shouldn't sell animals. I'd love it if you all join and help spread the word as well. People can also write letters to the stores that still sell animals as well as the government so that hopefully something will be done about this problem.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=350236818178&ref=ts

I don't mind pet stores and there not all bad it's like your lumping them all together. Two of my babies are from a pet store and are in better health and have had less problems than my babies that were from in home breeders that said they did it for the love of the breed. I will take pet shop babies any time :smile:

Sadly a lot, sometimes most, of pet stores buy dogs from puppy mills. The facts:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer/3736/Overview

Puppy mills are horrible places and they are destroying breeds by over-breeding and inbreeding and breeding sick dogs. They sell exclusively to pet stores and to fly by night dog sellers.

If you love a breed, please please please take the time to go to a reputable breeder (one with maybe 3-4 dogs, who only breeds each dog every year or two, who breed for health and temperament) Reputable breeders sell from within their home and will expect references. And they will let you come and meet the parents in their home, and the dogs will be inside. Or, adopt from a breed-specific rescue. Or wait for your local shelter to have the breed you want. Or just get a mutt!

But a high number of pet stores that sell pets buy pets from horrific puppy mills.

I'm really sorry if the truth is upsetting. But it is the truth.

To mods: if I am being too harsh then please just leave the first line and the link to the Dog Whisperer's Puppy Mill special.

I am sorry but I am lumping them all together because its the truth whether people want to face it or not. Where else do you think the pets come from? Good breeders who care about their pets would NEVER sell them to a pet store because they want to know exactly who will be taking home their animals. I'm not just talking dogs either I'm talking all animals sold in pet stores. They are bred continuously in horrible conditions until they die or are killed.

I am not trying to damn people who didn't know and bought a pet in a pet store I am trying to educate people and put a stop to the animals who have to suffer so some people can make a buck.

I am against selling animals in pet stores as well. In fact, I got my Doxie from a reputable breeder who has refused to supply stores. A friend of mine came over with her Doxie the other day for a doggie playdate and I had never see her dog before and I was shocked. The dog is one year old and weighs 4.5lbs, is 1/3 the length of my dog and has some physical issues. She has a tail that has a hard hook on the end, her back is curved upwards and her hind legs are completely bowed and she walks with her feet turned under. It's not my place to say anything but I did ask where the dog came from and was told she was bought from a pet store and was the runt of the litter - my friend got her from a friend who moved overseas recently, so she didn't buy her, she just "inherited" her. The puppy is not even a year old and I can see hip and back issues in her future. She is quite obviously the result of lots of inbreeding at a puppy mill. It's so sad to see.

You can see the hook in the tail and the curved spine in this photo. Mine is the one on the right - who looks like a Great Dane in comparison!

4470467858_eecf6074ff_b.jpg

Last edited: