Help on my cigarette-smelling Chanel!

meeowy

O.G.
Oct 17, 2006
Hi everyone! I have a bit of ebay problem that I hope you can help me. I recently purchased a pretty pricey vintage Chanel bag. I am okay with the condition it is in because I understand it is used, but the thing is... it smells terrible! The bag smalls like cigarette. Having no experience with cigarette-smelling leather, I let the bag air out for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the bag is still as smelly as before.

I have just e-mailed the seller inquiring about an exchange. If she refuses to return or exchange, and I file a dispute with paypal, do I have a chance in winning? I don't want to a "trouble-maker", but if I have known the bag would smell like that, I would not have bought it. Am I unreasonable to demand a refund? I don't shop much on ebay, so any insights would be greatly appreciated! :sweatdrop:

It's my opinion that any smells are part of the bags condition and must be disclosed, otherwise the item was not as described and I would file a paypal claim.
There is no way in hell that you are safely getting that horrid smell out of that bag without damaging the leather.

I'm not sure if you'd win if you file a dispute with Paypal, but I think you should do it anyway. At the very least, it might make the seller refund you a little to pay for the bag to be cleaned. Also, have you tried using baking soda to get the smell out? It may be more effective than just airing it out.

I have used baking soda and febreze spray very successfully in removing cigarette smoke from several vintage chanels. I lightly spray febreze on the exterior, add a pack of baking soda to the inside (if you can find the ones for your fridge, they work best) and put everything in a plastic bag for a few days/weeks.

you can also use kitty litter or charcoal.

Good luck w/ur exchange/refund!

I have used baking soda and febreze spray very successfully in removing cigarette smoke from several vintage chanels. I lightly spray febreze on the exterior, add a pack of baking soda to the inside (if you can find the ones for your fridge, they work best) and put everything in a plastic bag for a few days/weeks.

I did the same thing Regina and it really did work wonders!

Hi everyone! I have a bit of ebay problem that I hope you can help me. I recently purchased a pretty pricey vintage Chanel bag. I am okay with the condition it is in because I understand it is used, but the thing is... it smells terrible! The bag smalls like cigarette. Having no experience with cigarette-smelling leather, I let the bag air out for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the bag is still as smelly as before.

I have just e-mailed the seller inquiring about an exchange. If she refuses to return or exchange, and I file a dispute with paypal, do I have a chance in winning? I don't want to a "trouble-maker", but if I have known the bag would smell like that, I would not have bought it. Am I unreasonable to demand a refund? I don't shop much on ebay, so any insights would be greatly appreciated! :sweatdrop:
\
Why would you file a dispute because a bag smells just a little.?? Just febreeze it and call it the day. its not that serious.

and Paypal doesnt cover "bag smells"

\
Why would you file a dispute because a bag smells just a little.?? Just febreeze it and call it the day. its not that serious.

Yes, it is that serious.

Paypal does cover an item not as described, which includes smells not disclosed by a seller.

BE AN HONEST SELLER!!!!!!!!!!

You are not being unreasonable or a troublemaker! Good luck with your dispute, I would have done the same.

Linda

Why don't you spray Fabreeze on a paper towel and put it inside the bag. Another thing you could try would be one of those clothes dryer thingies that give laundry a fresh smell....

I have an ozone machine for pet odors and that would do it too.

\

Are you on crack? Cigarette smells are terrible and should always be disclosed. Getting a smelly bad is the same as getting a physically damaged bag.

I tried using dryer sheets, it didn't help. Since it is a delicate lambskin bag, I can't use Fabreeze in fear of wetting the bag. Thanks for all the response, you are all very kind!

Are you on crack? Cigarette smells are terrible and should always be disclosed. Getting a smelly bad is the same as getting a physically damaged bag.

Good point, maybe kittypurse is a smoker herself and doesn't realize how toxic cigarette smells could be to someone who never smoked. I can't even stand next to a smoker, I am that sensitive, I could never imagine carrying a bag that smells like cigarettes.

Is it ok to spray fabreeze on the exterior if it's a leather bag (esp lambskin)?