Help newbie seller deal with possible SNAD scam

xray

O.G.
Nov 26, 2008
I usually don't resell my bags but wanted to give someone else a chance to own a new Hermes bag which I didn't really LOVE. It would also give me some funds to buy something else.
An international buyer sent me a reasonable offer so I re-listed the item and ended the auction early so she could buy it. I then shipped it ASAP via UPS. I found out she (or her husband) is actually a re-seller so that was disappointing that there was no direct enjoyment for someone but I figured they wouldn't pull any scams as they were resellers.
However, after getting the bag in 2 days after I shipped it, they have filed a dispute stating that the bag is not authentic. Considering I bought the bag myself at an Hermes boutique and have the original receipt and accompanying CC statement, I figure this must be a scam - either bait and switch or even just trying to keep the bag while still acquiring a refund.
I have responded to the dispute indicating the bag is authentic. What else should I do ? Should I just start a claim myself ? SOS experienced Ebayers ! So disappointed in my Ebay selling experience :cry:

Contact an approved ebay authenticator such as caroldiva and get the bag authenticated ebay will require the 3rd party authentication to prove your claim, reciepts are not enough these days. Good luck to you

A fake claim on a high value international sale is worth worrying about and you are right to be worried. It is good that you have the original receipt. That is worth something. I would contact ebay/Paypal (whichever one the dispute was filed with) directly. If you don't get someone helpful right away, keep pushing until you do. Tell them what proof you have. Ask them if more proof is required. You need to be emphatic that the bag is authentic.

I don't think I'd trust CarolDiva on an Hermes.

I'd try to get a letter from Hermes that backs up the receipt and pictures.

How did you find out the buyer is a reseller? Do they sell on the same ID? What does the feedback left for others look like?

I asked the person if she was a reseller as their e-mail address sounded like a reseller. She denied it but then the payment came from a paypal account with the obvious name of a reseller. I was thinking that they wouldn't want to risk their online reputation by trying to scam me. The buyer ID is different from the seller ID. The buyer feedback is private (300 transactions) but the seller feedback (over 1000) was all favourable.

At this point, I will wait to see if they respond favourably before "outing" them. I suspect they feel they can't resell the bag but maybe it is just a total scam and they want the bag too. They've even posted before on tPF.

Sigh... Thanks all for the feedback.

Why did you re-list the bag and then end the auction early so they could buy it? That doesn´t make sense.

I have done it. Item was auction, buyer wanted item NOW, relist, switch to a buy it now and voilà!
Sometimes, it is impossible to add buy it now button once auction has started.

To the OP, if they are resellers, they might have wanted to flip the bag and realized they could not make as much money.
Where are you located and where is the buyer located?
(just asking as customs and law enforcement are different everywhere)

I have done it. Item was auction, buyer wanted item NOW, relist, switch to a buy it now and voilà!
Sometimes, it is impossible to add buy it now button once auction has started.

To the OP, if they are resellers, they might have wanted to flip the bag and realized they could not make as much money.
She said she re-listed the bag because the buyer wanted to buy it. Then she said she ended the auction early (to me that means ending without any bids). That was my question:smile:

She said she re-listed the bag because the buyer wanted to buy it. Then she said she ended the auction early (to me that means ending without any bids). That was my question:smile:

My auction was ending within 24 hours when the buyer made the offer through Ebay message. I couldn't change the listing so as soon as the auction ended, I re-listed it for the lower price. The buyer made her bid and then I ended the auction so she could buy the item at our agreed upon price.

I'm in Canada and they're in Germany. I just want my bag back - the thought of not having the bag or the $$$ makes my stomach churn.

I'm in Canada and they're in Germany. I just want my bag back - the thought of not having the bag or the $$$ makes my stomach churn.

OMG, be super cautious. If dishonest, the buyer could pull the "I can't ship a counterfeit item" and therefore item could be destroyed:faint:

What is the tone of the emails?
Does the buyer seems reasonnable?

Please be careful because the last thing you want is for the buyer of this
bag to be told they can destroy it.... contact as suggested above the
number that was given out for the executive office of pp... pp/ebay in
the past (other threads) have made bad decisions with regard to telling
buyers what to do with items that haven't been proven to be fake.. your
receipt from Hermes should help as well as your pictures...keep us posted...

OMG, be super cautious. If dishonest, the buyer could pull the "I can't ship a counterfeit item" and therefore item could be destroyed:faint:

What is the tone of the emails?
Does the buyer seems reasonnable?

The buyer sounds super reasonable when I tell her that I am going to refund her money if I get my exact bag back. I would hope they wouldn't want to risk their re-seller reputation (which is quite good) over this. I assume they're making quite a bit of money re-selling many bags while I was selling them the bag for the same price I paid for it in store. Also, I don't make my living re-selling... We'll see how it plays out.