Help! Should I keep this caviar mini?

bbtyan

Feb 22, 2019
hi dear TPFers!
First I’d like to say I love this community here! It’s my first post but l’ve lurked around and found many great informations.

I’ve been lusting over a Chanel mini square in caviar for the longest time and I never pulled a trigger on one, now they don’t make them anymore!

I saw this one on Fashionphile a few days ago and it was the color combo I wanted: Black caviar + LGHW from 18S. The price was over retail (3800$) but I bought it over impulse!

After receiving the bag I noticed that there are these creases on the side where the bag cinches in. Overall the bag seems to be in good condition but I am not sure how should a new caviar mini looks like since I’ve never saw one IRL...
A6515BFC-F2C1-4A81-B6B9-5A2CD654AC1E.jpeg 2668BA31-9CD6-4B8A-A6A6-8BD13B359731.jpeg 668C0892-26B3-4C2D-8A7C-5B0E7C726B1A.jpeg
B31C4AB4-AD56-4126-9FBD-894E1381A8A3.jpeg 41260BE2-E53D-4B1F-97C4-3CF00B774A5D.jpeg C1478737-82B6-4D7E-8620-76D439639A3C.jpeg 9A74040A-1C5E-4C39-9901-C95A8A638F71.jpeg 5DDF2016-1792-4D5F-8B27-BEDA65B3DE4A.jpeg 6F4A0402-1CB0-4D90-8A3D-D6B077C5819F.jpeg
I also found a personal shopper in Europe said she could try find one for me with 10% commission fee. Which will be cheaper still than what I paid for Fashionphile...

So I am really torn right now: I know that this bag is really hard to come by, should I keep the one from fashionphile or hope that the personal shopper will find a new and cheaper one in EU?

That’s a beautiful mini square! I love the 18S leather too. Personally I think it’s normal. My 17B caviar rec has those creases too.

I do think you got it for a little expensive (but I noticed there’s an overall increase in resale prices for caviar minis lately due to demand) so I guess only return it if you feel really bothered by the price. I’m sure another one will turn up for a little cheaper. :smile:

Last edited:
Your bag is super puffy! So gorgeous! I envy those puffs :P. The creases are normal too, don’t worry at alll, And don’t get lured by the personal shopper, esp if you have to pay upfront. You’d have struck jackpot to find a brand new from boutique caviar mini anywhere in the world. So she’d have to source it from resellers in Eu... plus her fees... and headache and time wasted for a few hundreds saved, or maybe not?

I was buying above retail minis last year. my logic was simple. I love the bags, and I cant find them in stores. N prices were bound to increase. Fast forward half a year later, all the caviar minis have increased beyond what I bought that was alr above retail! Initially I was kicking myself for spending $3,750 on a rect mini when it retailed for $3,100. But u see how now the prices have increased even crazier? :P.

hi dear TPFers!
First I’d like to say I love this community here! It’s my first post but l’ve lurked around and found many great informations.

I’ve been lusting over a Chanel mini square in caviar for the longest time and I never pulled a trigger on one, now they don’t make them anymore!

I saw this one on Fashionphile a few days ago and it was the color combo I wanted: Black caviar + LGHW from 18S. The price was over retail (3800$) but I bought it over impulse!

After receiving the bag I noticed that there are these creases on the side where the bag cinches in. Overall the bag seems to be in good condition but I am not sure how should a new caviar mini looks like since I’ve never saw one IRL...
View attachment 4408859 View attachment 4408860 View attachment 4408861
View attachment 4408864 View attachment 4408865 View attachment 4408866 View attachment 4408867 View attachment 4408868 View attachment 4408869
I also found a personal shopper in Europe said she could try find one for me with 10% commission fee. Which will be cheaper still than what I paid for Fashionphile...

So I am really torn right now: I know that this bag is really hard to come by, should I keep the one from fashionphile or hope that the personal shopper will find a new and cheaper one in EU?

