HELP PLEASE- Scammed from Ebay Seller Contemporarynycdesign

gingerwong

bring me to rehab
Mar 9, 2011
HELP me, I have been scammed $900 US from an ebay seller called contemporarynycdesign. The person had an item on auction only style listing but I contacted them to see if i could buy it now and they advised yes, so I purchased a used Celine Micro Cobalt Blue luggage for $900 USD on January 6, 2013. I have not received the item, the tracking number provided states a shipping label was created but the item was not sent to the post office. I am so naive as she seemed too nice on the emails and accommodating. She lied about her name and address nothing added up. First she said she was Lynn Robertson from San Francisco and then payal advised me she is Wendy Xeus from petitecoutureluxury.com. The paypal tracking states sender address is from Yountville, CA and when I did a search on that address I get a different persons name of G. Grimm. I put a claim via paypal and won however, when they went to recover the funds, paypal advises that there was not enough money in the senders bank account, therefore i cannot receive the funds. Basically, she closed her bank and took all money out so I could not get my refund. I have BEEN SCAMMED, PLEASE HELP HOW CAN I RECOVER MY MONEY AND WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU, WILL PAYPAL COVER MY LOSSES OUTSIDE OF EBAY.? MY LESSON IS DO NOT BUY OUTSIDE OF EBAY EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD AN EBAY LISTING. I can't believe there are crooks out there like that, prey on the weak and naive and earn money in illegitimate ways. Seriously, i believe in what goes around comes around, eventually. I don't know why their are ****ty people out there, honestly it has turned me off online purchasing, ebay etc. She has made my experience HORRIBLE! ANY THOUGHTS OR INSIGHTS PLEASE

Call Paypal and tell them that your buyer protection should be in force and they need to give you the money. It's their place to go after the seller for their own reimbursement.

Another thought is that if you used a credit card to fund the transaction, file a dispute with the c..c company.

ETA: I assume this is the listing. It looks like you did the transaction outside of ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celine-Lugg...472?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item43b76c4348

I don't have much experience in this since I've been pretty lucky in the eBay department *knocks on wood* but shouldn't PayPal be refunding you the money then trying to get it back from her? I mean, they should have a way of tracking her open and closed accounts I would think?

Are you sure her account is closed? Maybe the reason PayPal is waiting to refund you out of their own pocket is because the seller's account is still active.

Of course this isn't a good excuse since it would mean she's already run off with your money, but did the tracking number ever update?

OP: Sorry this happened to you. There seems to be a lot of sellers with new accounts who sell premium designer bags. I wondered how they successfully scammed buyers if the buyers ultimately could get their money back. This apparently is one way.

You ignored too many red flags - new seller (if Been Burned posted the right listing), conflicts in seller information on PayPal, going outside of eBay, seller accepting TOO LOW price for Celine Micro. At least you didn't pay closer to the retail price of the actual thing. Do you have her real info, bc you could report her? This is a U.S. website to report internet fraud: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.

OP, if you funded your purchase with a credit card, contact your credit card &
dispute the charge.

Contact paypal with regard to your buyer protection... speak with a supervisor
& be diligent in this...

Keep calling til you get someone that will listen to you...

Keep us posted..

Call Paypal and tell them that your buyer protection should be in force and they need to give you the money. It's their place to go after the seller for their own reimbursement.

Another thought is that if you used a credit card to fund the transaction, file a dispute with the c..c company.

ETA: I assume this is the listing. It looks like you did the transaction outside of ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celine-Lugg...472?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item43b76c4348
Hi BeenBurned,

Yes that is the transaction and I did purchase outside eBay. I even tried to contact the other two buyers who bought from her but have heard nothing yet.

Unfortunately, I did not use a credit card, the funds came out of m bank account via PayPal. I am worried because the transaction was done outside of eBay. I thought she was honest based on the 2 positive feedbacks and from our email interaction. There are too many red flags, have been given 3 different names, 2 different addresses and when I look up the vendor info petitecoutureluxury.com they are based in Asia not the U.S.

I contacted PayPal and they are trying to recover funds from her account but has as of now there are no funds in the account.

I don't have much experience in this since I've been pretty lucky in the eBay department *knocks on wood* but shouldn't PayPal be refunding you the money then trying to get it back from her? I mean, they should have a way of tracking her open and closed accounts I would think?
Hi Hatfield1313,

PayPal is trying to recover the funds but I guess they can't recover funds when there is no funds in there or she eventually goes to the bank to close it. So right now I am SOL

Hi Hatfield1313,

PayPal is trying to recover the funds but I guess they can't recover funds when there is no funds in there or she eventually goes to the bank to close it. So right now I am SOL
That's not right. Paypal is supposed to protect you and the fact that the seller has no funds isn't your problem. That's paypal's problem and they can try to collect it from the seller. Their job is to make you whole because you used their services.

Keep calling until you get someone who understands their responsibility to you.

Are you sure her account is closed? Maybe the reason PayPal is waiting to refund you out of their own pocket is because the seller's account is still active.

Of course this isn't a good excuse since it would mean she's already run off with your money, but did the tracking number ever update?
Hi Black Elite,

I am not sure if her account is closed but PayPal sent me a notice stating "that Wendy Xeus at [email protected] did not clear from the sender's account. You have not received funds for this payment account. Please contact Wendy Xeus regarding refund. I have attempted to contact her but she does not respond.

She basically ran with the money with no receipt of product. I contacted USPS the tracking #EC771266411US still has not moved. I contacted USPS and the say we regret to inform you that we are unable to locate any delivery information. When I call the 1-800 number three times now, they say that there is no record of a package been delivered/accepted and that the investigation should and only be launched by sender. Then I asked if she launched an investigation and they say no. Why would should no open an investigation like she said she would if she actual sent it and it got loss. Does not add up

Please refer paypal to this link:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/popup/UAeBay-outside

a13. Protection for Buyers
13.1 How am I protected if I have a problem with a purchase?

PayPal Buyer Protection is available for purchases you make both on eBay and off eBay:

• Purchases made on eBay
  • For eligible items, protection is available for both items not received (INR) and significantly not as described (SNAD); and
  • Purchases made off eBay
    [*] For eligible items protection is available for INR only

In addition, for items purchased off eBay, you must meet all of these requirements:

Send the payment to the seller through:

• The Send Money tab on the PayPal website by clicking the Purchase tab and selecting Goods
  • The seller's PayPal checkout flow
The item you purchase must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped

Items purchased off eBay:

If PayPal finds in your favor on your claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs – with no cap on coverage

This is THEIR policy and they need to honor it. Again, it's not YOUR problem that the seller closed her account. That's for Paypal to deal with.

OP: Sorry this happened to you. There seems to be a lot of sellers with new accounts who sell premium designer bags. I wondered how they successfully scammed buyers if the buyers ultimately could get their money back. This apparently is one way.

You ignored too many red flags - new seller (if Been Burned posted the right listing), conflicts in seller information on PayPal, going outside of eBay, seller accepting TOO LOW price for Celine Micro. At least you didn't pay closer to the retail price of the actual thing. Do you have her real info, bc you could report her? This is a U.S. website to report internet fraud: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.
Hi Schmoo,

Yes that is the listing and yes I am naive, I ignored all the red flags. I don't know if I have her details other than email address [email protected]. Who know if I have the right person, first she told me she was Lynn Robertson, then PayPal says shis is Wendy Xeus, the USPS says sender address is in Yountville. CA when I look up address I get a different person. Who knows who this personis man or woman. I will however use that address to report fraud, I will launch an investigation. These type of peeps need to be investigated so others don't get scammed. Awareness is key.
Thanks for your inputand help I will go to that website.

Hi Black Elite,

I am not sure if her account is closed but PayPal sent me a notice stating "that Wendy Xeus at [email protected] did not clear from the sender's account. You have not received funds for this payment account. Please contact Wendy Xeus regarding refund. I have attempted to contact her but she does not respond.

She basically ran with the money with no receipt of product. I contacted USPS the tracking #EC771266411US still has not moved. I contacted USPS and the say we regret to inform you that we are unable to locate any delivery information. When I call the 1-800 number three times now, they say that there is no record of a package been delivered/accepted and that the investigation should and only be launched by sender. Then I asked if she launched an investigation and they say no. Why would should no open an investigation like she said she would if she actual sent it and it got loss. Does not add up
I'm not sure how you would report a fraudulent website to the website host, but this site should be reported:

http://www.petitecoutureluxury.com/celine.html