Help needed! In the Mix Tote or Chain Around Maxi

Peonies813

O.G.
Jan 3, 2012
I have always wanted a big squishy bag. I fell in love with In the Mix Tote since what feels like forever. Never bought it. Then I surprised myself when I fell in love with the Chain Around Maxi (when it first came out, however, I really disliked it - for me, it seemed way too edgy and down right biker chic which I am not) and bought it. However, I could not take the tags off even though I loved it because I felt a little too flashy with it, so I returned it.

Now. I am having regrets. I want the Chain Around Maxi back but it is sold out everywhere. I want it back for the same reasons that I never really considered it initially. There might be a caramel one somewhere but it doesn't look good for me. So I am revisiting my first love, the In the Mix Tote. Those are still available thankfully. I love the squishiness of it, the shoulder strap and the handles. It is just a really really YUMMY bag.

For those of you who own the ITM, what color would you recommend...and how has the leather held up?? This would be an everyday bag for me..and in what color? I'm leaning more towards the black as it shows off a little more shimmer or iridescence.

And IF by tiny chance, I come across a CAMaxi, which should I choose??? ITM or CAMaxi????

I have a black ITM from last year. It is a squishy leather, but I'm not sure this bag could withstand everyday use. The leather on the quilted part is on the thin side and the leather on the bottom seems delicate IMO. It's definitely not rugged like a GST. The shoulder straps kinda annoy me as they tend to fall off. You can actually completely remove them. But there's lots of space inside and unlike the GST, stuff doesn't fall out if it tips over.

I bought this bag mainly because I liked how it looks (and I wanted a tote) and I don't regret getting it. But I don't use this bag for work so it still looks pristine. You should see the bag up close and feel the leather (and wear it) to see what I mean. I'm surprised it's still available - I would think it would've gone on sale if it is.

I'm also loving the chain around, too. It might better withstand regular use. HTH.

I have a black ITM from last year. It is a squishy leather, but I'm not sure this bag could withstand everyday use. The leather on the quilted part is on the thin side and the leather on the bottom seems delicate IMO. It's definitely not rugged like a GST. The shoulder straps kinda annoy me as they tend to fall off. You can actually completely remove them. But there's lots of space inside and unlike the GST, stuff doesn't fall out if it tips over.

I bought this bag mainly because I liked how it looks (and I wanted a tote) and I don't regret getting it. But I don't use this bag for work so it still looks pristine. You should see the bag up close and feel the leather (and wear it) to see what I mean. I'm surprised it's still available - I would think it would've gone on sale if it is.

I'm also loving the chain around, too. It might better withstand regular use. HTH.

Thanks for your opinion! I like the ITM for the same reason you own one - love the look of it and I want a tote or just a big bag to put more stuff in than my flaps. I did try it on once at a boutique and while I thought it was way too squishy and too big and puffy for my frame, I really liked it. It was just right. I tend to rotate my bags often so I doubt there will be a stretch when I will carry it night and day for weeks on end, so I think I should be okay. I want a worry free bag but I don't abuse my bags either. I treat them pretty well without babying them.

I agree with you that the CAMaxi is probably more durable but I don't think I will have luck in finding one...not to mention, the two look so very different. Thanks so much for your input, it's nice hearing from someone who actually has experience with the bag.

Btw, did you ever buy that patent bag?

I have always wanted a big squishy bag. I fell in love with In the Mix Tote since what feels like forever. Never bought it. Then I surprised myself when I fell in love with the Chain Around Maxi (when it first came out, however, I really disliked it - for me, it seemed way too edgy and down right biker chic which I am not) and bought it. However, I could not take the tags off even though I loved it because I felt a little too flashy with it, so I returned it.

Now. I am having regrets. I want the Chain Around Maxi back but it is sold out everywhere. I want it back for the same reasons that I never really considered it initially. There might be a caramel one somewhere but it doesn't look good for me. So I am revisiting my first love, the In the Mix Tote. Those are still available thankfully. I love the squishiness of it, the shoulder strap and the handles. It is just a really really YUMMY bag.

For those of you who own the ITM, what color would you recommend...and how has the leather held up?? This would be an everyday bag for me..and in what color? I'm leaning more towards the black as it shows off a little more shimmer or iridescence.

And IF by tiny chance, I come across a CAMaxi, which should I choose??? ITM or CAMaxi????

I have the ITM ala Hilary Duff - the the first edition in black with a brown handle. I have to say that I am very pleased with this bag although it is seasonal but it is one of a kind. I have been using it as an everyday bag like my GST and I could say that it is holding pretty well. FYI, I am not the type of person that baby my bag - I bought a bag because I want to use it not to keep it in my closet. I agree that the leather is soft however its holding up really well. My ITM is black therefore if you want to use it as an everyday bag, black is your best choice. I did get ITM in chocolate caramel but returned it since I was affraid for the stain, color transfer, etc. between ITM and CAMaxi, I would pick ITM but having said that it is depend on your needs - the CAMaxi could also be used for a nite out whereas the ITM is more like a day bag, you can put a lot into it. Hope this help. Good luck deciding!

