Help ; ) Opinions Needed ASAP - TIA!!!

robynbenz

Jimmy ChooAholic
O.G.
Oct 24, 2006
HELP!!!!!!!!Ladies,

I need some feedback as soon as possible. I have a 15 1/2 year old DD and she has been asked to Nanny over the Summer for a neighbor lady who she currently babysits for at night.

The lady is a single parent with one 6 year old daughter who DD has been watching for 4+ years and the Mother pays DD EXTREMELY well. (i.e. $10.00+ per hour) I know times have changes since I babysat over the Summers (I got $50.00 per week for 2 children, 10 hours a day), but she asked DD how much she would charge to watch her child everyday this Summer and DD has asked me what to tell her :confused1:

I have no clue what the "going" rate is, but I feel this lady is very generous and I do not want DD to be greedy, yet I want to give DD a good idea of what her hourly/daily rate should be.

DD is willing to do the housecleaning and will take girl to the park and the library etc. to keep her from just sitting around the house.

What are your thoughts ladies???

We live in Minneapolis, if that makes a difference!

Thank you All for your help:flowers:

I think $10 is pretty standard if your dd is experienced and CPR certified. If you feel it's too much money for your daughter, suggest a slightly smaller amount.

Thanks Jill & Laurie8504:flowers:

We're talking around 50 hours per week, as she is an attorney. She often has DD come over and take her daughter to the park so she can work at home or just keep her little girl busy so she can finish up some paper.

$10.00 per hour for a 15 year old:wtf:

She is certified and even took the babysitting certification course a few years ago, but holly cow! Times have sure changed. I thought DD was way overpaid, but maybe I am just too clueless:s

I think this woman greatly appreciates the service your dd provides and wants to compensate adequately. It sounds like your dd's not just sitting there letting the kids watch movies, if she takes them out to do things that's fantastic! This is practically a full-time job, if your dd is responsible enough to handle it I think you should let her, and $10 does sound appropriate to me. Maybe you could help her with a savings plan if it will be a lot of money for her?

Robyn, let her get the 10 an hour plus OT if there's any. Keeping a child busy and herself is a chore. Does she have a savings account already? Maybe have her put a certain amount in it and the rest is hers to do with as she please.

When DgrandD turns 15 I'm getting her a nice wallet, and in all of the card slots, I will put in gift cards. Tell her the limit on each card and let her see just how far her money goes. It appears from what my DD says, that when it's the DGD's money, she's tighter than a popcorn fart! lol we shall see. :smile:

I think this woman greatly appreciates the service your dd provides and wants to compensate adequately. It sounds like your dd's not just sitting there letting the kids watch movies, if she takes them out to do things that's fantastic! This is practically a full-time job, if your dd is responsible enough to handle it I think you should let her, and $10 does sound appropriate to me. Maybe you could help her with a savings plan if it will be a lot of money for her?

Thank you for your kind words. I sometimes forget she is responsible and I hope she does a good job for my neighbor. I would like to see her take the job and learn how to manage her money. She used to do modeling and commercials and when she received paychecks,we always made her put half in her bank account and she could spend the other half on "stuff" so she is used to that!

Robyn, let her get the 10 an hour plus OT if there's any. Keeping a child busy and herself is a chore. Does she have a savings account already? Maybe have her put a certain amount in it and the rest is hers to do with as she please.

When DgrandD turns 15 I'm getting her a nice wallet, and in all of the card slots, I will put in gift cards. Tell her the limit on each card and let her see just how far her money goes. It appears from what my DD says, that when it's the DGD's money, she's tighter than a popcorn fart! lol we shall see. :smile:

V_O, yes, dd has already gotten the bag bug:Push: but I have made her save half of every thing she makes when she babysits or does misc jobs and I also got her a Debt/Master Card, so when she gets money, I put the half she gets to keep in the Debt card so she doesn't have a bunch of cash to carry around. Then when she wants to buy something, it makes her stop and think about the purchase opposed to pulling out cash. She is in Drivers Training and will be driving soon, so she knows she will need to save enough money for gas and insurance. I wish she was a little more like your DGD:roflmfao:

$10+ is definitely appropriate. it's nice to see that this woman values good childcare and is willing to pay up for it. when i was younger and babysitting i was always shocked when people would offer very little money to care for their children.

I can't contribute a darn thing to help you, robyn, but I can tell you nannies in the DC/ Northern VA area make a LOT! My son's last nanny took care of one child 4.5 days a week for $600. After dil returns to work they will have to offer about $750 + gas money to care for the baby and the toddler.

Your daughter isn't being overpaid, IMO. It's just so startling when I recall what I was paid to babysit.

Your daughter must be very responsible and mature to engender such trust, Robyn! How fantastic!

When I was in high school, I babysat for an 8 year old. I would pick her up from school, and take her wherever she needed to go (music lessons, library, etc) and then bring her home and keep her company doing whatever until her mom got home. Her mom paid me $10 an hour, but that was well over 10 years ago (eek!). (Keep in mind that that was in Tribeca in New York.) It was a lot of money back then to my teenager self but I think I got more out of it than Jen or her mother -- it kept me out of trouble, gave me time-management skills and helped me develop a sense of responsibility.

Since babysitting rates are all over the place and your daughter has a grasp of money already from her experience as a babysitter, why not sit down with her and discuss what she'd have to compromise and what she'd gain from spending the summer working, and then helping her translate that into a number? It would be a great exercise!

I also live in the twin cities metro area, and I feel that rate is reasonable.

If you still feel like it's too much, have her put half of it into a bank account.

Your daughter must be very responsible and mature to engender such trust, Robyn! How fantastic!

When I was in high school, I babysat for an 8 year old. I would pick her up from school, and take her wherever she needed to go (music lessons, library, etc) and then bring her home and keep her company doing whatever until her mom got home. Her mom paid me $10 an hour, but that was well over 10 years ago (eek!). (Keep in mind that that was in Tribeca in New York.) It was a lot of money back then to my teenager self but I think I got more out of it than Jen or her mother -- it kept me out of trouble, gave me time-management skills and helped me develop a sense of responsibility.

Since babysitting rates are all over the place and your daughter has a grasp of money already from her experience as a babysitter, why not sit down with her and discuss what she'd have to compromise and what she'd gain from spending the summer working, and then helping her translate that into a number? It would be a great exercise!

Thanks so much ladies for your input:flowers: I guess I should just appreciate the fact that DD must do a great job and that my neighbor appreciates the work she does. I am also so out of touch with the cost of child care, I know I could not afford to have an infant at this stage of the game:amazed:

When DD was a baby, I was living in Southern CA and dropped her off at 6:00 am, picked her up at 4:430 pm and she was in a home with 2 other children and I paid $65.00 per week:oh: We moved to the Twin Cities when she was 2 and I paid $100.00 per week for similar hours. Yikes.... no more kids for me:nogood:

I definitely think $10/hour is NOT asking too much at all. Especially, if your daughter at 15 is WILLING to work 50 hours a week! That's insane and you have a special girl who likes hard work.

Teach her how to manage the "great wealth" she will obtain and she will have an awesome start to a savings!