Help Quick!!--foreign currency and paypal

1. Over at PurseBlog, we started a new series called Closet Confessionals in which we examine how readers and TPFers afford their bag addictions. Read about it in this intro article and submit your own confessional here. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. I am looking at an item on eBay that is located in the UK and I'm in the US.

How does this work when I pay with paypal? Do I pay an exchange rate? if so how much.

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm used to buying from US only. :s

I looked on the paypal site and could not find any info

thanks

2. go to Paypal's site and I am sure there is a place for coversions....I really don't know b/c I have never bought anything outside the US that I needed to pay foreign currency....check the paypal site...if not, someone else on this site can help you!!!

3. hi! yep - they add a 2.5% fee, included in the conversion rate
    =)

4. How does it work if you have to pay taxes or customs duty?

I don't understand. How do you pay it? I'm so confused. That's why I have never bought from a seller outside the US. i'm terrified of not knowing what to do

5. You as a buyer will not have any extra fees and the money will be charged from your account in the currency your account is (USD I assume?). The exchange rate paypal uses is their own and not the same as official rates, but it's not a big difference. You can request the seller to send you an invoice and just click "pay now" in it or go to your own paypal and select a amount and currency (GBP?) and just send the money and your account will be charged in USD.

The custom duty and taxes can add a lot to the final price. I'm not sure how the US system works, but I assume that there would be at least some extra charges.

6. thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice