Help! Pave Frivole or Socrates Earrings?

WG Pave frivole or WG Socrates 3 Flower Earrings?

• Frivole

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Socrates

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

lovevca

Apr 13, 2017
I've been away for an extended period because of illness, but I'm finally back "in action" and want to get myself something special for a big birthday coming up. I've decided to go for some bling and have (tentatively) narrowed it down to the pave frivole and 3 flower socrates earrings, both in white gold.

Initially I was sure I'd go with the frivole because it's been my favorite VCA design (I own both the large and small yg earrings). But then the socrates caught my eye. I've tried both on and I think they look equally nice and would, if i could, get both.

From reading past comments, I gather there are others who also find the socrates earrings stunning but that the frivoles remain considerably more popular. Incidentally, when it comes to VCA diamond earrings, I already have the pave yg vintage and wg large fleurette earrings.

I'd love people's thoughts and help -- thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I prefer the Frivole design more simply because it's elegant and simple. Once you get the earrings, do get the ring too. The socrates 3 flower design is a bit complicated for my taste and wouldn't hair be more caught up in them?

If Frivole has been in your heart for such a long time, don't be tempted to "switch" once you're at the store. I used to do this, but my heart still gravitates towards my first love.

Happy birthday! And I'm glad you've recovered from your illness, health is the most important asset we have. Take care!

Thank you so much, Grande Latte, for you kind and helpful comments! Yes, health is the most important but VCA's been a salubrious distraction:biggrin: I see your point about the beautiful simplicity of the frivole, something I have certainly been drawn to, and hadn't even thought about hair issues -- I have long locks. And there is something special about love at first sight....

This is a tough one. Like you, I have (and love) the frivole earrings. Since you already own two pairs with this design I might suggest that you try the Socrate earrings. They are really beautiful and will diversify your collection.
I have the frivole earrings myself in pave (and large yg and sweets) but would love to add the Socrate earrings someday.

They are both lovely designs, so you can't go wrong with either. Did you get pictures of both on you when you tried them on? I think it is really going to boil down on which you like seeing on you the best.

I love them both-- both for their unique designs. I love how the frivole sits up on the ear, and I love how the socrate can hang below the ear. In the past the socrate hasn't get as much love as the frivole here on tpf, but it is really is a beautiful earring.

I have modeling pictures, but sadly cannot post them. I used Photobucket for years and they just recently went from being free to charging $400/year if you want to post pictures on 3rd party sites. I am not paying $400 , so my pictures are being held hostage . :sad:

texasgirliegirl: Hahaha just as I was thinking I should go with the frivole.....you made an excellent point about diversifying my assets :heart:. If you didn't already have the pave frivole (but had two pairs of yg frivoles and could only pick one) would you now go with the socrates earrings yourself?

sbelle: You and tgg both have such exquisite collections and taste and your both mentioning the socrates earrings and posting photos was a big factor in my considering them.:flowers::flowers: I do not have modeling photos but I do feel they both looked equally nice, though as you said, they "hung" differently. By the way, I took a screen shot of what I believe are your yg socrates earrings. I assume it's not as good quality, but it might be an option if you can still access your photos on "bait and switch" Photobucket.

Attachments

• yg socrates.png
    yg socrates.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,457
sbelle: You and tgg both have such exquisite collections and taste and your both mentioning the socrates earrings and posting photos was a big factor in my considering them.:flowers::flowers: I do not have modeling photos but I do feel they both looked equally nice, though as you said, they "hung" differently. By the way, I took a screen shot of what I believe are your yg socrates earrings. I assume it's not as good quality, but it might be an option if you can still access your photos on "bait and switch" Photobucket.

I just got an email from Photobucket today that said they wanted $500, not $400! But they did say they would allow members to download the photos back to their computers. lol -- I always kept my photos on Photobucket to hide the evidence :lol:

Thanks for including my pic here. :hugs:

I really do love the socrate. But I really do love the pave frivole too. :heart:

Don't you love how we are no help at all?

i have a soft spot for the frivole, I think the socrates are very pretty as well but my vote goes to frivole! I have the large and though I don't wear them much, I just so adore looking at them, they always put a smile on my face.

I would take the frivole over Socrates as I find the former easier to transition casual to formal.

Not saying the Socrates earclips can't do it & I think there are some women who can rock it. Just that my personal opinion is that Socrates more for formal occasions.

IMG_5172.JPG
I've been away for an extended period because of illness, but I'm finally back "in action" and want to get myself something special for a big birthday coming up. I've decided to go for some bling and have (tentatively) narrowed it down to the pave frivole and 3 flower socrates earrings, both in white gold.

Initially I was sure I'd go with the frivole because it's been my favorite VCA design (I own both the large and small yg earrings). But then the socrates caught my eye. I've tried both on and I think they look equally nice and would, if i could, get both.

From reading past comments, I gather there are others who also find the socrates earrings stunning but that the frivoles remain considerably more popular. Incidentally, when it comes to VCA diamond earrings, I already have the pave yg vintage and wg large fleurette earrings.

I'd love people's thoughts and help -- thank you in advance!
Here are photos of both pairs.
Hope this might help a bit.
Please overlook the crazy hair!

Attachments

• IMG_7861.JPG
    IMG_7861.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,590
Oh I am contemplating the exact same thing. I think TGG and Sbelle have great modelling photos, (above). I have asked for their guidance on this question in the past. I recently tried both on again, and the best advice that has already been given - see which complement you the most. Personally, I love love love the Socrates, but my earlobe is thin and I am not sure if I like how it fits on my ear. I would have to adjust the backing on the earring and make it looser and maybe it would hang better. The frivole is elegant and perfection. Although the 3-flower Socrates is not the most popular, I find it absolutely stunning!! Try both on, and take photos and really spend time looking at these photos before you make a decision. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either choice. Please share your decision with us :smile:

Reactions: texasgirliegirl
I haven't yet figured out how to reply to muliple posts so I'll go with the old-fashioned copy/paste method. First though I want to send a HUUUGE thank you to all of you for taking time to try to help!! :heart:

Sbelle: "Don't you love how we are no help at all?"
Hahaha, err NO...lol. What I'm gathering is that I may just have to get one pair now and wait for another milestone for the other. And I'm so glad to hear you can download your photos. They are a priceless source of enabling for this forum!

jssl1688: "I have the large and though I don't wear them much, I just so adore looking at them, they always put a smile on my face."
I know just what you mean about putting a smile on your face. I forgot to mention I also have the between fingers frivole ring and it's a joy to be able to see it all day. I'm curious though why you find you don't wear your large frivole much?

valnsw: "I would take the frivole over Socrates as I find the former easier to transition casual to formal."
You raise a very interesting point but it's so funny because I had the opposite impression.
The frivole, perhaps because the pave diamonds are close together, appear to me more blingy and therefore more formal whereas the socrates with the space in-between doesn't feel quite as flashy and therefore maybe better suited to daytime. I will revisit this because I'd love to feel comfortable wearing them casually as well.

TGG: "Here are photos of both pairs. Hope this might help a bit. Please overlook the crazy hair!"
Thank you so much for posting those lovely modeling shots though it honestly didn't clarify anything because they look equally stunning on you. ps. You seem to be incapable of a bad hair day!

coconuts40: "Oh I am contemplating the exact same thing"
I'm not surprised you have the same dilemma -- we seem to share very similar leanings, which I take as a great compliment. Please let me know what you decide and I'll probably just copy that.:biggrin: