Help please-Is no zipper closure secure?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello,
    I'm mostly a lurker, but need some expert advice please. I love Mulberry bags, but we can't get them in Canada. My daughter will be able to pick me up a purse in Dublin and I just wonder about the security of the bags without a zipper closure. I'm interested in a Greta (the HoF lady has me on the list for Great Hobo in plum!!!), but it looks like the tassels just flap over the opening. I've never had a purse without a zipper and wonder if you all find yours secure. Thank you!

2. Hi there and welcome!:biggrin:
    We have not had a reveal here of a Greta yet - you might be the first one! Although there are a few of us that are ever so curios of the bag as it looks lovely on the pics.
    I have never had a problem with my bags without a zip - I don't think its completely open? You will most likely be able to keep your wallet, keys etc in a zipped pocket inside the bag (might be worth checking if the Greta has that).
    The Greta Hobo in Plum is a bag I have been waiting to see for a loooooong time, hope you'll love it and please shoe it here for us!

3. My bags without zips are all just fine. I guess it depends on the way you would carry them. For instance, my Mitzy hobo bags are all shoulder bags & due to the way I carry them, they are quite securely tucked under my arm.

I hope that you get the bag you love soon :biggrin:

4. Great to see a slowly growing Canadian presence on the forum! :yahoo:

I wonder if we can start a petition for Mulberry to work on getting a store (or four?) here. The forum here is fantastic, and there are websites and such as options for international folks like us, but it would be nice to have the option to see and touch things in-store before making a decision.

My Daria satchel is zipper-less, with just a magnetic closure under the flap, and I've had no problems or worries concerning things falling out or people getting in. I also have two other non-Mulberry purses with a similar opening and no problems with them, either.

As for the Greta, it looks lovely! I hope your daughter's able to snag one for you during her trip. :nuts:

5. Hi All,
    Thank you for your replies and reassurances about the closure ~ I really love the look of that bag!

ditzyfordaria ~ I agree! Even if Mulberry didn't have a stand alone store, I'm surprised they wouldn't want to get into Holt Renfrew. I got my first one in Heathrow in 2008, but before that, I had never heard of the brand. Luckily for me, my daughter goes to university in Dublin, so I'll have another 5 years of Mulberry opportunities!
    I see you're from Toronto ~ how did you discover Mulberry?

6. Mlle chance, if your daughter is at Trinity, Brown Thomas is just a couple of minutes' walk away on Grafton Street, and she could check out the Mulberry boutique there. I'm pretty sure the Greta is in stock...

7. I totally agree, re: Holt. I was shocked when I went in to ask if they were carried there (even though I had checked the website and Mulberry wasn't listed) and the woman either didn't immediately recognize the name or had never even heard of it before.

As for how I discovered Mulberry, I think I stumbled across it when I saw a celebrity wearing a M-berry bag. A few hours worth of internet searching later, voila! I was hooked. Not long after I found this forum and it's been a happy Ditzy ever since -- though my bank account isn't so happy (two Mulberry bags off eBay within a month and a half) but it's only money, right? :biggrin:

8. When thinking of it none of my M-bags has a zipper. The ones with open tops is mostly carried tucked under the arm. Never saw any problem. I once had a top zipped M-bag but found out I didn't like the zip.

9. I was just thinking the same, Lakrits, as my Bays Clutch is also zipper-less!

I think the real question is, which bags DO come with zippered-tops?

10. In fact I even like bags without zippers better, because zippers can break, get stuck and things like that. Besides, last year my wallet was stolen from my bag, which was closed with a zipper... so a zipper gives no guarantees either.

11. #11 Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    The ones I can think of are Mollie, Joelle, Daria hobo. And there is also a messenger (not a present model), can't find the name just now :P

Now I remember, Seth is the one !

Knightsbridge is another top zipped model.

12. #12 Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    And Mabel !

Shimmy, Maggie and Smithfield !

Some Milton and Jody

Euston and Drew clipper

Araline

13. Thinking about my collection, most DON'T have a zip and I've not had any problems with any of them security wise. I think they're also much easier to get in & out of, less hassle!

Good luck in getting a Greta, I'll look forward to seeing it when you reveal :biggrin:

14. Wow!
    The verdict is in, then! No worries ~ thank you all so much for taking the time to post! I just realised my Antony doesn't have a zipper closure either....but I guess it's so small, and I use it as a messenger, I didn't consider it a "purse" purse.
    My HoF representative just emailed me and said the bags were dispatched and should be in this week. The only hard part is, my daughter won't be coming home until Christmas! I'll get her to take some pictures for me.

I love the fact that you don't see many in Canada, but it would be nice to be able to see them all in real life.

15. Scary thing is, it's not really that long until Christmas! :nuts:
    But what torture. Having it.. but not. What great news to get on a monday morning!

Exactly how I feel.