Help! Perfect dinner purse?

alexa222

O.G.
Jul 20, 2007
Wonderful ladies and gents of tPF I need your help! I'm going to a black tie event with my DH, and I just picked up the perfect black evening dress today (it's in black satin, full length with 1" thick straps at the shoulders).

Problem is, I don't have an evening clutch/purse to match! I am totally in love with the satin aumoniere but it's waaaay over my budget and no longer available. The SA at LV suggested the vernis sunset boulevard, mono beverly clutch and epi montaigne clutch, but somehow none of these did it for me.

I have a white MC wapity but I think it may be too casual?

Help me find the perfect clutch/purse! (As much as I love LV, non-LV suggestions are also most welcome!!) :confused1:

Wonderful ladies and gents of tPF I need your help! I'm going to a black tie event with my DH, and I just picked up the perfect black evening dress today (it's in black satin, full length with 1" thick straps at the shoulders).

Problem is, I don't have an evening clutch/purse to match! I am totally in love with the satin aumoniere but it's waaaay over my budget and no longer available. The SA at LV suggested the vernis sunset boulevard, mono beverly clutch and epi montaigne clutch, but somehow none of these did it for me.

I have a white MC wapity but I think it may be too casual?

Help me find the perfect clutch/purse! (As much as I love LV, non-LV suggestions are also most welcome!!) :confused1:

Well, personally I think that white MC Wapity is MUCH too casual for the outfit you're interested in. As far as simple clutches that will go with most outfits and costs less than the options you've mentioned and think are too expensive, I'd check into Laura Merkin. Simple, recognizable, elegant and a lot of color/fabric options. Most could be worn with evening wardrobes or jeans. The smaller ones are around $180-ish, larger about $220-280 depending on materials. I have a black patent one and a gunmetal croc-embossed one.

Your dress sounds absolutely lovely. I use my Amarante vernis sunset boulevard for evening wear and the great thing is that I can also use it during the day. Enjoy the event whatever purse you decide to carry. :yes:

i was going to suggest the beverly clutch since its my favorite evening purse, but you said it didn't do anything for you. My second choice isn't LV, but I love the channel quilted clutch in either lambskin or black patent leather

How about the Black MC Pochette. I think that would add a nice pop. I wear my Black MC Pochette along with many of my dressier dress evenings and it looks great.

I KNOW this is the LV forum but to be honest, I haven't seen a clutch from LV that I like! None of them from LV are blingy enough for me since I tend to wear pretty plain black dresses. If you do a search on purseblog, Megs did a few reviews on some clutches that were TDF with the right amount of bling and classiness! Actually, I'd rather get a clutch from Katherine Kwei vs. an LV right now.

Thanks so much for all your quick responses! I am looking through Meg's posts on clutches even as we speak. Lauren Merkin clutches look nice - they actually look somewhat similar in style to a Belen Echandia clutch that Meg also mentioned.

The only LV clutch that I've truly fallen in love with is the satin aumoniere. :crybaby:

Here's the dress I picked out. I know the sunset boulevard would add a great pop of colour. Maybe I'll change my mind about it if I look at it more. LOL.

i have a red epi accessories pouch that I use for these occassions. Or you can consider the Eva, it is pretty blingy with its gold chain if you don't mind the monogram.

Well, personally I think that white MC Wapity is MUCH too casual for the outfit you're interested in. As far as simple clutches that will go with most outfits and costs less than the options you've mentioned and think are too expensive, I'd check into Laura Merkin. Simple, recognizable, elegant and a lot of color/fabric options. Most could be worn with evening wardrobes or jeans. The smaller ones are around $180-ish, larger about $220-280 depending on materials. I have a black patent one and a gunmetal croc-embossed one.

It's Lauren Merkin, she does have wonderful clutches for around $200, I have a metallic red one and it's gorgeous!

I suggest the metallic silver lambskin Louise:
LC4CL12-SIL_FULL.jpg

I alternate between my pomme sunset boulevard (which seems to have been LE and tough to find. The amarente is beautiful too), my black epi pochette accessoires or my Azur mini pochette accessoires

Not sure if the azur would go with a formal dress but may be worth looking at the mono/damier, the gold chain does dress it up and its not as big an investment as the others (on 'off days' I sometimes use it to carry extra cards in my speedy - so it was easy to justify :tup:)

Black MC pochette could work too if the dress doesnt have too much detail?