Help!! Should I buy a Gucci Bucket bag or Chloe Marcie?

barbee

O.G.
Apr 5, 2012
Please help me with my dilemma! For years, I have loved the Chloe Marcie, yet when I tried one at Saks, it did not seem to be "me." This was possibly 4-5 years ago. I bought something less expensive, which is long gone. I should say, I do now have a small crossbody Marcie, and a Marcie wallet. That being said, I have become a Gucci lover. I have the larger swing tote, which does not seem to be a "winter" bag, and the pink blush patent disco, which is wonderful. I also have the Miss GG bag. My lifestyle is low key--don't work, so just casual clothes... and as I am 58, I DO NOT want to try to be a 20 something, as I don't want to look silly. So... is the bucket bag too young for me? I do love the look, and faintly remember have a Coach bucket bag years ago. However, the idea of having the Marcie came back to me this week when I saw someone with one. And Fashionphile has a used, but "excellent condition" blue Marcie for a good price, and a "new with tags" black one, for about $300 more. But then the Gucci bucket bag would be almost exactly the same price. Next, do I get black(either one) a safe winter color, or the blue(either handbag,) so, as my daughter thinks, "It will be noticed, " but then worry about color transfer. I wear jeans in the winter--remember--casual!
Is the Gucci just more "with it" than the Marcie? Marcie just more classic? Help, help, help!

I honestly don't think you need to worry about your age. If a bag makes you happy then that bag is made for you. Styles come and go but great design is forever so choose the design you love and that bag is sure to reflect your style, regardless of your age.

If you were to get the Gucci bucket, I beg you to please get one in color (i.e. blue). :flowers: I always have a colored diamante in mind whenever I think of a Gucci bucket. I don't think it looks trendy as well, as its silhouette is something used by Gucci decades ago. I'm not familiar with how much Marcie weighs, but it appears quite heavy. I think the bucket would be a gentler-to-the-body, on-the-go and more hands-free option than an all-leather Marcie.

Thanks for all your advice. I am definitely leaning toward thre Gucci bucket, especially after hearing comments today on Purseblog about the modern look of the Chloe bucket--not the older trend of Marcie/Paraty. I like the looks of the Chloe bucket, but it has a higher price point, and Gucci seems to have captured me.
Now, do I follow your comments(and my daughter's also) about a bucket with color(not black) or stay with good ole black? If color, it will for sure be the blue. I just need to decide before the price increase.

Thanks for all your advice. I am definitely leaning toward thre Gucci bucket, especially after hearing comments today on Purseblog about the modern look of the Chloe bucket--not the older trend of Marcie/Paraty. I like the looks of the Chloe bucket, but it has a higher price point, and Gucci seems to have captured me.
Now, do I follow your comments(and my daughter's also) about a bucket with color(not black) or stay with good ole black? If color, it will for sure be the blue. I just need to decide before the price increase.

I just bought the Chloe bucket and haven't used her yet-I was also looking at other styles before I decide to keep her. I do love the Gucci bucket and was hoping it may go on sale at the end of Nov. I love the looks of the lady tassle bucket as well.

I would try on a few colors with clothing you tend to wear. The colors are fun, but you can't beat black for chic most of the time. I don't have anything with the diamante leather but I think it wears like iron.

Can you send a picture? I would love to see it and get your thoughts on if it is the right bag for you. I did order the Gucci bucket in the dark blue diamante, and as it is in transit, it should be here in the next day or two. I am treating this dark blue color as a classic color, and hopefully it will work with my black and grey clothes. Also, I am so accustomed to having a bag which has both handles and a shoulder strap, so am hoping this won't limit me too much. However, the "model" for the bag grabs the straps, so that can be an option also. Hoping!!!

Can you send a picture? I would love to see it and get your thoughts on if it is the right bag for you. I did order the Gucci bucket in the dark blue diamante, and as it is in transit, it should be here in the next day or two. I am treating this dark blue color as a classic color, and hopefully it will work with my black and grey clothes. Also, I am so accustomed to having a bag which has both handles and a shoulder strap, so am hoping this won't limit me too much. However, the "model" for the bag grabs the straps, so that can be an option also. Hoping!!!

