Help requested from restoration gurus...

Nov 21, 2007
I'm hoping the restoration queens can help me out. I just bought an 06 Legacy Shoulder in White from the bay. I've used Apple to clean up the leather and will be purchasing a brass cleaner to take care of the hardware. Unfortunately, the leather zipper pull was broken when I received the bag. Instead of making the loop, it just hangs straight. Is there a good leather glue that any of you would recommend to fix this? I think it will mostly be for appearances' sake since I tend to grab the zipper pull near the zipper. Would super glue even be an option? I only paid $40 out of pocket, so I'm not really wanting to take this in to a leather shop to have anything restitched, if I can help it. Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• 100_1811compressed.jpg
    100_1811compressed.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1812compressed.jpg
    100_1812compressed.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 64
Wow, $40?! You did gooooood! Unfortuantely i don't know much about those kind of repairs but I just wanted to say she's real pretty!! :smile:

She's is suprising good shape...a few scuffs/spots on the bottom that won't clean up, and the brass is starting to oxidize just slightly. I had a $25 PayPal credit, so she was really $65, but only $40 out of my pocket (at least, that's what I'm telling myself :biggrin:).

There is a guy on Bonanzle that sells zipper pulls. I think you can ge one for less then $10 bucks. That's what I'd suggest. Since it's just the little pull I don't think the difference in leather would really be an issue. I THINK if you use any type of glue it'll either not be enough to hold it for long...but if you do use enough to hold it, it's glob thru and be too much!!! KWIM?!

JMO. I'd take it with a grain of salt!!! LOL

I had my zipper pull fixed on one of my Mandys (same prob) and the leather/saddle/cobbler shop charged less than $5 to fix it. If you really want to maintain the integrity of the bag, I'd run it by one and see how much they'd repair it for. Of course I live in a fairly rural area so I'm sure it'd be higher in a metro area.

Super glue actually does work on leather. I used to make Chinese knotted jewelry with leather and used super glue to hold the ends tucked in place. I'd recommend the gel type if you do go that route though. Worst case is it won't work and you take it somewhere for repair, but you won't really be out more than an extra dollar or two.

wow, I have never seen this bag go for that little! Is this the bag with the legacy lining or the MMF version?

I would take it into a shop and get a quote at least and see what they say....ot may be cheaper than buying the super glue gel. Super glue may carry a leather glue too.... worth looking into.....

wow, I have never seen this bag go for that little! Is this the bag with the legacy lining or the MMF version?

I would take it into a shop and get a quote at least and see what they say....ot may be cheaper than buying the super glue gel. Super glue may carry a leather glue too.... worth looking into.....

Yes, Legacy lining and all hangtags intact!! I was shocked that I was the only bid for this, but I think the scuff/dirt marks on the white scared some away. They've cleaned up reasonably well, but there are still some marks on the bottom corners. I've never used a white bag, so I think this is a good starter - I won't have to worry about mucking her up because she's already broken in a little (the first oops! is always the hardest to take, IMO). The lining was very clean, but this ripped leather zipper pull was not disclosed. Looking back at the auction pics, I should have recognized it because I have this same bag in both black and whiskey, but it wasn't obvious to me then, and for the price, I can't complain too much. I think I will try to find a leather shop in my area to see how much the repair would be.

They may just do it on the spot for you for free.....

I just bought this bag in rose for 80 ( 90 with shipping)....crazy cheap, but I am going to have to deal with smoke smell and some lightly rubbed corners but yes, I think it is the perfect starter white bag and the price can't be beat! I actually try to buy my more expensive bags used just so I don't have to go through the anguish of marking up a brand new bag....

Fantastic find!!!!!

The cobbler would be CHEAPER than glue actually... mine only charges $5 for stitching... so instead of spending more and making it look ghetto get it professionally done!

Oh, and careful on the brass cleaner, you don't want to take off the top layer

Last edited:
Good point, the legacy bags are antiqued brass, so the finish may be tricky.

I use Wenol for my brass and nickle works nicely but STINKS!!!!

If you have any green oxidation goo in between the leather and the brass next to the turn locks, you can CAREFULLY scoop it out with a toothpick or Bead Reamer...be careful though because you can scratch the leather if you are not careful.

If you use any kind of formula on your brass keep some apple leather conditioner close at hand in case you get some of the cleaner on the leather.....you will want to get that stuff off ASAP.....

Definitely take it to a cobbler or luggage repair. If you want to maintain the wite yourself try KIWI tennis shoe whitener. I use it on most of my white bags. Just test it first for color match and blend, blend, blend!