Help! Oil on Silk Skirt!

graceful

O.G.
May 19, 2006
I was about to take my fish oil pill at work and the phone rang. I wasn't thinking about it and was playing w/ the pill (I know I am a total idiot) and it exploded. Most of it got on my desk - doesn't smell very good- but some got on my silk skirt!

Does anyone have a quick tip on how to remove this? I can't go home today b/c of meetings and I would be so upset if the stains did not come out later. TIA!

Totally agree with previous poster. I similar accident happened to me on Christmas dinner and my aunt whipped out some baby powder. I put it on generously to the front and back of the fabric. It looked a little weird, but when it was laundered, it came right out.

good luck.

I would think not... I thought you weren't supposed to get silk wet? I think all the silk items I own say Dry Clean Only :smile:

Good luck getting the stain out! I would just rush to the dry cleaners ASAP.

Just a note: you can handwash silk with gentle soap. I just use a little squirt of dawn. Most of those dryclean only tags are for the manufacturers protection. If you think about it people have been wearing silk far longer than dry cleaners have existed.

I'm not sure about silk but we used to use a little dishwashing soap to get oil out of cotton clothes.

Baby powder or powder base foot powder. Lightly coat the oil stain on the inside and on the out side of the stain. With a lint roller "tape type of lint roller" gently roll away the baby powder. THEN hit it with a hair dryer! Repeat until the stain absorbs and melts away! Works like a Frieken charm! Don't sweat it sloppy. You'll be sport'n beautiful!

My mom always used dishwashing soap to get oil out of our clothes. All that "Dawn Grease Fighting Power" or something, but it works.

It's a bit difficult on delicate silk shirts but just put a bit of dawn on the stain, rub it and then rinse the area in COLD water. Lie it flat, blot dry and the stain is usually gone with worse case scenario you got a water mark on the silk. In that case I submerge the entire garment in COLD COLD water for a couple seconds, swish, then lay it soaking wet on a clean towel and roll it up like a burrito. This helps dry the silk without ruining the shape (sewing trick I learned).

I hate messing up my silk shirts. Good luck!