Impulse buying is the devil itself lol, Ive had the same thing happen to me before and ended up losing money on a bag to repurchase a brand new bag in the same style that was cheaper. So in my experience if you still have the chance return it to fashionphile then go ahead and return it and be patient with the personal shopper because there will be another one out there waiting for you to buy it! Do what makes you happy in the end. In my case, i just have a hard time accepting a used bag vs a brand new.

Last edited:
I have the exact same one as you and I can tell u it’s normal!! In fact I’ve been scrutinizing your pictures and all I can say is you shld keep it definitely! Not to mention 18S was one of the best caviar batches and your bag looks perfect and luscious! If I were you i wouldn’t return it because this one is Super rare and hard to come by. Not to mention stores haven’t been carrying caviar square minis for a while so I wouldn’t want to risk the regret if I were you. Just to assure you again, your bag looks perfect.

Your bag looks great and I think if you love it and it's what you want, then keep it and enjoy it! You may have paid a little over retail but if you return this and wait for the right one to arrive in a boutique, it might have a price increase by then, plus you will have not been able to enjoy the bag this whole time you were waiting. Also, time is money! You'll spend time and emotional effort trying to find your bag. If this what you want and you can afford it, keep and enjoy!

Reactions: gettinpurseonal
Thank you for the confirmation guys! I actually ended up returning this one and got the exact same bag from an facebook group reseller, for less than 3200$ and newer condition! Really happy how it turned out !

Reactions: F a e
Thank you for the confirmation guys! I actually ended up returning this one and got the exact same bag from an facebook group reseller, for less than 3200$ and newer condition! Really happy how it turned out !
Congrats! Curious what is the Facebook group reseller? And share pics of your new bag?

Glad to hear you found another one for a much better price. :biggrin:

Congrats! Curious what is the Facebook group reseller? And share pics of your new bag?

I am wondering about this Facebook group reseller too.

Of course! I joined a Facebook group called Reetzy Chanel addicted and there are trusted sellers and bag enthusiasts I guess in the group, the group is supposedly well monitored for counterfeits. But it was definitely a leap of faith for me since I never done any purchase like this before! They also have the same group for Gucci Celine etc

The bag came much newer than the fashionphile one, Thé leather even have a smell to it, feels like it hasn’t been used that much or new? The caviar is much shinier and puffier!
D9BE212B-F163-4E29-B1FC-0BF6188158E2.jpeg CC6FC912-3EF0-43AC-A9C2-6EB3FF58F6C8.jpeg 750C3387-19EC-4426-A3A6-FA8AA2CB71A0.jpeg 5B154A1E-4EA4-4DC2-8C8B-D6F275F8DC34.jpeg FFC227C4-CB8C-4550-89BA-5974D96AF832.jpeg
There’s only one flaw which she mentioned is that the metal hinge on the bag for the lock kind of sticks up a little so I need to push down the flap to close. Nothing that major so I decided to let go3CEE5D93-FC7B-4548-8612-AF32720BE1BA.jpeg 330E0187-5010-4375-BC0E-D2FFC24406BE.jpeg 16F816B1-1B11-47E2-B242-360A2EC7DB47.jpeg

Of course! I joined a Facebook group called Reetzy Chanel addicted and there are trusted sellers and bag enthusiasts I guess in the group, the group is supposedly well monitored for counterfeits. But it was definitely a leap of faith for me since I never done any purchase like this before! They also have the same group for Gucci Celine etc

The bag came much newer than the fashionphile one, Thé leather even have a smell to it, feels like it hasn’t been used that much or new? The caviar is much shinier and puffier!
View attachment 4415480 View attachment 4415481 View attachment 4415482 View attachment 4415483 View attachment 4415484
There’s only one flaw which she mentioned is that the metal hinge on the bag for the lock kind of sticks up a little so I need to push down the flap to close. Nothing that major so I decided to let goView attachment 4415485 View attachment 4415486 View attachment 4415487
Beautiful! Glad you found a better deal!

Hi! I have the same bag from that collection. Bought mine at Bergdorf. Mine has the same exact creases. Totally normal, not a defect. I love that bag so much. It’s practically indestructible! I get so much use out of it. I would say keep and consider yourself lucky you found it!