Tech Help Requested for Photographing Date Codes

Feb 23, 2014
Will you please help me learn how to better photograph date codes?

I am starting to sell a part of my collection, but I cannot figure out how to photograph date codes. Every picture I take is blurry, and, of course, buyers need date code pics.

Is there a type of camera or settings that would work best to capture the elusive date code stamp? I do not want to spend much (or anything) on a new camera, but I might have to.

I would appreciate ANY advice you can give.

In case it helps you give advice, the purses I am trying to photograph include an Epi cassis Speedy 30, a grenade Epi Alma PM, a cerises Sac Plat, a marshmallow vernis Bedford and matching wallet, a lilac Epi Soufflot, and a couple of non LVs. The colors and materials vary, I know, but I cannot get a good date code picture for the life of me!

Thanks SO much! :smile:

I am starting to sell a part of my collection, but I cannot figure out how to photograph date codes. Every picture I take is blurry, and, of course, buyers need date code pics.

Is there a type of camera or settings that would work best to capture the elusive date code stamp? I do not want to spend much (or anything) on a new camera, but I might have to.

In case it helps you give advice, the purses I am trying to photograph include an Epi cassis Speedy 30, a grenade Epi Alma PM, a cerises Sac Plat, a marshmallow vernis Bedford and matching wallet, a lilac Epi Soufflot, and a couple of non LVs. The colors and materials vary, I know, but I cannot get a good date code picture for the life of me!

I find natural light works best to capture the date code. No flash or direct sunlight.
I have captured date codes with just my cell phone camera so I don't think a special camera is needed.
Although it does help when you see professional pictures of everything.. a cell phone camera can do the trick as well. Those damn date codes are always in hard to reach areas, too! Sorry that's all I got for now. Good luck!

Hello, just letting you know it would be best to "Edit" your Post reguarding items you are wanting to Sell. Asking for advice on "How to" is permitted, listing items you are wanting to sell is Not. This is against Forum Rules, hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks so much for the advice so far! I will try your suggestions when I get home from work tonight and then try again in natural light.

It's funny that you mention the "steady hand" b/c I do not have one, and I tend to move the camera when I push the button! *sigh* I am such an inept photographer -- which is why I have posted no reveals. I will work on it! :smile:

I mentioned the items only in case the advice varies by materials. I assume there must be differences in photographing vernis, Epi or canvas and then differences in photographing light and dark colors. **I am not trying to sell on TPF.** I just know there are some very good photographers on TPF who could advise, so I wanted to be as specific as possible. I have read excellent photo advice threads, but could not find a date code specific thread.

Thanks again! :smile:

Try to get a friend to press the button while you hold the item steady or open. Or use Voice Activation setting on your camera phone. Good luck.

Try to get a friend to press the button while you hold the item steady or open. Or use Voice Activation setting on your camera phone. Good luck.

Don't but a new camera for this. It would be ironic when you are trying to make money.
Ask a good friend who has a good camera/camera phone to help out. With digital pictures the only cost is their time.

If you have an iphone I've found it handy to have an iphone mini tripod like the Joby then use the headphones as that is a remote trigger. Resulting in the phone being steady. And one hand available to hold the bag date code open. With the other triggering the shutter. Always adjust the light balance to the darkest part of your image by tapping on the screen. A small investment into the tripod is worth the result in better quality pics.

Example for reference. Using the technique. Image and item Not for sale. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406581749.825235.jpg

Oh my goodness!! Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

I have taken my first successful date code picture! All of the advice helped, and it worked outside and on the Macro (flower) setting.

If I can figure out how to upload it, I will post it as my first reveal! LOL! I am not very computer savvy either!

Yes, it would be ironic to spend money on a camera in order to sell handbags! Thanks to my fellow TPFers, I do not have to.

Thanks again SO much! :biggrin: You really made my day! Now I have to get back to work!

P.S. Well, I could not upload it b/c the file was too big. (?) If I can figure out how to fix this issue, I will upload my date code picture later. LOL!

I to take a small flash light or torch (no english sorry) to light up the datacode area and take the usual setting on my camera ... The light helps taking a clear picture and my mini torch also opens the bag better ... If that makes sence abd you understand what I do ...