I have the CAM and love it. You can definitely use it as an everyday bag but also as a bag for more special ocassions and it fits a lot. I put a regular ipad, wallet, 2 phones, playdoh for my kid, sunglasses and more! But for such an important purchase try to narrow it down to what you really want and decide on what you really really want and not only on what you can find because chanel is releasing new models/colors several times a year so eventually one you die for is going to come your way. Good luck!

Thanks for your opinion! I like the ITM for the same reason you own one - love the look of it and I want a tote or just a big bag to put more stuff in than my flaps. I did try it on once at a boutique and while I thought it was way too squishy and too big and puffy for my frame, I really liked it. It was just right. I tend to rotate my bags often so I doubt there will be a stretch when I will carry it night and day for weeks on end, so I think I should be okay. I want a worry free bag but I don't abuse my bags either. I treat them pretty well without babying them.

I agree with you that the CAMaxi is probably more durable but I don't think I will have luck in finding one...not to mention, the two look so very different. Thanks so much for your input, it's nice hearing from someone who actually has experience with the bag.

Btw, did you ever buy that patent bag?

Which one, lol? I had been drooling over several different patent bags, but in the end, I'm too nervous about that leather and only have patent SLGs. I'm eyeing the royal blue colors I see for pre-Spring on the Chanel website. Hopefully, they'll come in non-patent leathers.

MBdeB said:
I have the CAM and love it. You can definitely use it as an everyday bag but also as a bag for more special ocassions and it fits a lot. I put a regular ipad, wallet, 2 phones, playdoh for my kid, sunglasses and more! But for such an important purchase try to narrow it down to what you really want and decide on what you really really want and not only on what you can find because chanel is releasing new models/colors several times a year so eventually one you die for is going to come your way. Good luck!

Thanks for your words! I love love both bags! I think I will get a better idea once my SA calls me to tell me if they even have a CAM. So far the black is long gone so it is the caramel one that's a possibility.

Most of my bags are flaps in different sizes so the ITM might be good to switch it up a bit, but I like how you can be more dressy with the CAM even though the caramel looks a bit more casual. Well, I will keep you gals posted! Thanks!

*schmoo* said:
Which one, lol? I had been drooling over several different patent bags, but in the end, I'm too nervous about that leather and only have patent SLGs. I'm eyeing the royal blue colors I see for pre-Spring on the Chanel website. Hopefully, they'll come in non-patent leathers.

LOL! I totally hear ya! I took the plunge on the 13C metallic green in a WOC. It's as big as I can go with a patent and the price is not a huge commitment unlike for a medium or jumbo in patent.

I think I'll know more today what my ITM vs. CAM situation looks like. I keep dreaming of both! I don't have a casual squishy weekend/day bag only a GST and a few flaps so the ITM will add a different mix!

Do you find that things get lost inside your ITM due to its roundness? Has the softness of the leather stayed soft? It hasn't gotten worn down though right? Sorry for all the questions!

Nanne19 said:
I have the ITM ala Hilary Duff - the the first edition in black with a brown handle. I have to say that I am very pleased with this bag although it is seasonal but it is one of a kind. I have been using it as an everyday bag like my GST and I could say that it is holding pretty well. FYI, I am not the type of person that baby my bag - I bought a bag because I want to use it not to keep it in my closet. I agree that the leather is soft however its holding up really well. My ITM is black therefore if you want to use it as an everyday bag, black is your best choice. I did get ITM in chocolate caramel but returned it since I was affraid for the stain, color transfer, etc. between ITM and CAMaxi, I would pick ITM but having said that it is depend on your needs - the CAMaxi could also be used for a nite out whereas the ITM is more like a day bag, you can put a lot into it. Hope this help. Good luck deciding!

Yes, that's the bag! I have loved it ever since I saw it a while back and then dismissed it because I was trying to buy a classic flap. Now I am ready for a casual day bag, something not so stiff and structured. I want a bag that I can sort of throw my stuff into and not worry about trying to pack my contents in carefully to fit the bag.

The only Chanel tote I own is a GST and while I love it, I want a different tote and I think the ITM is fits the bill. The CAM is also kind of squarish like the GST though the softer leather is a big draw.. But it's still has a flap and I want something else other than a flap..thinking out loud here. I'm like you, I buy my bags to use them, for sure! Thanks for your input!

LOL! I totally hear ya! I took the plunge on the 13C metallic green in a WOC. It's as big as I can go with a patent and the price is not a huge commitment unlike for a medium or jumbo in patent.

I think I'll know more today what my ITM vs. CAM situation looks like. I keep dreaming of both! I don't have a casual squishy weekend/day bag only a GST and a few flaps so the ITM will add a different mix!

Do you find that things get lost inside your ITM due to its roundness? Has the softness of the leather stayed soft? It hasn't gotten worn down though right? Sorry for all the questions!

I use a purse organizer whenever I use lrg bags so things don't get lost. The inside is beige so it's also easy to see inside. The leather is the same as the first day - no issues. I thought the handles/trim leather might crack and used Cadillac shoe lotion early on but it's fine.