Help! Purchase at Outlet is Defective

Love$Purses

Apr 13, 2008
Help! I had looked at the IvyBridge Trench coat at $699 and decided to go back and purchase it at an outlet store. I got it home and looked inside it and the lining is sewn in crooked. It bunches up at the split in the back. It doesn't seem to affect the outside "hang" of the coat, but it's very obvious from the inside. I haven't purchased anything at a Burberry Outlet that I thought was obviously defective like that and I've bought 2 leather purses. Has anyone else had that experience? They will take it back, but I'm so disappointed that they would sell something like that...even at the outlet store. The tag says it's made in the USA. For Burberry to be thought of as such a high quality brand, this is awful. I'm just sick. What should I do? I realize that 30% off is a great savings, but I'm wondering if I would always be conscious of it. It's very obvious from the inside. What advice do you ladies at TPF have? Do you find obvious defects in your purchases at the outlets? I thought they were just a season or two old styles.

GhstDreamer

Lady Philosophy
O.G.
May 13, 2008
^I don't know anything about the Burberry outlets but maybe they do sell some defective items there? I know the Coach outlet also has defective items as well but my assumption with a number of outlets is that they carry seasonal items, outlet quality pieces and sometimes defective or not perfect condition items.

I purchased two of my trenches but in the store and they're in perfect condition. Personally I would bring the trench back because having bunchy lining would be a bit uncomfortable. I had it happened before with another designer and I returned it - it doesn't matter if it's not obvious to others but you're the one wearing it and you know it's defective and it'll bother you.

Love$Purses

Apr 13, 2008
Thank you for your response. I did take the coat back. The manager said that she wouldn't want to pay that much for it ($699) and have that problem. I've tried to call a few of the other Chelsea Premium Outlets where they have Burberry and none of them have my size. The manager said she could do a store search and have it transferred to her store and I could come look at it, but my exprience with doing that at Nordstrom Rack hasn't been so good. It's not like a regular store. It's unpredictable. Not sure what I'll do now, but it bothered me that they would sell something like that if Burberry is supposed to be known for their quality. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up back on the floor and someone else would gladly buy it and save 30% off of retail. Some defects I would be glad to do that, but this one was more glaring to me.

ADCamp2005

Alyssa
Mar 14, 2009
I'm glad you took it back. I think that you have to be happy with your purchase. Even at 30% off, it's still a lot of money for Burberry items. I would take her up on her offer to have one shipped to her store. It sounds like you aren't obligated to buy it if she can find one. Just check the next one over real good before you purchase it.