Help needed from the tPFers who are horse riders

woodstock

Oct 19, 2006
Yes- this is purse related :smile:

I know there are quite a few horseback riders here on the forum and I'd love some advice.

I'm going to be purposefully vague b/c I don't want to violate any rules.

Okay, so I am currently riding a medium pony that is for sale. He's quite round and has wide withers and so none of my saddles fit (I usually ride/own TBs with high withers). I'm looking to get something to use on him but don't want to blow much money since he is for sale (and I don't own him- am riding for the owner).

So I posted on our local horse board looking for a trade: my handbag for a Wintec saddle.

I've gotten one bite- a Wintec 500.

My dilemma is this- I'm not sure that such a trade is worth it.

The handbag is $725 new, I purchased it for much, much less when it was one season old. I've only used it a couple times; the style doesn't suit me. I've been tracking these handbags on ebay, b/c I thought I'd sell it that way. Doesn't seem like these (or many, for that matter) are moving for any considerable money. Maybe for $150 or so?
At any rate- the Wintec 500 is the mid-grade Wintec. I've never ridden in one so I'm figuring whatever I get I have to be able to resell (in case I hate). It seems that these saddles are going for about $150 to $200 on ebay. However, ebay and craiglist are filled with these saddles, so it might be hard to resell.
I'm trying to decide if the trade is worth it. I mean, I have a handbag that will likely be hard to resell for any substantial money (seeing as these just aren't selling well right now).

So do I trade for a saddle worth less than the handbag, figuring even though I'll get less the saddle will likely be easier to sell?

Sorry for the novel :smile:

mlinky

O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
My POV, from what you stated, the current market price for both is about $150, so it is an even trade money-wise. You are not using the bag, but you are riding the pony. You both will be happier with a saddle that fits you both, so, long story short, make the trade.

Heck, I wish I were in NYC. Did you see that they had Hermes saddles at the sample sale for $750?

mlinky

O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
Another thing, the Wintec has an adjustable gullet, so it will fit many horses. I also know people who love them for occasional trail rides because they can just be hosed off. It may be a handy saddle to keep.

woodstock

Oct 19, 2006
Thanks Mlinky- sound advice :smile:

I just keep getting stuck on the fact that people tell me the 500 AP kinda stinks. Hmmmmm-I hate being indecissive!

And- I can't believe that an Hermes would ever be that cheap! That's amazing. I guess not living in NYC is good for my wallet! But I'm still working on DH to get a job there once he graduates from law school :smile:

woodstock

Oct 19, 2006
Just wanted to add that, I think, the other reason I am stuck is b/c in my head I know the handbag is worth far more that $150. It is such a lovely bag-beautiful leather, suede lining, etc. Reason I haven't really used it much is because the style doesn't totally suit me (it one of those convertable- shoulder strap or handheld styles).

mlinky

O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
Just wanted to add that, I think, the other reason I am stuck is b/c in my head I know the handbag is worth far more that $150. It is such a lovely bag-beautiful leather, suede lining, etc. Reason I haven't really used it much is because the style doesn't totally suit me (it one of those convertable- shoulder strap or handheld styles).

...She says as she and her saddle slide slowly under a pony belly OR as she flies through the air because the pony doesn't like having his withers pinched. Just kidding, sorta...

Maybe you are reluctant because the handbag is a really nice bag, and the Wintec is a really not so nice saddle? Could you find an old wide tree Crump or something similar for the same price?

Last edited:

mockinglee

Piemaker
O.G.
May 17, 2007
I haven't ridden since I was a kid and don't know much about the equipment, so this might seem like a silly question, but....since you are riding him for another person, does the owner have a saddle that fits him that you could use?

ruemode

Ridin' and Stylin'
Dec 10, 2006
Another thing, the Wintec has an adjustable gullet, so it will fit many horses. I also know people who love them for occasional trail rides because they can just be hosed off. It may be a handy saddle to keep.

This is exactly how I feel. You aren't using the saddle, but the pony needs to be ridden. My parents have wintecs for their horses, and they love them - very low maintenance. I ride in a Bates, but the adjustable gullet is what sold me (I don't own a horse, but have leased a Voortenburg, Appendix and TB - the saddle fit them all perfectly) - and the original idea came from the Wintec model.

woodstock

Oct 19, 2006
...She says as she and her saddle slide slowly under a pony belly OR as she flies through the air because the pony doesn't like having his withers pinched. Just kidding, sorta...

Ha, ha, ha :smile: This made me giggle! Well I do have a saddle that fits fairly well, just not perfect (my Bruno delGrange), but I've been hearing it squeak a little and now I'm freaked that the tree might have a screw loose or something so haven't wanted to use it until I get it checked. The peeps on Chronicle of the Horse forum (COTH) have me convinced that the next time I use it I'll destroy the tree (gulp- won't be fun to replace!).

So- the main reason for giving a wintec a try.

As for whether pony's owner supplying a saddle, you're probably right. But easier just to go this route. Pony's owner is a farm manager and doesn't ride herself (so doesn't have her own saddle that I could use).

Thank you lovely ladies for your advice :yes: I think I am going to do the trade.

Heck- with all the rain we've been having this last couple days (yes, I rode in the pouring rain a day ago, with water dripping off my helmet into my eyes, yuck) I've been thinking a synthetic saddle would be wonderful :smile:

mlinky

O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
Heck- with all the rain we've been having this last couple days (yes, I rode in the pouring rain a day ago, with water dripping off my helmet into my eyes, yuck) I've been thinking a synthetic saddle would be wonderful :smile:

Send some our way...I've been choking on arena dust. :yes:

Let us know how it goes. I've been thinking about getting a Wintec myself.