Help - Seller didn't ship with promised company

JustJenna

Angel Fashionista
Nov 13, 2010
I recently bought a Kate Spade wallet from a relatively new seller (she only has like 8 feedbacks) who charged me 8 USD for shipping via UPS ground. I messaged her and asked for the tracking number. She replied that she was sorry but she couldn't give me one, because she sent it via the USPS.

I am a bit annoyed by this as I almost always purchase only from sellers who offer some sort of tracking service. Also 8 USD to ship parcel post seems a bit high.

Is there anything I can do about this? What she did seems deceitful. Is it against ebays rules?

When seller advertises shipment with certain service and does NOT ship as agreed and stated in the auction (and ships with another service w/o notifying me as a buyer) then I do contact them first to communicate my disappointment and allow them to rectify my anger before leaving FB.

When seller advertises shipment with certain service and does NOT ship as agreed and stated in the auction (and ships with another service w/o notifying me as a buyer) then I do contact them first to communicate my disappointment and allow them to rectify my anger before leaving FB.

This happened to me, the seller stated something along the lines of 'I ship Fed Ex and that is why my shipping charges are a little higher.' So I went along with it, and then she shipped it regular USPS. I asked her about it and she said that it wasn't much less to ship USPS. Hmph. I left positive feedback but it said "Didn't ship with advertised company but otherwise item was good", I did ding her stars by one less for shipping charges. If she hadn't made such a big deal of shipping Fed-Ex in her listing it probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal for me, but she did and I paid a little extra so it was.

Linda

I agree, communicate first, before leaving an eventual neg!

$8 for parcel post without any sort of tracking is high, you can use a small flat rate box and ship priority for this price.
It is also annoying as sometimes parcel post is very slow too.
The seller sounds a bit inexperienced as shipping without a tracking number is doing themselves no favours as they won't be able to tell when the package is delivered.
I would just ding the stars a bit if it were me, I don't think it deserves bad feedback ( unless something wrong with the item) just a bit unprofessional.

This just happened to me as well. I paid $20 for 'expedited' shipping, and the order arrived over a week later - seller paid $5.40 for shipping. When I asked her about it, she said she was 'trying to avoid Ebay fees' and 'lots of sellers do it' :thinking:

i had the opposite happen to me
i had a seller who listed it USPS but shipped it through UPS (which she shipped through her work company, probably because she got a discount)
It was a problem for me because I think UPS took longer (i think she sent it ground and I live in Hawaii so it toooook forever to get here) because it would have taken half the time to get here through USPS priority like her listing stated

This just happened to me as well. I paid $20 for 'expedited' shipping, and the order arrived over a week later - seller paid $5.40 for shipping. When I asked her about it, she said she was 'trying to avoid Ebay fees' and 'lots of sellers do it' :thinking:

You could have reported her to eBay and she would have gotten in trouble for it. basically, you paid for her eBay fees.

You could have reported her to eBay and she would have gotten in trouble for it. basically, you paid for her eBay fees.
^Agree, if she actually replied that she was saving fees in her reply message to you in the Ebay system, that message can be reported.

Her desire to save fees does not mean you have to pay for it, if she's going to be an idiot enough to admit she did it on purpose I'd be pissed off enough to report and neg her for it.... else how is she going to learn it's not allowed?

Sellers should not be passing on their fees to buyers via shipping charges. Presumably, they are supposed to make that money back in their final sale. That is ludicrous to charge 20 dollars and then spend five or six on shipping. I would definitely report that. And I thought what was done to me was bad...

I would also let the seller nicely know why she should ship the way she stated/with tracking. She may very well be new and ignorant as to why she needs to do so.

It never hurts to tell her when you add that it's for her own future protection.

I agree with the other ladies to communicate with the seller first. USPS small flat rate box is $6 so with DC# it should be $6.80 max. Parcel/media mail is unsafe and add to that no DC#. Personally, if the seller states a certain shipping mehod then I would expect it to be shipped that way unless I have a problem with it. If it was shipped by some other method then I would definitely give a neutral or negative feedback.