Help! New first time luxury bag owner to be*

Hi! I wanted to get the Neonoé with red detail. This is the first time I’ve bought a luxury purse and it’s outside of my comfort zone. Despite doing tons of research and finally feeling comfortable to go ahead with my purchase I delayed it after having an off experience with an SA online and finding out there was a packaging shortage with some people receiving their bag with no bow, no ribbon, not even the box and that matters to me as part of the experience. In this gap time I noted a lot of criticism online where women were referring to LV as a basic b**** bag. It made my heart sink a bit. In your opinion is this a good purchase to make or will I be tagged by those in the know as having made an off purchase? I don’t have anyone to really bounce this conversation off of. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

EB0F742C-876B-4D0E-AB7F-785482AD55EC.jpeg

I agree with you that the packaging is part of the fun when purchasing one of these bags. my thought is that if you are close enough and feel comfortable visiting a boutique right now to do so. Even if they don’t have the bag there, you can talk to an SA to order it from who will give you the ”full set”.

As far as the criticism of LV, I’d bet you can’t find a brand that people aren’t hating on. Some people will hate on Hermès lovers for spending $10k+ on a bag, hate on Coach lovers for one reason or another, and every other brand on this forum. Buy what you love and don’t let these people influence you. They don’t matter

If the packaging is that important to you, hold off until it’s back in stock (so long as you don’t risk your bag going out of stock) since it’s your first luxury bag and evidently an important part of the experience for you.

As for the comment made about LV, sure a lot of people have them and it can be argued that they’re basic but it shouldn’t be about anyone else’s opinion, again it should be about you. You know best, if this is the bag and/or brand you’re interested in.

Best of luck in making your decision and be sure to share pictures of your first luxury purchase on the forum, whenever it may be and whichever brand it happens to be!

I think that's a great choice for a bag, pretty but not too delicate that you have to baby it. For a first time purchase I would definitely wait until you can go to a store - it will be so much nicer and you'll feel more special. So long as YOU are happy - sure some people won't like LV, some are jealous etc, just carry your new bag and enjoy it.

I have this exact bag but with the braided handle. Of all the LV and non LV bags I have, it is my absolute favorite and most comfortable daily bag. I have a variety of designer bags and I have to say I love and use my LVs the most. As far as it being a basic b**** bag, I couldn’t care less. I didn’t grow up with much, so I know the reality is that “everyone” most definitely does not have an LV bag. If you love it, wear it proudly. Life is just too short to give two craps about judgemental strangers.

Don’t worry about what others think - as long as you love the item, that is all that matters.

I agree with the others - if the packaging is important to you, then hold off until you can buy the bag in person. It’s a really nice bag!

Your tastes will evolve... Just make sure you’re buying a bag that is functional and versatile for you now and that you love. We luxury lovers tend to have a radar for bags so any bag that becomes common and is at the lower end of the cost spectrum could be seen as basic. It’s all about how you wear the bag. I’m not an LV canvas fan at all, but I’ve seen some women style their canvas bags and look like a million bucks! Usually, it’s not the bag that I admire on someone it’s how they style it. This combo you’ve picked out is pretty neutral so I think you’ll have a lot of styling options.

Personally, I th since it’s your first you should wait for the boutique experience. These days you probably will have to make an appointmen. Good luck and welcome to the addictive world of luxury handbags!

My thoughts - consider the red element. Is this your favourite colour? Does it coordinate with the majority of your wardrobe? Are you pretty settled in your style or still figuring things out? Will you get tired of the red?
As far as LV - to me, it is basic in that it is simple and classic and popular. You will see other people with LV everywhere you go so it is not unique in that sense. It is still high end though and to me looks pretty elegant across a range of settings - casual to dressy.
Have you seen this bag in real life? That can change how you view something.
I would keep watching videos like this one to give you a sense of the bag:

and keep an eye out for anyone carrying it in real life.
I think softness versus structure is a key element to choosing a bag, usually people go for one over the other and to me this bag is definitely more structured in the base.
There is a thread here about this bag which will be useful: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-beautiful-neo-noe-club.962027/

The NeoNoe is an amazing bag. I do agree with the post above, consider the red element!

As for the LV comment, life is too short to care about what others think. For the money you're spending, it should be about what brings you joy!

It is a very pretty bag. I have quit buying LV for the time being. I have purchased Prada, Fendi, and YSL recently and so bummed to see how slow those forums are. It is fun to be a part of the LV community on tPF and for that reason alone I say ignore the "basic ***** bag" comments and have so much fun in this community! :hugs: :yahoo:

I’m back to LV recently after buying Chanel and Prada. Chanel is too ex now and the styles are somehow the same to me even with the Chanel 19 series. But for LV, I think recently, I do have to admit that they have done quite innovation on different styles and patterns which I like. As compared to Prada, LV is definitely made in China hahaha.

For Hermès, I think the styles are suitable for me although I think they leather are luxurious.

I wouldn't pay any attention to what anyone says online. I doubt those same people would ever say it to someone's face. I think LV is considered basic because it's a "common" luxury brand, but in reality one bag can easily be someone's monthly rent. It's also easy to spot the monogram, but I bet you most haters wouldn't even know a bag is LV without the monogram. Get the bag you like and that works for you, that's the most important thing.

Since this is your first luxury bag, I would try to go to the store. You might end up deciding you don't actually like the bag. I think coquelicot is a lovely color, but some people here gave it up because they decided it was too bright in person.

Neonoe is my favorite style, but there are things about it that bother me every now and then. I really don't like it when my things end up underneath the pocket divider. I have to take out nearly everything to get to the thing that ended up at the bottom. I also don't like how bulky it is sometimes. It swings forward when I lean over, and sometimes it just whacks things, including people.

I agree with you that the packaging is part of the fun when purchasing one of these bags. my thought is that if you are close enough and feel comfortable visiting a boutique right now to do so. Even if they don’t have the bag there, you can talk to an SA to order it from who will give you the ”full set”.

As far as the criticism of LV, I’d bet you can’t find a brand that people aren’t hating on. Some people will hate on Hermès lovers for spending $10k+ on a bag, hate on Coach lovers for one reason or another, and every other brand on this forum. Buy what you love and don’t let these people influence you. They don’t matter
Thank you. I expected critique on construction, material and beauty but was really daunted to see people tag 2 thousand dollar bags as basic b!tch bags and felt nervous I was going to end up making a very expensive faux pas. I think it’s harder to own a decision when you feel new or an outsider to something so your feedback is much appreciated.

Reactions: LemonDrop
If the packaging is that important to you, hold off until it’s back in stock (so long as you don’t risk your bag going out of stock) since it’s your first luxury bag and evidently an important part of the experience for you.

As for the comment made about LV, sure a lot of people have them and it can be argued that they’re basic but it shouldn’t be about anyone else’s opinion, again it should be about you. You know best, if this is the bag and/or brand you’re interested in.

Best of luck in making your decision and be sure to share pictures of your first luxury purchase on the forum, whenever it may be and whichever brand it happens to be!
Thank you, today is my first day on this forum and it’s been really nice to find such support. An exercise in self- love and authenticity can peek through at just about any time and I see maybe there’s some underlying work to be done there too perhaps.

Reactions: LemonDrop