I have a big dilemma. I recently inquired on a Bottega Veneta pink (magnolia)woven hobo at my local BV boutique. The SA I spoke to said that she'd find out when they'll be getting it or if another boutique has it. She promised to call me as soon as she'd get the info. I gave my personal information, and so I waited--for three days!!! She never called me back, so I called her and left a message with someone else, because she was off that day. Then, she called me back the next day and asked what I needed--hello?!? I asked if she knew anything about the bag, she didn't know exactly on what date they would get one. Anyway, I've been looking at the BV website, and saw another pink bag that I'd like to get. So, I called the store again to ask whether if I ordered online who would ship the bag to me--the main distributor or any of the boutiques. Lucky me, the person who answers the phone is the same SA that supposedly is helping me with the hobo bag. Yes, she recognized who I was, and I had to tell her I was interested in a second bag and was thinking about pre-ordering it online. She immediately offered to get info on this new bag and took my phone number again (didn't she have it already??), and promised to call me back again ASAP (here we go again)... As expected, it's been two days now and nothing, she hasn't called me yet... That SA has my address and phone numbers, and even credit card information!! (she asked for it, I guess to secure the sale) I don't know if she would charge my credit card as soon as she gets the bag at the store or when I pick it up. Should I just go ahead and order from the BV website and pay taxes and shipping charges? or should I wait and have the SA to call me when one of the two handbags is available at her boutique? I don't know if it's appropriate to ditch her. What do you think guys?