Help needed with carres???

Ilia

O.G.
Mar 10, 2012
I just got my very first carres from Hermès and I'm dumbstruck.
Whenever I put it around my neck or try to put it around my head, my whole hair gets charged and stands up at all angles!
What is this? Will this vanish or is my scarf a lost cause? =(

Um, seriously? That is static electricity. There are products to reduce it--I would seek something you could put on your hair, rather than risking putting anything on the scarf. Higher humidity will also take care of it, whether through humidifying your home or waiting for the very dry winter air to give way to spring. You are serious, yes?

Um, seriously? That is static electricity. There are products to reduce it--I would seek something you could put on your hair, rather than risking putting anything on the scarf. Higher humidity will also take care of it, whether through humidifying your home or waiting for the very dry winter air to give way to spring. You are serious, yes?

Yes, I'm serious. I didn't ask what it is (I didn't know the correct english term), but why only the scarf lets this happen to my hair. My hair doesn't normally EVER have this problem but as soon as I put the scarf anywhere near me, my hair is charged.

Hmm.. I've never heard of static charge from pure silk. I don't mean to be rude, but did you purchase from Hermes directly?

EDIT: Take no notice of me - I've just Googled and apparently silk gets tons of static!

Last edited:
My daughter has straight hair that is prone to static and in the winter she will rub a dryer sheet (the kind you put in the clothes dryer while you dry your clothes) on her hair it always seems to work.

I apologize for asking if you were serious. I live in a climate that is very dry in winter and for me, static electricity with all sorts of fabrics, but especially with silk, is a fact of life during much of the year, so I was surprised that you hadn't experienced this before. That was my self-centeredness rearing its ugly head; I'm sorry. As xiangxiang said, more moisture is the answer and the safest place to attempt to increase moisture is in your hair (not on the scarf). Often, also, after a brief period of wear the static will calm down a bit. There are also, at least in the US, spray products to reduce static that MIGHT (though I won't promise this) be okay for use on a scarf. Good luck!

This has happened this season to my shawls, probably cause it's super dry! Someone once taught me that if you don't have static guard, put some lotion in your hands, rub it till it's still tacky, not all the way in your hands, and run your hands through your hair. It always works for me to combat static in my hair!