help needed

aa12

O.G.
Apr 26, 2007
Hey Everyone,
I am having a bit of a hard time, helping my sister out with a tough decision and was wondering if I could get some input on the whole situation and to get an idea of what some of you think.

Well the story is this; my sister got into a great school ( 6 hours away from home) in advertising and pr for now, unless she doesnt like it of course she will switch. She is very nervous to leave home and such because she is very close to our mom. Now she also got into a school in our home town ( a very good school might I add), but at this school she got into education. Two very completely different fields.
The problem is she wants to experience going away etc., but she also doesnt know if she could leave, she has been through a lot in her young life, and I can see why she is so scared, I just dont know what to tell her and she doesnt really know what she wants in a way. She is stuck between two very important things.

sorry for such a long post, I just hope some of you could give me some advice that I could hopefully pass on to her that might help her in anyway because I honestly dont even know what to tell her.
Thanks!

My advice: do what scares you.

12 years ago I left MI for CA. It was the hardest thing to leave my parents but I knew I had to grow. I am so happy I did it.

She should go. If she is unhappy, she can always come back. If she doesn't go she'll always wonder how her life would have turned out if she did go.

She will benefit from challenging herself. If she remains where she feels safe, it can become a habit that is hard to break.

Both of our children went to out-of-state colleges where they didn't know anyone. They knew it would be hard, but stuck it out through the homesickness until they made new friends, found their way around, etc.

My guess is that she will grow more than she thought possible if she tries something she is scared to do. (my nephew just took his first parachute jump-he's in the army-and we are all so proud of him; this is a kid who never left his hometown!)

Your sister is in my thoughts and you are a great person to be thinking about her welfare.

My high school guidance counsellor (university admissions person) gave me great advice... I'm not sure if it applies where you are but it certainly does up here. He told me to ignore the program that I am admitted to and to go where I want to be, you can always change fields later but it's hard to change schools.

It sounds like she would benefit from going away... even if it is only for a year and she transfers back. I moved five hours away for school and it was the best decision I ever made, and I thought I would transfer back to a closer school but you couldn't pay me to now.

^^^
Thank you for the advice, so far it has all been really great feedback.
I really do appreciate all of you to take the time and help me out in this situation.

My advice: do what scares you.

12 years ago I left MI for CA. It was the hardest thing to leave my parents but I knew I had to grow. I am so happy I did it.

She should go. If she is unhappy, she can always come back. If she doesn't go she'll always wonder how her life would have turned out if she did go.

Outstanding advice! :tup: