Help Please! Anyone has the bottom lip asymmetry after mandible reduction surgery

I'm about 5 weeks post zygoma and vline surgery and I'm still recovering from a wonky right lip. It's the mandibular nerves that got injured. This nerve control the depressor anguli oris which is resposible for depressing your lip. Most likely it's not permanent unless it's severed. I've been doing mouth exercises like saying "a, e, i, o, u" and making grimaces. I can smile normally now but it's still a little indented (but less obvious now) when I say "O" and "P". But the fact that I can see improvement means it's recovering. Give it about 6 months before freaking out - that's what I told myself. Good luck!

Reactions: soyeon and heylo
I'm about 5 weeks post zygoma and vline surgery and I'm still recovering from a wonky right lip. It's the mandibular nerves that got injured. This nerve control the depressor anguli oris which is resposible for depressing your lip. Most likely it's not permanent unless it's severed. I've been doing mouth exercises like saying "a, e, i, o, u" and making grimaces. I can smile normally now but it's still a little indented (but less obvious now) when I say "O" and "P". But the fact that I can see improvement means it's recovering. Give it about 6 months before freaking out - that's what I told myself. Good luck!
Hi Valenrina, may I please ask where you got the surgery done?

Heya Ive had mandible reduction done years ago and I also had my zygoma a month ago. Lip asymmetry is a common and most often temporary occurrence. What you are experiencing is motor nerve paralysis. It usually comes back within 3-6 months. For example after my zygoma reduction I couldnt purse my lips together to blend my lipstick haha. Now I can do it 70 percent as well as before the zygoma reduction and as more time passes the paralysis will be a non issue as the nerves heal themselves.

Ive learn from my facial contouring that one way you can identify any serious damage is if you lose mobility of the tongue. If you have free mobility of the tongue then likely there is nothing serious wrong. While I was overnighting at the hospital after zygoma the nurses and dr kim kept telling me to move my tongue in front of them in various directions in order to ensure theres been no permanent motor damage.
Hi K Counture, may I ask at which clinic did you get your surgeries done and which doctor(s)?
Thank you.

I just had my mandible reduction surgery done. Now it is 20 days post op......... However, my left bottom lip cannot move at all.
If you cannot move your lips. The nerves is damaged... no doubts about that, I speak from clients I'd seen in the hospital (here in Thailand) and also extensive research I've done for my preparation for my own surgery in the future.

Don't lose hope tho., you are well and alive. There are swelling around those facial nerves due to the work you've had and those swelling may very well be compressing those nerves. (Rare but it happens..) Also damaged doesn't mean dead, your body will try it's best to repair itself. Eat Healthy, Take Vitamin C, Multi-Vitamin and possibly more pain killers which helps with the swelling.

no worries my dear hope you heal well. You will start noticing improvements as the days go by. Like now I can rub and purse my lips together when i do my lipstick. Tho it still takes some effort haha but I feel I also heal slower than most people as Ive had so much facial work done so there's prolonged partial paralysis for me compared to surgical virgins. Plus i have much more scar tissue from all the incisions ive had over the years intraorally

Hi, K couture.

I keep waiting for 4 months. Unfortunately, lip asymmetry is still there. There is no sign of further improvement over time. It seems the damage is kinda severe.

Do you have any suggestion or advice how to deal with motor nerve damage?

Thanks a lot !!!

Hi, K couture.

I keep waiting for 4 months. Unfortunately, lip asymmetry is still there. There is no sign of further improvement over time. It seems the damage is kinda severe.

Do you have any suggestion or advice how to deal with motor nerve damage?

Thanks a lot !!!

4 mo. is not that long, nerve regeneration can take even 6 mo. Exercising facial expressions in the mirror, can help the re-innervation. Hope you get better soon.

@ppsusan just to let you know that my lips are perfectly normal at about 8-10 weeks post op. I can make the "O" and the "P" perfectly now. How are you recovering? I think the mouth exercises really helped me a lot. You can go over the Internet and they'll show you how to do those exercises. Cheers.

Dear all,

I just had my mandible reduction surgery done. Now it is 20 days post op.

I noticed my bottom lip asymmetry a week ago. I pointed to my surgeon in Seoul. I was told it is still being recovered and should recover after months.

However, my left bottom lip cannot move at all. Right bottom lip can move and lower the right bottom lip. On the contrary, my left bottom lip is completely frozen.

The terrible thing is I already left Seoul and went back to hometown. I visited local hospital in general. I was told it might due to paralysis of the left marginal mandible branch of the facial nerve. I am extremely scared.

The surgeon refused to claim it is due to nerve damage and keep requesting me to calm down and wait till full recovery.

Does anyone has the similar symptom as my case? Any advice or comments are highly appreciated.

Please help !!! Many many thanks !!!
Hey which. Hospital did u go ? I m planning to get the lower jaw advancement too but they said u better get two jaw many hospitals r pushing me to have two jaw rather than lower advancement thought I don need two jaw
Help needed