Help needed: Valentino bag dilemma

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I have a huge dilemma. I went into a nice outlet store today and say the Valentino Histoire bag in white patent leather. It was ridiculously cheap, but only because it was a little dirty. And by a little dirty I mean it had some marks in the leather (not on the front though) and the leather was a little yellow-ish by the stitching. I guess it was in a window for a long time or maybe put in a bad place, so it got dirty and yellow from the sun. There were 3 bags like this - 2 regular Histoire and one big Histoire.
    I've loved this bag for such a long time now, but never decided to buy it because it's very expensive. This one is a lot cheaper and I don't know what to do. What do you think, is there a way to clean it or something? I mean, it doesn't look dirty and bad from a distance, only when you hold it in hand you can see how it really looks like. So what should I do? Is it worth to buy such a bag? Should I buy it or leave it? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

2. If I'm not mistaken, patent is pretty difficult to clean, if not virtually impossible. Dyeing wouldn't be much of an option either because of the plastic coating. It really depends on how ridiculously cheap it was, I think, and whether you intend to use this bag for occasions when you don't need a nice bag or when you do need a good one. If the former, it might still be worth buying as a knockaround bag, but if you need a bag that looks better, it's probably not a good idea to buy a patent bag with the intention of trying to clean it. HTH!

3. Don't buy it. Patent is impossible to clean. All stains end up under the plastic coating.

4. ^^^ Thanks a lot! Well, I think this bag would be a nice every-day bag nothing more. I definitely wouldn't take it to any special occasions etc. I'll still think about it and maybe go and see it one more time.
    Once again, thanks!

5. buy it online? you can usually get it online for less than half price. i got a nuage for less than 1/3 of the price on bonanzle!

6. Take a deeep breath and step away from the bag. After you get it home, it just won't hold the same feelings that you had while you saw it in the store. Trust me. Get something different. I hate compromise.

7. I agree with Compass Rose.. take a very big deep breath and walk away from this.

White patent is really impossible to clean .

8. Only buy it if you can live with the 'spoilage'.

Sometimes I don't mind the odd 'imperfection' and sometimes I do.

White patent - if it's there now it you can bet it's gonna be there for life.

9. If I really wanted the bag, I would call a shoe maker I knew I could trust and ask them if the stains can be taken out and then let them do it and treat it.

Then, and I have a lot of patent bags of all colors, the best thing, and don't laugh, is to put uncooked biscuit dough on them and roll it around. It will pick up the dirt out of the creases and it will leave enough oil for you to shine it afterward. After you shine it, put another coat of vaseline on it and shine it up again. You should only have to do this once a year and then just clean the finger prints off every once in a while.

If you get a stain, don't try to get it out yourself unless you've bought a professional product from the shoe maker. Don't use non acetone polish remover, don't use clorox and some of the other things I've seen. You'll ruin the finish eventually and that can't be fixed.

But if you just call your shoe maker they'll tell you if it can be cleaned or not. Then if it can't you have to decide if you can live with it.

10. Thank you all! Tomorrow I'm leaving for holiday so I'll have time to think about it. I'll let you know what my decision is after I come back.