I am sending pics of the bags including your navy bucket which is really nice BTW!!!

One other thing, my Gucci rep at Nordstrom told me there is another 30% off sale near the end of Nov on certain bags....you may want to wait and see if this bag goes on sale before you wear it?

Bags pictured are-Gucci, See By Chloe and Mansur Gavriel.

Attachments

• 354228_AIZ1G_4116_001_web_full.jpg
    354228_AIZ1G_4116_001_web_full.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 963304427342074986.jpg
    963304427342074986.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 443
  • bucket_bag_black_argento_1_grande.jpg
    bucket_bag_black_argento_1_grande.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 461
My Gucci bucket bag is arriving tomorrow! And I see the price has gone up, so glad I ordered it. If I love it, there is no way I can wait a month to see if it will go on sale, Gail 13! I say that sadly...
I do think, because it is on Gucci's bestseller list, that it won't go on sale(just a guess!)

The Mansur Gavriel is so beautiful, with a most wonderful price point, but there is no way I would be able to ensure I have that bag in the next year. I'm not up to being on a waiting list forever!
The chloe bag looks great! Are you pleased with it?

My Gucci bucket bag is arriving tomorrow! And I see the price has gone up, so glad I ordered it. If I love it, there is no way I can wait a month to see if it will go on sale, Gail 13! I say that sadly...
I do think, because it is on Gucci's bestseller list, that it won't go on sale(just a guess!)

The Mansur Gavriel is so beautiful, with a most wonderful price point, but there is no way I would be able to ensure I have that bag in the next year. I'm not up to being on a waiting list forever!
The chloe bag looks great! Are you pleased with it?

Would love to see pics of the Gucci on you. When I tried it at the store, it was a little too small for my wallet etc, but I didn't spend alot of time working with it. I suspect the MC bag will be back in stock for the holidays, but it's hard never having seen it. There are a few other bags with similar styles out there-non designer.

The See by Chloe does seem nice and the leather smells really nice, however it does have a bit of gold on it, and the all black does sees more chic. Still thinking.

My Diamante bucket bag arrived yesterday, and it is beautiful! I am 95% sure I will keep it, and have taken pics, but truthfully, inside pics under artificial light make it look almost black. Which means the blue is a great neutral. As I do not know how to post pics, and am heading to the beach, I will get hubby's help and post when I return.
It does seem large enough(i.e. fits all my stuff) but is much different than my swing tote, so will take some getting used to. I'm pretty much in love with it!! Was thrilled all day yesterday, but today it sits lonely as I prepare to leave town.

My Diamante bucket bag arrived yesterday, and it is beautiful! I am 95% sure I will keep it, and have taken pics, but truthfully, inside pics under artificial light make it look almost black. Which means the blue is a great neutral. As I do not know how to post pics, and am heading to the beach, I will get hubby's help and post when I return.
It does seem large enough(i.e. fits all my stuff) but is much different than my swing tote, so will take some getting used to. I'm pretty much in love with it!! Was thrilled all day yesterday, but today it sits lonely as I prepare to leave town.

Hi barbee,

Did you end up keeping the Gucci Bucket bag? I know it's been over a year and if you did keep it, does it stay closed when you cinch the top or do you have to keep struggling to open and close it each time?

I'm looking at the Gucci GG Dimante leather bucket, but I'm not sure I like the cinch closure.

Hi Alex,
Well, It has been about six months for the Gucci bucket bag, and I have really enjoyed it! You asked about the closure: I would not say I struggle, but I do have to "actively" pull it closed each time. However, it takes no effort to open it. It stays closed, and nothing has ever fallen out, but I wouldn't say it is totally closed. The Gucci diamonte bucket is not soft, by any means--more of a structured, hard leather. Hope that helps!
When I bought it, I never heard much from anyone on Purseforum talking about bucket bags, except for Mansur Graviel. This spring, bucket bags seem to be really building momentum, at least in magazines and websites.
Good luck in your decision.