Help Needed - Newbie Ebay Seller

madaddie

Mad Shopaholic
O.G.
Dec 1, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have finally caved in, and decided to start selling off some of the precious baubles I have accumulated over the years to fund a Chanel Lambskin Bag that would really do my finances in.

I would be most probably be listing my Hermes Pumpkin Charm, my Gucci Waist Pouch and my Gucci Wristlet. Am totally not in the right frame of mind to think about selling other items.

Can you let me know how I should go about it, is there a format to follow or a site to download a template from etc?

Is there any special way of presenting the items such that I will get higher bids?

I really appreciate the help and advice if any. I need lots!

Sigh if only money would drop from the sky. :crybaby:

Here is a couple of tips that might help:
If your new to ebay you should buy something first to have some sort of feedback. Take lots of pictures of the items 5-10 pictures per item. Make sure that they are clear and have a nice plain background. I would check out the site: http://www.auctiva.com/ for templates and cross promotion. I always start with a very low starting bid so it gets the most exposure. When I do that I always add the following statement: Starting bid is not a reflection of the quality or authenticity of this item it is mearly to encourage bidding. Make sure shipping prices are reasonable, offer shipping insurance (for an additional cost or free)

Hope that helps... BTW I'll be on the look out for your Hermes Pumpkin Charm ;) I've always wanted one. :yes:

Here is a couple of tips that might help:
If your new to ebay you should buy something first to have some sort of feedback. Take lots of pictures of the items 5-10 pictures per item. Make sure that they are clear and have a nice plain background. I would check out the site: http://www.auctiva.com/ for templates and cross promotion. I always start with a very low starting bid so it gets the most exposure. When I do that I always add the following statement: Starting bid is not a reflection of the quality or authenticity of this item it is mearly to encourage bidding. Make sure shipping prices are reasonable, offer shipping insurance (for an additional cost or free)

Hope that helps... BTW I'll be on the look out for your Hermes Pumpkin Charm ;) I've always wanted one. :yes:

Thanks Lulu, you are a dear! :tup:

I am just really concerned about the multitude of fees that eBay and Paypal charge so I might have to wait till I am free before I can read through and understand all the rules and restrictions. :sweatdrop:

You are wise to be cautious. It would be horrible to list and sell an item, ship it to a scammer, then find yourself out the money and your item.

Go through the selling tutotials thoughly on both eBay and Paypal. Take your time and make sure you know the terms of selling you are agreeing to when you list your item(s). Review auctions for similar items to help you decide how to word you auction and the terms you are willing to set forth as a seller.

The best advice another seller gave me when I started selling was, "Write your description as if you have no pictures and take pictures like you don't have a written description."

Auctiva has some great templates, but this is a whole new set of programs you'll have to familiarize yourself with before you begin selling. The one benefit I gained from Auctiva was the increased number of photos I got when I used them. This was great for cheaper clothing items, but for more expensive stuff you may want to skip Auctiva and just pay for the extra pictures on eBay. eBay currently has 30 day selling limits on designer items, so you may want to list your first item on eBay, then use the 30 days you have to wait to list your next items to learn a little more about Auctiva, then decide if you want to use them for future listings.

The main thing is educate yourself so that you can protect yourself; know that insurance protects you and not the seller and be willing to pay for it, know that insurance at the post office covers more than insurance you buy through Paypal shipping, know that a signature is required for transactions over $250.00, know how long a seller has to pay you, know how long you have to ship and item and what process to follow should something go wrong along the way, etc. etc., etc.

You have wanted the Chanel bag for quite some time, I'm sure. Most of us don't have the amount of money to purchase a Chanel bag just sitting in our checking accounts. The bag will still be for sale next month, or even the month after that. Don't get in a hurry, take the time to make educated choices and the Chanel bag will be yours eventually!

Madaddie-

I want to start off by saying I am not in any way affiliated with any consignment sites.

I have only sold once on *bay, so my experiences may be the worst of what's out there, but I would hate for anyone else to go through the heartache and stress that I've been through. But I really would like to let you know that there are other (less stressful) options out there on selling your lovelies. Just do a search on "consigment sites" and some even offer up to 90% of your money back from the sale price.

From everything that I've read sellers have little to no protection from buyers and, as honest sellers, we're left with nothing. I will never sell on *bay again and will soley use these consignments sites from now on.

Please know that there are other reputable and profitable means on selling a bag and that *bay isn't the only way.

Just my two cents, but best of luck to you.

You are wise to be cautious. It would be horrible to list and sell an item, ship it to a scammer, then find yourself out the money and your item.

Go through the selling tutotials thoughly on both eBay and Paypal. Take your time and make sure you know the terms of selling you are agreeing to when you list your item(s). Review auctions for similar items to help you decide how to word you auction and the terms you are willing to set forth as a seller.

The best advice another seller gave me when I started selling was, "Write your description as if you have no pictures and take pictures like you don't have a written description."

Auctiva has some great templates, but this is a whole new set of programs you'll have to familiarize yourself with before you begin selling. The one benefit I gained from Auctiva was the increased number of photos I got when I used them. This was great for cheaper clothing items, but for more expensive stuff you may want to skip Auctiva and just pay for the extra pictures on eBay. eBay currently has 30 day selling limits on designer items, so you may want to list your first item on eBay, then use the 30 days you have to wait to list your next items to learn a little more about Auctiva, then decide if you want to use them for future listings.

The main thing is educate yourself so that you can protect yourself; know that insurance protects you and not the seller and be willing to pay for it, know that insurance at the post office covers more than insurance you buy through Paypal shipping, know that a signature is required for transactions over $250.00, know how long a seller has to pay you, know how long you have to ship and item and what process to follow should something go wrong along the way, etc. etc., etc.

You have wanted the Chanel bag for quite some time, I'm sure. Most of us don't have the amount of money to purchase a Chanel bag just sitting in our checking accounts. The bag will still be for sale next month, or even the month after that. Don't get in a hurry, take the time to make educated choices and the Chanel bag will be yours eventually!

This is really good advice, I am touched that you took the time to type out all this to help me. I hope to turn your advice into a good selling experience.

:heart::heart::heart:

Madaddie-

I want to start off by saying I am not in any way affiliated with any consignment sites.

I have only sold once on *bay, so my experiences may be the worst of what's out there, but I would hate for anyone else to go through the heartache and stress that I've been through. But I really would like to let you know that there are other (less stressful) options out there on selling your lovelies. Just do a search on "consigment sites" and some even offer up to 90% of your money back from the sale price.

From everything that I've read sellers have little to no protection from buyers and, as honest sellers, we're left with nothing. I will never sell on *bay again and will soley use these consignments sites from now on.

Please know that there are other reputable and profitable means on selling a bag and that *bay isn't the only way.

Just my two cents, but best of luck to you.

I only know of two consignment stores - Lettrade and Malleries. Could you PM me some reliable ones you work with?

I am in Singapore, and its far far away from the physical location of most of the good consignment stores... :sad:

This is really good advice, I am touched that you took the time to type out all this to help me. I hope to turn your advice into a good selling experience.

:heart::heart::heart:

When I started selling online, someone helped me a great deal to get started, now I am passing the wisdom they shared with me along to you. Hopefully in the future you will be able to do the same with someone else.:smile:

Good luck with your online selling.