HELP! Oily! Breakouts! Acne! Need to change skincare routine

Franny210

Dec 29, 2006
So i've been researching different skincare routines via TPF and have been confused as to which one would be the best for my skin type.. i have very acne (mostly the obnoxious under the skin cystic ones) prone skin that is super oily and i can breakout if i breathe chocolate! I've heard a lot of great things about Mario Badescu products.. but Ulta is also offering the Murad acne line for $36!.. Help! what has worked out the best for you guys!

have you tried eucerin? They have a green line (not made in USA but sold in europe and elsewhere) and does wonders with the skin! It's not an overnight miracle but it truly helps!

the main compound is lactic acid 2%. Unlike Sacylic acid, it's a whole lot milder and helps in the long run!

You can also get clean and clear PERSAGEL. It has 10% benzoyl peroxide. My dermatologist recommends using it as a mask. Apply all over the problematic area and take off after one hour. Everyday.

Also, she prescribed me the same ingredient, BENZOYL PEROXIDE but in 5% for daily wear. I apply that over problematic aread (if I do have any, mine is the occasional monthly acne) and leave on all day.

Now, if you have oily skin that doens't mean you don't NEED to moisture. You should still use something. I found the neutrogena line too strong for MY face but who knows, it might work for you.

oh and I apply LA ROCHE POSAY effaclar A.I. on the cystic ones day and night and I swear they are gone after a few days. U do still have the "scar" or "color" mark for a week or two but that fades eventually. This one mixes sacylic acid AND benzoyl peroxide

It's cheap too $29 and it goes a LOOOOONG way.

ETA: La roche posay is the same pharmaceutical as lancome and loreal.

Last edited:
I've heard so-so things about murad. Mario Badescu seems to be a solid bet, judging from the reviews on tpf! I personally use Jan Marini and have found it to be excellent for the issues you describe (I'm combo/acne prone skin type). A poster already mentioned clean and clear benzoyl peroxide; I use Jan Marini benzoyl peroxide as a night treatment and found it to be much more effective than clean and clear's formula, with less flaking.
Good luck!

Sometimes simpler is better. Have you tried using basic skincare w/o the additives, like Johnson and Johnson's Purpose? That is actually derm recommended as well. I would say Cetaphil b/c it is gentle, but I don't think it cleans the skin well at all (it leaves my makeup on for me).

If you want something w/ medication for acne that is not a huge step process, PanOxyl makes soaps and creams too, that you can find in the drugstore.

I would try gentle w/o a ton of ingredients if your skin is upset at the moment.

Cystic acne needs a derm. I have the same lovely skin as you. I am 42 and have had it for over 20 yrs. I refuse accutane but that will clear it. I use tazorene/tazorac prescribed. and others.

if you have really bad constant acne i would recommend going to your doctor and getting a prescription for benzaclin. I've been using this stuff for almost 10 years - I tried to go off it about a year ago but my acne started right back up. if you use this stuff you will get clear and STAY clear.
i do have the occasional break out but it's always in the same spot (along my jaw line) because i rest my head on my hands a lot.

when i switched to my current doctor a couple years ago I told her i needed another prescription for it (was out of refills) and as soon as she saw the container she said "DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THAT STUFF!?!?!" and she uses it for both her and her daughter.

it's pretty expensive stuff but i only pay $20-$25 co-pay
oh and you want the big tub

the only bad side... i no longer apply it at night because it will change the color of colored pillowcases

wow.. thanks for all the help! I'm gonna have to talk to my general physician about getting on some long term stuff, but i feel like cystic acne emerges when i don't wash my face regularly or drink sodas and stuff. Off to Ulta... I'll let you know what the final verdict is

have you tried eucerin? They have a green line (not made in USA but sold in europe and elsewhere) and does wonders with the skin! It's not an overnight miracle but it truly helps!

the main compound is lactic acid 2%. Unlike Sacylic acid, it's a whole lot milder and helps in the long run!

You can also get clean and clear PERSAGEL. It has 10% benzoyl peroxide. My dermatologist recommends using it as a mask. Apply all over the problematic area and take off after one hour. Everyday.

Also, she prescribed me the same ingredient, BENZOYL PEROXIDE but in 5% for daily wear. I apply that over problematic aread (if I do have any, mine is the occasional monthly acne) and leave on all day.

Now, if you have oily skin that doens't mean you don't NEED to moisture. You should still use something. I found the neutrogena line too strong for MY face but who knows, it might work for you.

I have also had great results from Persagel (though I have been using Walgreen's generic version). It took care of my back-to-school breakouts very quickly. Though, it CAN be drying.

I went through a few months of bad break outs and in the midst I started working at Origins Skincare and learned something really interesting- one of their cleansers is a cleansing oil called Clean Energy which I was really hesitant to try; my skin is combination and the skin where I was breaking out on my cheeks was dry and my t-zone was oily so I didn't want to stray from the foaming face wash I had been using. My boss told me that the foaming face wash was a bad idea because it would dry my skin out more and to try the cleansing oil. I was really hesitant because I didn't want my t-zone to become oilier but she told me that an oil is great for everyone because it won't dry you out if you have dry skin and oil sticks to oil so it will help reduce oily skin's appearance. I tried it and I've been using it ever since and my skin has really cleared up as well. If you go to any Origins store they'll make you a sample so you can try without committing, but it really is a genius product.
And btw I don't work for Origins anymore so I'm not trying to shamelessly promote. :smile:

I went through a few months of bad break outs and in the midst I started working at Origins Skincare and learned something really interesting- one of their cleansers is a cleansing oil called Clean Energy which I was really hesitant to try; my skin is combination and the skin where I was breaking out on my cheeks was dry and my t-zone was oily so I didn't want to stray from the foaming face wash I had been using. My boss told me that the foaming face wash was a bad idea because it would dry my skin out more and to try the cleansing oil. I was really hesitant because I didn't want my t-zone to become oilier but she told me that an oil is great for everyone because it won't dry you out if you have dry skin and oil sticks to oil so it will help reduce oily skin's appearance. I tried it and I've been using it ever since and my skin has really cleared up as well. If you go to any Origins store they'll make you a sample so you can try without committing, but it really is a genius product.
And btw I don't work for Origins anymore so I'm not trying to shamelessly promote. :smile:

I feel like my skin becomes less oily and thus less prone to acne when I keep it very well hydrated. So these days I layer 2 types of moisturizers, one with hyaluronic acid, and my skin has never felt better. :biggrin:

Final Verdict

Thanks everyone for all of the awesome suggestions, but i found a miracle!

I continued to wash my face with my existing Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power Scrub which is an awesome drugstore cleanser (even though the grains are a little rough) and followed up with its complimenting toner. Then I used the Mint Julep for the first time which btw is AWESOME. I love clay masks, and the pepperminty smell and easy application made this mask a new staple of mine. I went to Ulta and found the Mario Badescu Acne Repair kit which comes complete with the Drying Lotion, Drying Cream, and Buffering Lotion. I followed all the instructions for the past two days, and already my huge cystic white head bump is completely flat! I still have a little bit of scarring but after makeup my skin looks completely flawless. I'm really excited to have finally found something that works! All thanks to the awesome tpf'ers. So i hope this helps out some of my fellow breakout-prone tpf'ers who are in search of the acne miracle potion