Help needed - run on Hermes scarf (pic attached)

RoseUSA

Jul 4, 2011
Dear All,

I have a silk thread run shown here. While I can live with the "color line transfer" I am not sure what to do with the "loop" at the end of the thread run.

Should I (1) cut the loop off, (2) ignore it, (3) seal it with fabric glue, or (4) something else? It does not bother me enough to spend a lot of $ to have it professionally repaired, but I would like to make sure it does not continue to run and live a long and productive life.

Thank you for your help!

Have a nice day,
RoseUSA

Attachments

• silk run.jpg
    silk run.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 1,148
RoseUSA, I've had some success holding the fabric with both hands on either side of a pulled thread, and sort of wiggling the fabric back and forth. Sometimes this will work the thread back into the fabric. But I second Heatherlite's suggestions.

RoseUSA - I think it would be a good idea to try to get the loop smaller. Something will probably hook in the loop and cause a bigger damage than it is now.

I have used a fine needle and step by step drawn the thread back approximately to where it belongs.
The result will not be perfect, but you get rid of most of the loop.

Start beneath the loop and with a fine needle pull a new loop so the first loop gets smaller. Go step by step further down along the thread, making a new loop. That way you draw the thread back to approximately where it belongs. At least you get a smaller loop, even if the result is not perfect.

You need good light and perhaps a big magnifying glass and a lot of time and patience!

I hope you can understand my instruction! Otherwise I'll try to make it clearer. :smile:

Oh dear this is always a problem when it happens - I would try to ease the thread back into place - it won't all go back but should make the loop smaller - just don't "draw"/pull on the thread or fabric with your finger nails use the pads of your fingers or you'll get a permanent shiny mark as I know to my cost!

Do NOT cut it!

Hope that helps you Rose.

RoseUSA, I've had some success holding the fabric with both hands on either side of a pulled thread, and sort of wiggling the fabric back and forth. Sometimes this will work the thread back into the fabric. But I second Heatherlite's suggestions.

I have tried a little wiggling but it seems to make very little difference. I will try again tomorrow in the day light. THANK YOU!

RoseUSA - I think it would be a good idea to try to get the loop smaller. Something will probably hook in the loop and cause a bigger damage than it is now.

I have used a fine needle and step by step drawn the thread back approximately to where it belongs.
The result will not be perfect, but you get rid of most of the loop.

Start beneath the loop and with a fine needle pull a new loop so the first loop gets smaller. Go step by step further down along the thread, making a new loop. That way you draw the thread back to approximately where it belongs. At least you get a smaller loop, even if the result is not perfect.

You need good light and perhaps a big magnifying glass and a lot of time and patience!

I hope you can understand my instruction! Otherwise I'll try to make it clearer. :smile:
Thanks Holsby! I am a little afraid of needle work but will prob try that next as fabric stretch did not move the loop. A little scared to but will see!

Oh dear this is always a problem when it happens - I would try to ease the thread back into place - it won't all go back but should make the loop smaller - just don't "draw"/pull on the thread or fabric with your finger nails use the pads of your fingers or you'll get a permanent shiny mark as I know to my cost!

Do NOT cut it!

Hope that helps you Rose.

Hello SA! Thanks for stopping by!

I got a stubborn loop that won't move, lol! Thankfully I did not cut it (but I did think about it). Maybe scarf pull is not that surprising after all, because I examined my non-Hermes scarves (that I wear more frequently) I saw pulls are very "prevalent" with them. So embarrassing!

Go to Mai Tai's blog. She had a run in one of her GMs and took it to an expert who fixed it. Her recent blog entry is an interview with the expert. http://www.maitaispicturebook.com

Thank you! I love Mai Tai's blog too! Love her taste of fashion and style!

I figure the expert repair must cost at least an arm if not both limbs... so I will try a way to stop further damage first. Thanks for your suggestion!