HELP! Should I purchase this Kelly Sellier 35cm?

Feb 22, 2007
Hello everyone! I was just offered a Kelly Sellier 35 by my wonderful SA and I’m on the fence about it so I wanted to get opinions of you lovely fellow TPF’ers.

Most importantly, I want to share that I would be buying it without having seen it in person - there is no H boutique in my state.

I have a general knowledge of H as an avid bag lover but am relatively new to this addiction, i.e. I am not well-versed in all their leathers and how they feel/wear. Most of what I know Ive learned on TPF or from ********.

I purchased my first & only Birkin last year - B35 in gris asphalt with gold HW & I loveee her!

I reached out feelers to my SA for another Birkin but he said he only had the Kelly available. It is a Sellier 35cm in Epsom with gold HW.

While my first love is Birkin a Kelly bag is definitely on my radar but I planned to get a couple Birkins first as they fit more with my casual style. Therefore I haven’t started delving deep into learning about them nor have I seen one in person.

From the little research Ive done on the K35 here it seems like it is not a size that’s in demand so probably why it’s available. I guess my concern is whether it will look awkward in this larger size. Is that why not many gals have it?

But Im considering it because I do lean toward larger bags no matter what the current trend may be. My Chanels are large totes, the Deauville & Maxi Flap for example. And, as I shared just now, my Birkin is a 35.

Your input would be appreciated and if you have modeling shots of you with a K35 that you could share that would be AMAZING!

Thank you in advance :heart:

Hmmm, I don't have K35 Sellier but have tried one on. I also need to state that I don't have a B35 due to the weight but the size would look fine on my 5'6" frame.

For me K35 Sellier looked too formal and much like a briefcase due to size. Sellier makes a bag look larger. I have tried K32 Sellier and that I feel is more manageable from a size and function. I do have a K25 Sellier and that suits my needs. I probably wouldn't add another Sellier unless it was smooth Barenia (pipe dream).

This size Kelly is not for everyone and might be more readily available for that reason. One thing to consider about a larger Sellier is bumping the corners while wearing it out. Larger bags bet bumped more and risk for corner damage is greater.

Buy this bag only if it's right for you. What fits one person's style may not suit another.

This image has been on the internet for a while and probably posted on this forum somewhere too...not certain who to credit. HTH
kelly comparison.jpg

Congratulations on your offer!

I have only 1 Kelly 35, and it is also a sellier. It is in the leather Vache Naturale. I bought it preloved very recently so I haven't had the occasion to use it yet, but I will try to give you some feedback!
It is a very boxy shape, so if you like a slouchy bag, this will never be that. It can hold quite a bit, but not near as much as a B35. In Epsom, it should be very light. However, Epsom is a difficult leather with corner wear. It cannot be restored. But it does resist scratches. So if you don't bang it around, it should be fine!
I personally will use it on days when I wish to hold a bit more, such as a shawl and ipad, small water, etc. (or maybe mask, sanitizer, wipes..)
Hope I have helped a little!! Good Luck! Oh, I will attach a picture of mine..lZ6Otd5zTNShXP2CMiOfKA.jpg

Reactions: miniwatt and keodi
I think you answered your own question.. There are Birkin gals & there are Kelly gals & when you mention your first love is
a "Birkin".. I'd wait for the Birkin of my choice & you also mention that the Birkin seems to work more in your casual style

I do agree with Txoceangirl with her thoughts about the 35 Kelly Sellier...
Good luck with your decision.. it's a tough one

Hmmm, I don't have K35 Sellier but have tried one on. I also need to state that I don't have a B35 due to the weight but the size would look fine on my 5'6" frame.

For me K35 Sellier looked too formal and much like a briefcase due to size. Sellier makes a bag look larger. I have tried K32 Sellier and that I feel is more manageable from a size and function. I do have a K25 Sellier and that suits my needs. I probably wouldn't add another Sellier unless it was smooth Barenia (pipe dream).

This size Kelly is not for everyone and might be more readily available for that reason. One thing to consider about a larger Sellier is bumping the corners while wearing it out. Larger bags bet bumped more and risk for corner damage is greater.

Buy this bag only if it's right for you. What fits one person's style may not suit another.

This image has been on the internet for a while and probably posted on this forum somewhere too...not certain who to credit. HTH
View attachment 4802439

Thank you Txoceangirl - I appreciate your help! The size comparison photo is helpful.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me - my primary concern is that it will look like a briefcase of sorts. I think, without seeing one in person anyway, that my ideal size is 32cm - it's crazy what a difference just a few centimeters appears to make!

Reactions: Txoceangirl
Congratulations on your offer!

I have only 1 Kelly 35, and it is also a sellier. It is in the leather Vache Naturale. I bought it preloved very recently so I haven't had the occasion to use it yet, but I will try to give you some feedback!
It is a very boxy shape, so if you like a slouchy bag, this will never be that. It can hold quite a bit, but not near as much as a B35. In Epsom, it should be very light. However, Epsom is a difficult leather with corner wear. It cannot be restored. But it does resist scratches. So if you don't bang it around, it should be fine!
I personally will use it on days when I wish to hold a bit more, such as a shawl and ipad, small water, etc. (or maybe mask, sanitizer, wipes..)
Hope I have helped a little!! Good Luck! Oh, I will attach a picture of mine..View attachment 4802453

Thank you! The leather information that you provided is very good to know, I will keep it in mind.

I appreciate the lines of the Kelly and that it has a more 'formal' look. That is why I love both bags. They are so different. I would have the occasion to wear both styles so both are on my wishlist.

I think I am going to ask my SA if he can send me a picture of it on another SA's shoulder from a couple different angles. Another draw for me is that it is black with gold HW. For me, it's a true classic in terms of color way.

Decisions, decisions....

I think you answered your own question.. There are Birkin gals & there are Kelly gals & when you mention your first love is
a "Birkin".. I'd wait for the Birkin of my choice & you also mention that the Birkin seems to work more in your casual style

I do agree with Txoceangirl with her thoughts about the 35 Kelly Sellier...
Good luck with your decision.. it's a tough one

Thank you for your insight :smile: I agree with her too about the potential of it looking like a briefcase - I think that is what is preventing me from pulling the trigger - especially since I can't try it on for myself.

Although, I think that a gal can be both :graucho:

I think the K35 in a formal color like black and sellier is going to look like a briefcase. I too am a birkin girl. I love the tote and casual look. I ended up getting a retourne K25 and love it. I would consider bigger Ks in retourne, but the sellier is going to be a very formal work-looking bag. I vote that you pass.

I think the K35 in a formal color like black and sellier is going to look like a briefcase. I too am a birkin girl. I love the tote and casual look. I ended up getting a retourne K25 and love it. I would consider bigger Ks in retourne, but the sellier is going to be a very formal work-looking bag. I vote that you pass.

Thank you for your input :smile: !

I’m leaning towards no for that exact reasoning. Even tho it’s so hard to say no to H! LOL

Reactions: keodi
Thank you all for your input :love: I really appreciate it!

I decided to pass based on my initial thoughts being supported by all of your insight.

Here’s hoping my next post is to share a new Birkin or Kelly 32cm!