Help....overwhelmed...closet... lots of clothes...

Mar 7, 2008
Ok, I have some good idea's for outfits and will put them together and then when I go to get ready sometimes I can't remember what I put together!!! Whats the best way to do this?
Should I have pics of all my outfits? pics of all my clothes? both?
I can't really organize it by outfit in the closet cause I have many layering or versatile pieces.

how do you ladies do it???

I put the same items of clothing together i.e. jeans together, top together, etc, in my wardrobe. And by colour! I don't do it but I do think that taking pictures of outfits of clothes and putting them up somewhere you can see them when getting ready would be a help and an easy way to remember them!

YEA I have a Lot. I keep going to count and give up! lol
I have a crazy amount of jeans! Haven't counted.
I was just wondering if anyone keeps an inventory or does the picture thing.
I have been taking pics of outfits as I go, so far. But I should probably dedicate a day to going through and trying on everything and making outfits and getting pics.

My closet is organized now, however I just have a lot. example: Alone I have 30 different black tops! (LOL) Not counting hoodies or anything. And I think some are in the laundry!

A few things that I or my friends have done...

First....Organize to Season... only have this season's clothes in your closet, store the off season clothes (i.e. Winter clothes...Summer Clothes, etc)

Next....Organize to Type... (i.e. all sweaters together...long sleeve, short sleeve, shells... jeans together...slacks together...etc)

Then.... Plan your outfits for the week. I personally cannot do this as my mood dictates my outfit but a friend of mine swears by this and she saves a ton of time in the morning by not trying mutliple options.

Finally...Put a basket on the bottom of your closet. Any clothes you do not wear for an entire season...eBay, consign or donate at the end of the season!

You only have 30 black tops? LOL.. I have a whole rack to black only ;) Har har. I am a completely anal freak about my closet and I own tons, and tons of clothing. If I didn't have it very specifically organized, I would lose things.

Here's how I organize my items.. and since I DO own a lot of black, the black tops have their own rack.

Top rack:
Color coded Pink, Red, Dark Red/Maroon, Orange/Yellow (like two items), Green, Blue, Purple, Gray, Brown, White
Second rack: All black clothing.. Now I have both the separate color categories and the blacks organized the same, though each color doesn't have each style.. It varies among the colors.
Strappy tops, Sleeveless tops, short sleeve 'special' pull over tops (aka, non-tee shirts), plain black baby tees (yes, I hang my tee shirts, but I have to, because there is nowhere else for them), printed baby tees, non-baby tee tee shirts, plain long sleeve black tee shirts, printed long sleeve black tee shirts, long sleeve 'special' pull over tops, button down shirts/other closures (ties, etc), pull over sweaters, cardigans/sweaters that open, jackets.
Bottom rack is pants and skirts which are all two per hanger, which I hate, but I just don't have room otherwise. I try and hang things together and color code as much as possible, but it gets messier than I'd like.
I have only one rack on the right side of my closet which has my dresses and long sweaters/coats on it.. Color coded and arranged by style within color category as well. I also have some shelves down the middle of the closet that have black tank tops in the first one, other color tank tops in the second (I layer a lot, lol, plus I wear them to bed), then short skirts that won't hang on hangers, then a shelf with some of my bags..

So yeah.. that was probably insane to everyone but me.

I found out about Dress Assistant through TPF.

http://www.dressassistant.com/

You can download the trial for free and see if you would use it.

Its like playing dressing up!!! You can take photos of all your clothes and then put them together into outfits (like the polyvore website).

Its great for me as I have a really tiny wardrobe but lots of clothes.. So I tend to use Dress Assistant to search for outfits that I have put together. So for example, I want to wear my marni dress.... I can do a search for Marni and then Dress Assistant filters all of the outfits I have saved that use the Marni dress. You can also log when you last wore an outfit etc (although I dont use that function)

Its great! Anal...? Possibly but great!! : )

Does anyone else think about the movie Clueless and how her wardrobe was computerized and she picked her outfits on the computer and her closet spun around to give her the right one. I always have been in love with that idea, lol.

I actually created my own Access database for my shoes.. pictures and all, though I haven't imputed all the info yet.

These are some great ideals. I have TON'S of clothes. I actually want to downsize. There is no need for 2 walkin closets and two standand size closets. I do toss things that I don't wear for an entire season, unless it's formal wear.

I found out about Dress Assistant through TPF.

http://www.dressassistant.com/

You can download the trial for free and see if you would use it.

Its like playing dressing up!!! You can take photos of all your clothes and then put them together into outfits (like the polyvore website).

Its great for me as I have a really tiny wardrobe but lots of clothes.. So I tend to use Dress Assistant to search for outfits that I have put together. So for example, I want to wear my marni dress.... I can do a search for Marni and then Dress Assistant filters all of the outfits I have saved that use the Marni dress. You can also log when you last wore an outfit etc (although I dont use that function)

Its great! Anal...? Possibly but great!! : )

You can always use Closet Couture too, which is like Polyvore but with your clothes! I use it, and it makes things a lot easier. Even though I don't have as many clothes as you, it surprised me how much simpler it made choosing outfits.

Oh, I did hire a stylist here locally a few times. She came out and worked with me for about 2 hours each time. She put together outfits, I put them on and she took a picture of me in them. Some outfits she put together and just took pictures of the outfits. Then she downloaded it all onto my laptop. For a while, each morning I got up I turned on my laptop picked out an outfit then grabbed it out of the closet. It worked well. I need to have her come out again and start that process up again.

I understand your dilemna! I have far too much clothing (and I even do a purge each season). The things I do:
-Jot down potential outfit ideas (best to do when new clothing is still fresh in your mind...the number of things I purchase and forget about is pretty astounding)
-Create a "lookbook" of outfit ideas from fashion magazines (that contain articles of clothing that you have or have similar versions of)

:smile:

Omg! Yes! The first time I saw that movie I sooo wanted her computerized wardrobe. I loved the idea.

Does anyone else think about the movie Clueless and how her wardrobe was computerized and she picked her outfits on the computer and her closet spun around to give her the right one. I always have been in love with that idea, lol.

I actually created my own Access database for my shoes.. pictures and all, though I haven't imputed all the info yet.