Help - Purse for the wife

n00bie

Oct 17, 2007
I'm looking into buying a LV handbag for my wife as a Christmas gift. Since this my first time buying a purse for her (much less an LV) I have no idea what to get or the best place to get it from. I would really appreciate it, if you gals/guys can help me out. Here is some background info.

She is 5'2", on a small frame and already has a decent sized tote for everyday use, that she likes. So I think a smaller more causual evening/weekend bag would be a nice gift. I know she likes the Monogram design, but denim is a no no. If possible I would like to stay close to an $800 budget, but am willing to spend more if I find a good deal. I'm not really keen on buying a used one, unless its in mint condition (no scratch marks on buckels etc).

I was thinking something along the lines of "Multicolore (White) Eliza". Any suggestions?

I don't think you can go wrong with a basic Speedy. (If you're not too familiar with the styles, do a search on eLuxury.com.) Personally, I think the white multicolore is a bit too seasonal, she may want something she can wear year-round. If that's the case, you might be better off with the "regular" brown monogram. A Speedy 30 might be a bit big on her, so she may prefer the Speedy 25 instead.

what does she normally carry?
A bag in her hand or crook of her arm or always on her shoulder?
If she likes a shoulder bag, don't get the Speedy, go for a Batignolles Horizontal or Neverfull.

That purse you're thinking about is more than $700.

I think it depends on what she puts in her purse and if she likes hand-held purses or shoulder bags.

I think an Epi Pouchette would be a good purchase. Even is she likes to carry a lot of stuff, she can use the pouchette for a night out (to put in some CC and cash, lipstick and a camera). She can aso use the pochette as a "catch-all" accessory and put it inside her everyday tote.

Let us know what you end up buying her.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

She likes shoulder bags. We do not have any kids.

Is eluxury the only place online where I can buy new LV bags? How does their price compare to the LV stores?

This is the purse she currently has. So I was trying to get her something a little smaller. Are the ones recommended so far (Speedy, Batignolles Horizontal or Neverfull) smaller than this?

You are such a sweet husband to come on here and try to research the prefect bag for your wife. Not many men would do that. I know mine would go in and just buy anything and hope I like it.

I am more a shoulder bag type of a girl but I have to say I LOVE my speedy's. I am 5'3 and I tend to carry a ton of stuff in my bags. I have 2 speedy 30's and they are a perfect size. The 25 seems to small for me.

All the multicolore bags are all over $1000. The multicolore speedy is $2000.

I think the perfect first LV would be a speedy. Now comes the next choice. Mono, Damier, Azur or Epi. I would go with the classic mono.

I forgot to mention STAY AWAY FROM EBAY!!!!!!!! 99% of the LV's there are fake. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

If you do not live in either CA or TN if you buy it from Eluxury.com you do not pay sales tax. They offer free shipping quite often.

Thanks. I'll probably just endup getting the purse from the boutique. Because just in case she doesn't like my choice, exchanging would be much easier. From what I've read here, exchanging through elux will take a while. I'm planning to go to the boutique and check out all your recommendations within the next few weeks. I'll let you all know what I plan to get.