Food Help! Raw Bacon Consumption

Porse

Dec 10, 2008
Hi Ladies,
This is my first post in this section, I hope this is the right place to ask this - -I cooked some cauliflower gratin with bechemel with bacon in it....it was the first time I've really used bacon...so i didn't really know that you needed to cook it before you put it in the dish....i just cut it in little pieces and placed it in the baking dish along with the other ingredients at 350F...15 minutes later--great dish--i ask my DH if this is how cooked bacon looks like -- he pauses ---looks like we ate raw bacon...and now i'm concerned about getting trichinosis or tape worm...anybody know the chances of this happening? what should i dooo?? I am so freaked out!!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bacon used: Oscar Meyer, naturally smoked bacon "with 30% less fat than regular cooked bacon"

TIA for any help you can give!

If you placed it in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit, it's obviously not raw, though it would not resemble bacon that you had previously pan-fried or sauteed. kwim? The fact that it was cooked in liquid at a lower heat, as opposed to pure fat at high heat (as you would in a saute pan), means that the resulting texture and appearance will resemble that of fresh bacon.

Yeah I would say try not to worry - wait it out. It was cooked a bit and the other the poster was right - it probably was cooked but just doesn't resemble what you are used to cooked bacon looking like

Hi Ladies,
This is my first post in this section, I hope this is the right place to ask this - -I cooked some cauliflower gratin with bechemel with bacon in it....it was the first time I've really used bacon...so i didn't really know that you needed to cook it before you put it in the dish....i just cut it in little pieces and placed it in the baking dish along with the other ingredients at 350F...15 minutes later--great dish--i ask my DH if this is how cooked bacon looks like -- he pauses ---looks like we ate raw bacon...and now i'm concerned about getting trichinosis or tape worm...anybody know the chances of this happening? what should i dooo?? I am so freaked out!!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bacon used: Oscar Meyer, naturally smoked bacon "with 30% less fat than regular cooked bacon"

TIA for any help you can give!

2" meatballs will be completely cooked through in 15 minutes in an oven that temperature. The bacon was most likely cooked but lacked the traditional fried bacon texture.

Porse, since you cooked it in the oven for 15 minutes you are going to be absolutely fine! No worries!

And it seems your Mom talked to MY Mom at some point in your life. :lol: I was raised thinking that if meat wasn't burnt that I would get some kind of parasite. I think I started eating pork after I graduated high school. Thanks Mom! :P

I also ate raw bacon before. Our italian friend would come over all the time in italy and we usually had a mix of american food bought on base and italian food in the fridge. She also usually brought a bag of food. She made eggs carbonara one night and assumed the bacon was an american form of prosciutto which did not have to be cooked. We were not watching her cook. We ate the food and then later on realized there was uncooked bacon in it. It was not in the fridge anymore.:shocked::thinking: My stomach was upset for a few days . Maybe from that but I was fine after it was out of my system.