HELP NEEDED: What kind should it be for my first (and maybe the only) birkin???ThankU

nyer119

Feb 5, 2009
Hello Ladies:

I've been saving money for a Birkin, and need your advice on the size and style. I am a mid-30 office worker, and am looking for a durable one with the budget of $8,000. It probably will be my only Birkin, so I don't know which size lether should I chose. I definitely want to get a black one.

I searched around, and many people say 30 or 35cm. My consern is that I am a little overweight ( 6-5 tall, 170 lbs) would 35cm look small on me? I have a petite Chanel shopping tote, and I stopped wearing it anymore, because it looks weird on me.... too tight :"-(
so... I wonder if I should get a 40cm one.

Another question is what leather should I get. I went to the store to check the Togo, but thought it was too soft, and the SA told me that they don't have other leathers in birkin(?!) maybe because I dressed down when I went into the store. I like the harder, durable leathers, i.e. the box lether on Kelly. What do you suggest?

I've been wanting a Birkin for few years, but I only want to get ONE that I will stay loyal to for many years. (of course, another factor is the budget)
so I appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions. I am in NJ, so if you know a good SA please let me konw too.

Thank you!

please help me :crybaby:

Would like to add that I can go up to $12,000.
$8,000 was my initial budget, but after paying a visit to the NYC hermes store, it looks like a 40cm would cost around $9k.

Last edited:
Sweetie, get a 40cm in black box with any hardware. You will be very happy with it. Just know that it's not great in the rain. If you want something more rain resistant, go with chevre or fjord. Both keep their structure and are good in bad weather. With 8k, you will have just enough for a 30cm. The 35cms are about 1k more plus tax. If you can ship to CT you wil at least save a ton on tax. 40cms are probably about $1k more. Are you only looking to purchase from the boutique or will you consider a reseller? There are many very reputable resellers that many tpfrs have used in the past. I would say, if it's only going to be your one and only, save up enough and purchase from the H boutique. I know you can save money, but I'm one to just pay up as I prefer boutiques. Since you are in NJ, you can see a good variety at Duet Consignment in Livingston. I don't think they have any 40cms though, but worth a call. For the boutique at Riverside, all the SAs there are phenomenal. You will have to go there and talk to them.

Since you like more structure you might want to consider Epsom leather too. It's also one of the less expensive leathers (if you can even say that about H leathers)!
Good luck with your search! :tup:

I think the most important thing now is to decide on the size. You should go to try on various sizes, your best bet would be in the consignment store. Worst come to the worst, do a cardboard mockup but do note it won't let you have a feel of the weight. For colours, I would say go with black if it is going to be your only birkin. If you are more the adventurous type, I would suggest tan or dark red also, these colours are evergreen.

For leathers, it doesn't mean they are less durable when they go soft. It is just a characteristic of some leathers and some do like the "floopy" look, as we call them here. If you like the stand-up look, I would go for chevre, VL, or box. But do note that box don't do very well in the rain. Do go to the reference section and read up on the various leathers. Do your research well, I spent a few months on this forum figuring out what I really want. Good luck!

i think 40cm will suit you fine, but I'm partial to large bags.. I too am saving (and clearing out chanel's I havent worn in ages) for my first birkin, although I'm sure it wont be my last, as your's likely will not either... :balloon: However, if you really think that it will be your one and only, and you have the cash allotted for a new purchase, I say make it extra special and buy brand new from the boutique. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Since it is going to be your one or only birkin:

1) Get it from the boutique (an experience you'll never forget);

2) 35 or 40cm is fine;

3) Togo, clemence and chevre (durable, rain resistant)and

4) Classic colour, black (dark) or etoupe (light)