Help! Paypal refund from seller:Will I lose out in currency conversion/fees?

bibliophile

Newly obsessed
Mar 27, 2008
Hey all, couldn't find any old thread on this, so need some help!

Basically, what happened was I had sent the seller money for an e bay auction via paypal (He accepted an offer for a bag). Since the auction was in US$, paypal had to convert the money first as my CC is not US-based. But the seller promptly refunded the money, and told me it was because he had found another buyer willing to pay more, and asked for a mutual withdrawal. I've agreed to it over email (don't want any hassle, would rather just look for another bag), but haven't yet done so officially over e bay.

Problem is, I'm wondering whether I'm going to lose money

1) Will paypal just refund the exact amount they took from my CC, or will it be subject to the conversion and reconversion rates? (which will mean I could lose heaps!!!?!?!)
2) Is there a processing fee?
3) A currency conversion fee?

(btw: I can't check my CC transactions online so I can't find out via that route, not till the statement comes anyway)

Thanks much in advance!

The refund will be subjected to the conversion and reconversion rates of the day, but I don't think there is any fees applied on you. You may lose a little bit of money but not overly much.

Tell the seller his bailing out caused you a loss of $xxx and would like him to pay you back. I would not agree to the mutual withdrawal until he pays up because he's the one who failed to complete the transaction in the first place.

The refund will be subjected to the conversion and reconversion rates of the day, but I don't think there is any fees applied on you. You may lose a little bit of money but not overly much.

Tell the seller his bailing out caused you a loss of $xxx and would like him to pay you back. I would not agree to the mutual withdrawal until he pays up because he's the one who failed to complete the transaction in the first place.

Good to know, thanks! Yeah, sounds like a good idea, will do.

Yes, it will for sure.

I purchased a necklace from France a few months ago and I never received it, so I filed a dispute, PP sided with me, and they refunded me my money. The conversion took effect, as well.

yeah i won the auction, or rather he accepted my offer.

Oh man, I just told him that he'll have to pay me for the conversion amount I've lost and he told me that that shouldn't be the case and I should, instead, check with paypal and ask them to refund the money I lost in the currency reconversion.

OMG I'm so mad now. He's actually opened a non-payment dispute now?!?!?!? WTH?!?!? Ok to put this into perspective, I did take 7 days to pay, but when I did, he refunded me within several hours saying that he had found a buyer willing to pay more. But I DO have 7 days to pay right? (And I DID!!!) For some reason, my payment isn't reflected on my ebay page tho (it says "need to pay", but I have all the paypal emails, and my account log to prove it.

OMG this isn't going to be on like my permanent record or anything???? ARGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!

And I'd rather work this out than escalate it, don't want the hassle. But I'm really mad now :cursing:

OMG I'm so mad now. He's actually opened a non-payment dispute now?!?!?!? WTH?!?!? Ok to put this into perspective, I did take 7 days to pay, but when I did, he refunded me within several hours saying that he had found a buyer willing to pay more. But I DO have 7 days to pay right? (And I DID!!!) For some reason, my payment isn't reflected on my ebay page tho (it says "need to pay", but I have all the paypal emails, and my account log to prove it.

The non-payment dispute is the first step of the mutual withdrawl - then you both have to say you mutually agree not to complete the transaction.

Maybe if it looks like you still have to pay, the payment part of the transaction just got negated without going through all the conversions? It might be worth contacting eBay/PayPal to see how this all works.

oooooh ok. thanks. oh dear, i just sent a rather strongly-worded and unhappy email to the seller asking why a non-payment dispute has been opened. OOPS!

Ok, will do. Thanks all