Help needed - problem with Epsom Coppernic card case

HermesFSH

O.G.
Feb 5, 2009
Hi

I recently had a succesful first visit to Manchester H, and decided to buy my OH a wallet, the Coppernic card case in Epsom, in Hermes orange (sorry don't know official name of the colour but you know the one I mean).

I just had a call to say someone opened a can of coke next to the wallet which was on a table and there was a small splash of cola onto the wallet, and when he wiped it off with a slightly damp cloth, the orange colour came off the wallet, and onto the cloth, and it now has a small part which is slightly lighter. I have yet to see the wallet (he is out still) but is this normal? Does the colour come off epsom so easily? I was shocked to say the least and I am wondering what to do. I bought this as a gift only last week and although it was an accident, I have never known the colour to come off any leather goods, even cheaper ones :sad:

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

No it shouldn't come off!! Epsom is one of the hardest wearing H leathers, return it to the store and see what they come up with

I know!!!!!

That's why I went for an Epsom wallet in the first place. The store is a 2 hour drive away and I have done the trip twice in a week with the kids and now it will have to be a third trip. I am gutted - I had managed to convince him of the quality of H and now this. :shocked:

Sorry to hear that Aaliya. Hope you can get it sorted.

Thanks - I just wanted to check it was not right before calling tomorrow. The SA has been so lovely and I will feel terrible (even if it is a defective wallet and no one's fault). I am still getting to grips with the types of leather and working out what works best, but this seemed so wrong considering H produces such amazing colours, they must be colourfast. Hmmm - I can't do anything without seeing it first (will be soon) and then I can decide.

Thanks Mooks and ClassicTwist.

Ahhh .... I see now ... phosphoric acid in Coke!

Does that mean H wont do anything?

I've seen the wallet now and sure enough, there is an area where the sheen has come off the leather and it looks a bit "grey" (bearing in mind this is an orange wallet). I could tell immediately - it did not need pointing out. I am so disappointed. Will try to post pics but mainly wanted to know if H would consider the wallet to be faulty (or is cola something known to destroy embossed leather as well as one's stomach, lol).

It is not faulty, to be honest. It was an accident. And I think you should be honest and tell your SA what happened, and ask for it to be repaired.

Of course I was always going to be honest with the SA - why would I be anything else? :confused1:

I called her, explained the situation and emailed pics to her. The damage is a small but noticeable area. It was the fact that I can't imagine any other leather goods we own reacting in the same way. If more than a drop landed on it it would be totally ruined.

I had a reply from the SA and it will be a case of repair. Apparently she will speak to the repair dept and let me know.

I hope the pic works and you can see the area in question. It is small (thankful the wallet wasn't drenched) but it's only been used for two days, and H is not cheap. I know the wallet is still usable so I don't even know what to do - is it worth repair if it is a small area and who knows what other damage could happen in the future? (It was bought to be used and it can't be repaired after each mishap can it?).

Attachments

• wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 117
I would try a tiny dab of Meltonian to restore the sheen. I would not send it in for repair at this point. It is very tiny and the wallet is so beautiful. Good luck.