Help! Pros & Cons please

zjajkj

O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
Dear All,

I am gonna purchase a 1st Chanel bag soon & i need ur help. Does the strap hurts? Those classic flap & e one pic below, do these metal strap hurt the shoulder? In Singapore is very hot, we are wearing sleeveless everyday. I need a bag that is good for everyday used, practical, wont hurts. I cant afford a classic flap, in Singapore, Chanel's prices are OVER-PRICED. Very ex here. In ebay also selling so ex, if any TPFer has good deals on cheap new Chanel medium flap black color, pls let me know.

This is lambskin, pros & cons pls?
Pros & Cons of e bag also:
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350110274161

Isit a good deal? Or i can get better deal? Pls advice me.. Anyone know how much is this retailing in Singapore?

TIA!!

If it gets that hot there, and you wear sleeveless, I wouldn't get a bag with a chain. The chain will get very hot as well and it will hurt/burn you. The regular classic flap with leather interwoven would be better, but the metal in that will still get hot.

I would try to find a Chanel that has a leather only strap...

I was in West Palm Beach for the entire month of August wore sleeveless dresses and shirts. I carried my jumbo flap with chain strap and had no issues at all with chain strap on my shoulders. It was 90 degrees most days!

You can find a better deal on that bag. It retailed for $1850 USD and was 40% off during the sales. I don't think you'll have a problem finding another black Soft and chain yet as they are still occasionally popping up on ebay. I've yet to carry mine sleeveless but I can tell you that it doesn't hurt when worn with a very light shirt. And the strap is actually pretty comfortable considering the heavy chain. HTH!!

The chain only becomes a problem if you really overstuff the bag to the point where it becomes really heavy. Then the weight of the bag will cause the chain to leave indentations on your skin. It's not painful, but it is noticeable. I remember once I walked into class, took off my Chanel portobello tote from my shoulder, and my brother (who's in my class) freaked and asked me what the he** happened to my arm. It was just really bad chain indentations on my skin. It's not painful lol, but it does leave a mark. It happens to me because I tend to weigh my bags down with tons of stuff.

The reissue chain, if left on a car seat on a hot summer day, gets very, very hot. Ask me how I know this. And unfortunately, I had on a sleeveless shirt. That primal scream you heard -- me.

Yeah I agree.. Chanel prices in Sg is WAY OVERPRICED!! to compare, I bought a metallic black reissue in Sydney store for AUD3520 --> after claiming for GST of abt 10% it became abt AUD3200. THen few days afterward I was just randomly checkin the price of the same bag (same size) in Singapore and they were selling it at SGD4670!! (wih the current exchange rate I suppose its approx AUD4600!!) it's a bloody rip-off i'm telling you.. so luckily i bought it in Sydney..

if you're getting your 1st Chanel bag, IMO you shud go and get yourself one of the classic. But if i;m not mistaken the medium classic flap retailed at approx SGD4050?or was it the bigger size? Sorry I can't remember.. btw the price was as at Sept'08

and regarding the chain, quoting missisa07 it shud be ok as long as you don't overstuff the bag

The reissue chain, if left on a car seat on a hot summer day, gets very, very hot. Ask me how I know this. And unfortunately, I had on a sleeveless shirt. That primal scream you heard -- me.

LOL, man, I hear ya. It gets upward of 115 degrees here in the summer. Just being outside with it on your shoulder can get very painful.

I am moving to Singapore and I have been there a number of times and I never had problems. The last time I was there I bought the Luxury Ligne bowler - and wore it immediately.

I find the reissue chain is usually too COLD when you are wearing a sleeveless shirt and indoors with AC up high! It gets icy cold! I never experienced it getting hot but then again I never had it out in the hot sun anyway. I imagine it would get really hot!

I find the reissue chain is usually too COLD when you are wearing a sleeveless shirt and indoors with AC up high! It gets icy cold! I never experienced it getting hot but then again I never had it out in the hot sun anyway. I imagine it would get really hot!

OMG, Luccibag you are so right!! I would die in Hong Kong in the overly cold aircon and my chain straps!! Always wore a sweater even when it was horribly humid!

If it gets that hot there, and you wear sleeveless, I wouldn't get a bag with a chain. The chain will get very hot as well and it will hurt/burn you. The regular classic flap with leather interwoven would be better, but the metal in that will still get hot.

I would try to find a Chanel that has a leather only strap...

gd point. Singapore is 32degress celsius... So hot & humid.. Thx

You can find a better deal on that bag. It retailed for $1850 USD and was 40% off during the sales. I don't think you'll have a problem finding another black Soft and chain yet as they are still occasionally popping up on ebay. I've yet to carry mine sleeveless but I can tell you that it doesn't hurt when worn with a very light shirt. And the strap is actually pretty comfortable considering the heavy chain. HTH!!

O i didnt know chanel sales is so much different.. Thx for letting me know abt e 40%. The cheapest deal i found nw is $1395. Gd deal? Is e bag heavy itself? Hw abt the lambskin material?

Last edited:
Girls, i'm pretty sure of getting that bag till all your pointers that say 'i shouldnt own it'. What should i do? Can anyone reccommand a bag similiar to a classic flap with turnlock opening/closure yet doesn't've e metal strap? :confused1:

Girls, i'm pretty sure of getting that bag till all your pointers that say 'i shouldnt own it'. What should i do? Can anyone reccommand a bag similiar to a classic flap with turnlock opening/closure yet doesn't've e metal strap? :confused1:

How much time do you spend outdoors? I always wore a sweater because of the aircon so the chains stayed cool and I tend to stay out of humidity as much as possible. I am moving there in Jan so I will be using all my bags - just not on super rainy days.

Well, I live in Miami....can't get much hotter and more humid than that....and I wear my classics, summer and winter., true, I don't wear the chains directly on my skin since my skin is not very "showable" anymore and is usually covered with a shirt or cotton jacket., but I have never had a problem with the chains in our hot summer or cold winter., again, they are never directly on my skin.

By the way, ladies from Singapore can order their bags from any of the USA main department stores with shipment to Singapore which might be a better price for you.:heart:H