Help: Range Rover vs Porsche Cayenne

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
It's time for a new car!

I used to drive an Audi A6 and absolutely loved it. It was the perfect car, fully loaded, and great for every day. However, we just moved to NYC, so I sold it. I was sad to see it go, but it was time, and I had racked up quite a few miles on it!

My BF and I live about 6 hours away from our families, so we decided that an SUV might be a good option for traveling. We have a dog, and it will be good to have all the room for her and our luggage. It will also be good for kids in the future, if we keep the car that long.

We have decided on the Range Rover and the Cayenne, and prefer to have the Supercharged for the Range Rover or the S or Turbo for the Cayenne. A big car needs all the extra power it can get (and also because I like to drive fast, haha).

My question is, does anyone out there have a Range Rover or Cayenne that can give me some advice and pros/cons on their SUV? I haven't had experience with either so I'm not sure about their issues. My sister just got a Range Rove Sport and her battery died the first day she had it out, so that worries me that they might have issues.

Thanks for anyone help and advice you guys can give me!

Between those two choices, I'd go for the Porsche. The quality issues with Range Rovers make me nervous - I have a friend whose parents had a couple of them, and the suspension went on both of them, they had engine issues, transmission issues, everything you can think of.

Have you looked at something like a diesel BMW X5 or MB M class? Considering the length of drives you are planning the diesel may be a good option for you and the fuel mileage savings with vehicles this size are crazy - I recently switched from a gas Jeep to a diesel (which is the MB diesel engine) and my MPG went from 15 to about 25... Also diesel is cheaper than gas up here (not sure if this is true in NYC or how easily you can get diesel & availability is something to consider!).

It's time for a new car!

I used to drive an Audi A6 and absolutely loved it. It was the perfect car, fully loaded, and great for every day. However, we just moved to NYC, so I sold it. I was sad to see it go, but it was time, and I had racked up quite a few miles on it!

My BF and I live about 6 hours away from our families, so we decided that an SUV might be a good option for traveling. We have a dog, and it will be good to have all the room for her and our luggage. It will also be good for kids in the future, if we keep the car that long.

We have decided on the Range Rover and the Cayenne, and prefer to have the Supercharged for the Range Rover or the S or Turbo for the Cayenne. A big car needs all the extra power it can get (and also because I like to drive fast, haha).

My question is, does anyone out there have a Range Rover or Cayenne that can give me some advice and pros/cons on their SUV? I haven't had experience with either so I'm not sure about their issues. My sister just got a Range Rove Sport and her battery died the first day she had it out, so that worries me that they might have issues.

Thanks for anyone help and advice you guys can give me!

Range Rovers are known for problems. But if your living in the city why not some kind of hybrid? Like the escalade hybrid and im pretty sure MB is making the ML in hybrid soon (if its not already out)

I've also heard about the Range Rover issues, which I don't like!

My parents have had BMWs for quite a few years now, and I've always thought I would get one, but for some reason I don't like the X5 as much as the other 2 choices. The design of it just isn't something I'm liking, well enough to make me add it to the list I guess. I agree with you though, a diesel engine would be better. I've never had one before. I think though since we won't be really driving that much, besides trips home, our monthly gas expenses will be really low.

Between those two choices, I'd go for the Porsche. The quality issues with Range Rovers make me nervous - I have a friend whose parents had a couple of them, and the suspension went on both of them, they had engine issues, transmission issues, everything you can think of.

Have you looked at something like a diesel BMW X5 or MB M class? Considering the length of drives you are planning the diesel may be a good option for you and the fuel mileage savings with vehicles this size are crazy - I recently switched from a gas Jeep to a diesel (which is the MB diesel engine) and my MPG went from 15 to about 25... Also diesel is cheaper than gas up here (not sure if this is true in NYC or how easily you can get diesel & availability is something to consider!).

A hybrid would be good - the problem with the Escalade is that I think it's just too big. We don't want to have such a big car, and I think they RR and the Cayenne are of similar size to each other.

