Help picking out pearls from pearl paradise.

I.WANT.IT.ALL

Sep 5, 2010
I wouldn't mind mikimotos but I had purchase my mom a mikimoto strand necklace a few years back. I know those will eventually be passed down to me but I want something now. I also have a pair of mikimoto studs but not sure of the size. I also want something larger. The one I have is pretty basic grade and size. Maybe 5mm?? Not sure can't seem to find my receipt.

I was looking on PP and found two sets similar in price and wanted some opinions. Don't know too much about pearls.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set747.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Full-Set-of-6570-mm-White-Akoya-Pearls103.aspx

Is it a huge difference in size? I can't seem to find a pearl size chart like they have with dia studs and solitaire.

I live in a small town and the only jeweler that carries mikimotos always have a small stock and I would hate to ask for them to order something just so that I can try it on for size. Should I not buy a set and just get a necklace and studs only, forget the bracelet? If so, any rec? I would like to stay under $600.

Thanks so much!!

tbbbjb

O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Here is a link to "What Size is Right for Her?"
http://www.americanpearl.com/whatsizisrig1.html

I have bought my pearls from them and I could not have been more pleased with the quality, I compared mine to Mikimoto's and Tiffany's best pearl strands and they did not touch what I bought at American Pearl. I purchased the 7.5-8.0 size. It is not too big or too small, it is the last of the smaller sizes before you start going into the MAJOR money. This was 6 years ago and I still get compliments EVERY time I wear them. They are also very knowledgeable and are willing to answer any question you may have (and NO, I do not work for them, just a very impressed customer). Read the "What Size is Right for Her?". Hope this helps you.

explorer27

Sep 14, 2010
Best Coast
Will you use the bracelet a lot? Are you petite?

Personally I would just get the 6.5mm-7mm Akoya necklace and earrings. I always wear a watch so bracelets don't get much use for me and they're a little too fussy.

I got a pair of studs from Pearl Paradise a couple of months ago. 6-6.5mm Akoya with rose undertone and white gold backings. LOVE the rose undertone but I'm really considering exchanging them to upgrade to a bigger size 6.5-7mm studs instead as the smaller ones don't quite pop as much as I like. I'm 5'7 and size 2 for reference.

I'm very happy with the purchase and they have great customer service. Attached are some gratuitous ear shots.

Let us know which ones you decide on.

Attachments

MillyT

Dec 4, 2011
Explorer27 those pearls look fabulous on you !

tbbbjb I second you on American pearl. I have two akoya pairs from them, one 7-7.5mm AA white w/ silver overtone for work, another pair 9mm AAA white w/ rose overtone to dress up a bit. Would love to get 10+mm south sea ones in the future! But if you can't decide on what size to get, it's probably a good idea to try different ones and see how they work in real person before making a major purchase online.