Help! Should I get a Fauve Barenia Alligator Kelly

sfshopgirl

O.G.
May 13, 2008
Hello fellow tpfers,
I need some advice! My wonderful SA offered me a Fauve Barenia Alligator Kelly 32 today. It was AMAZING!!! I wish I took a pic. I am so in love with the bag but the price of it is making me have second thoughts. It is more expensive than a regular croc or alligator so I'm wondering if it is worth it. I asked her to show me other bags after this just to look to see what my choices were and nothing compared. It made everything look so plain and I couldn't believe I was saying that about a shiny croc Birkin with GH! So, I am contemplating whether I should get it or not.

I have a few exotics in my collection and have been waiting for a matte croc 30B versus a 32K in an exotic as I already have a 28K matte croc in Blue indigo. Should I get it or wait for that 30B matte croc? I don't need another bag and then again when do we ever need another Birkin or Kelly. I'm also a matte person as I find them more useful for all occasions. I feel guilty that I have all these beautiful bags and I don't use all of them. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to hear from those who have this bag on how theirs have aged and whether it ages like a regular barenia bag. I've seen a few pieces online but would love to hear first hand. Thank you in advance!

Darling i think with such a very unique bag it might or most probably is someones holy grail and it most certainly reads as a bag that is not a perfect match for you. with H especially exotics and special pieces i find that when you see them Price size fit etc... are seccond to the joy and love you feel when you see it. honestly i would say pass .............. this said if by tommorow you cant stop thinking about it rush into the boutique buy it and wear it out. i find this to be a great technique when in doubt

I've seen one and it is an amazing bag in a whole league by itself. But if you can't get over it because it's so gorgeous yet it will only sit in your closet then I say pass (yes, horrible as it may sound) and wait for that croc B you want.

Wow, that's a rare bag. I've only seen photos, which blew me away, and I'm sure it's even more spectacular in person. That being said, it's an extravagant purchase if it's not the one you want.

On the other hand...:graucho:
More often than not, we find our perfect match when we least expect it. You may not have been searching for this bag, but perhaps it found you! Your's is a dilemma I could only dream of having! :P
Best of luck in your decision.

Darling i think with such a very unique bag it might or most probably is someones holy grail and it most certainly reads as a bag that is not a perfect match for you. with H especially exotics and special pieces i find that when you see them Price size fit etc... are seccond to the joy and love you feel when you see it. honestly i would say pass .............. this said if by tommorow you cant stop thinking about it rush into the boutique buy it and wear it out. i find this to be a great technique when in doubt

Birkel, Thanks for your advice. You are probably right in terms of H and exotics. When I bought my croc Kelly, Constance, Dogon, and my Kelly cut, I did not hesitate at all and bought them instantly. But, I have never seen this combo so it has been so hard for me to decide and it being more than a croc 30B by 10K (that's another regular Birkin!), it was more difficult for me to justify the purchase. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and if it screams buy me tomorrow, I will definitely bring her home and as you suggested wear her out!

I've seen one and it is an amazing bag in a whole league by itself. But if you can't get over it because it's so gorgeous yet it will only sit in your closet then I say pass (yes, horrible as it may sound) and wait for that croc B you want.

Jadeite, it is an amazing bag! It is so gorgeous and in a league of it's own. I don't think it will sit on the shelf as it is matte so I will use it but it may be a bag that I will have to baby as it is light in color. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Thank you!

Wow, that's a rare bag. I've only seen photos, which blew me away, and I'm sure it's even more spectacular in person. That being said, it's an extravagant purchase if it's not the one you want.

On the other hand...:graucho:
More often than not, we find our perfect match when we least expect it. You may not have been searching for this bag, but perhaps it found you! Your's is a dilemma I could only dream of having! :P
Best of luck in your decision.

Monceau, it is rare. Even my SA said that it is almost as rare as a himalayan! And you are right that we may find our perfect match when we least expect it. I was never searching for this so maybe it has found me. Thanks for your advice!

Good luck deciding and what an exciting decision to have to make! I agree that if you are still thinking about it after a good night's sleep then you should go and get it. However, if you don't think you can give it all the love it deserves then you should leave it for someone else who will. I can't wait to read what you decide and possibly a reveal?

Ahhh.. This would be hard
See if you are still thinking about it tomorrow and look in your closet and imagine what you might wear with it
And think of this
If your 30B arrived tomorrow would you regret getting this Kelly?
This combination Kelly is a true grail and the barenia gator will age beautifully over time
It's a timeless classic

Last edited:
Okay, I'm a troglodyte. I had thought Barenia was a kind of leather. How is a bag both Barenia and gator? Is it two types of leather in combination, or. . . ?