Help protecting my new baby!!!

ocean14

Jan 19, 2010
So I finally, finally bought my first LV. I decided on the mono BH, but now I'm afraid to get it out of the closet. I think I should use some type of leather protector for the vachetta, but I've seen mixed reviews on the boards. Any tips about what to do, how to apply (just the vachetta, what about the canvas, how many coats, etc.) would be SO appreciated. I really want to get this out of the closet for it's debut by the weekend. Thanks ladies!!!

Hi! I have personally used Wilson's protector spray on the vachetta of all my mono bags. I usually spray one coat, let it dry (it usually dries quickly), and then spray a second coat. I try to limit how much the spray gets on the canvas, but I simply wipe the canvas with a damp cloth when I am done. This product has worked WONDERFUL for me!!

Be careful when applying anything to the vachetta. Although it will protect it-it may darken it and also uneven. Some people feel different but I leave mine as is, and just really careful. I don't think the canvas needs any protection IMHO.

Thanks for the info Stacy, I appreciate it! Any other thoughts from you ladies on protecting and conditioning? How frequently? Any other products to definitely avoid??

Hi! Congrats on your new baby. I don't treat any of my bags either, only because I like the patina process. If I get marks or water spots, I do get sort of bummed out, but then I feel it adds character and reminds me of certain memories. That probably sounds really dorky...hehe...

But honestly...if you are worried about the vachetta getting ruined, I say don't use any products, just make sure to keep your hands clean as much as possible. One of my first bags was my Multicolore Speedy, and I was not careful with my handles AT ALL. They got dirty and there was no turning back. Eventually the rest of the vachetta turned the same color so now you can hardly notice!