Range Rovers are known for problems. But if your living in the city why not some kind of hybrid? Like the escalade hybrid and im pretty sure MB is making the ML in hybrid soon (if its not already out)

my husband just bought a new Range Rover and its been wonderful. No issues at all. I have always been a coupe or sedan girl...never liked the look/style of the SUV, with the RR being the only exception. I just love its design! I personally vote for the Range Rover b/c I prefer its look and design over the Porsche. Both are great cars, so you can't go wrong. I guess it depends on your personal taste and style! good luck.

I've also heard about the Range Rover issues, which I don't like!

My parents have had BMWs for quite a few years now, and I've always thought I would get one, but for some reason I don't like the X5 as much as the other 2 choices. The design of it just isn't something I'm liking, well enough to make me add it to the list I guess. I agree with you though, a diesel engine would be better. I've never had one before. I think though since we won't be really driving that much, besides trips home, our monthly gas expenses will be really low.

I don't drive that much either (probably 50km a week average when at school) but I still noticed the fuel savings.. My new vehicle is significantly larger/heavier but I still went from filling up every couple weeks to every five/six weeks.

I know how you feel about the X5. The inside is so nice and comfy (LOVE the BMW comfort seats!) but there's just something about the exterior I'm not in love with. I drove the M class when I was car shopping though and really liked everything about it, this generation is a much more attractive and better-designed vehicle.

I do like the idea of saving money on gas - with the hybrid/diesel options.

We haven't test driven anything yet, and are probably going to wait a little while longer (beginning of summer) to actually get something. It'll probably be used since I can't see paying $60-80k on a car, so maybe one that is 2 or 3 years old with low mileage. This means that it probably won't have a warranty anymore, which is something that makes me a littler nervous about RR and the issues they've seemed to have.

Any Cayenne owners out there?

^^ for the mileage issue - force the dealer to purchase an extended warranty for you as part of your deal. There are tons of extended warranty options out there.

I was goibg thru the same dillema a year ago- I bought a cayenne S at the end as I felt it was much more luxurious on the inside handlled better and was nicer to drive, the range is quite manly I feel compared to the porsche and my friend who has a range always has issues with it as the porsche I've just done the regular servicing and been fine hth

Well, the Cayenne is based on the same platform as the VW Touareg and the Audi Q7, so there's that. I know that RR quality has been dodgey over the past 10 years, but it seems to be getting a little better as the model matures. I'd go with the Porsche for quality and performance, but I prefer the RR for looks.
Have you considered a wagon? How bout an Audi RS6 :smile:

Faster than both the RR and the Cayenne and better mpg too.
audi-mtm-rs6.jpg

Last edited:
Hands down, I'd go for the Cayenne.

I had a Range Rover and had nothing but problems with it. We looked at buying another one, and the tester I was driving broke down over the weekend I had it! Really frustrating. Every single person I know IRL who has owned one has had major issues. The regular maintenance is also quite costly. Especially if you're going with pre-owned, I would avoid the Range Rover at all costs. I'm pretty mechanic/car saavy, and I will never own one again. With RR you are paying for the name and appearance, not mechanical stability.

Last edited:
You all are such big helps!! It's easy to go read things on the internet, but having advice from people who have had first had experience is much better!

Baby Boo - How old/how many miles are on yours (if you don't mind me asking)? Have you had any issues with it, other than the ordinary stuff, like head lamps out, etc.

Charles - I have seen the Audi wagons and think they are gorgeous, but I'm just not sure if a wagon is for me. I still can't get over the idea that wagons are for older people (my mom has a BMW wagon). When I drive her car I feel weird, haha. I have considered the Q5 or Q7 as an alternative, since it's a bit newer and not as expensive as the other two.

pmburk - oh no that's terrible about the test car! what did you decide to get instead of the RR?

I definitely want to get an extended warranty on whatever I get. I don't want to have to pay out of pocket for any issues!

^^ for the mileage issue - force the dealer to purchase an extended warranty for you as part of your deal. There are tons of extended warranty options out there.