Help needed choosing between 2 bags

maplecottage

Sep 20, 2008
Hi ladies

An opportunity has cropped up where I could get a black pleated poppy - I would only need one black bag so Black Bayswater would have to find a new home.

If you had the choice between the two, which one would you choose and why?

I am swaying towards Poppy right now, but my black bays has done a great job so far, and it has a bit of a iconic status, and the fact Kate Moss has one - not that I buy bags based on celebrity!!

I really don't know which way to go, and having two black bags is not an option - one would always sit in the cupboard.

Flossie/Dita how do you get on with yours and do you use them often? Are they more of a tote (i.e. open top) what are the features, benefits of the bag?

Your help and advice welcome :tup:

Well, Im not flossie or dita but I thought I would reply anyway!

I would keep the bays and then hold out for a poppy in a different shade, maybe sand?

Cant really say why but Im just not that keen on the black poppy (dont mean to offend anyone here!), but the pleated in other colours such a navy (like ditas) and the sand look fab...

Mmmm I use Bays for daily work and Poppy for some weekend. Poppy is more tote/open top obviously - it's impossible, like comparing square and triangle...
Good luck for your decision - pleated Poppy would be more difficult to find again, though.

I really do like the Poppy although I actually prefer the non-pleated one in Black (with the Silver Hardware). I think the Pleated Poppy looks nice but in Black I think it looks better plain.

For me - I think I would have to choose the Bays purely because its such an iconic bag. If you didn't have either bag then I would say go with whatever you think you would use more and which one suits your lifestyle more but as you already have the Bays and getting the Poppy would mean letting the Bays go - then I say .... don't do it!

But that is purely my opinion. I always think its a shame for somebody to get rid of a Bayswater to get something more 'fashionable' because the Bays is a Classic.

Hula, that's the exact colour I wanted, sand - but didn't think I'd ever see it again.

Thanks Hula, am taking everyone's opinions on board here, I guess my worry about the black was that the hardware might stand out a bit too much or it might look too blingy, but still aren't sure.

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate it.

No question about it, I would keep black Bays. When I bought her I tought I would use her the least of my Bays, but I actually use her the most. But then again I am not a poppygirl, so I am not even tempted by that one, and especially not in black. For some reason I like the Poppy more in light colors.

If you like the poppy I would wait for it in a different color, a more summerycolor.

Hi ratrat, that's precisely what I thought (being more difficult to find) so am being very careful with this decision.

Thanks

Mmmm I use Bays for daily work and Poppy for some weekend. Poppy is more tote/open top obviously - it's impossible, like comparing square and triangle...
Good luck for your decision - pleated Poppy would be more difficult to find again, though.

That's why it's so hard, aaarghh

I really do like the Poppy although I actually prefer the non-pleated one in Black (with the Silver Hardware). I think the Pleated Poppy looks nice but in Black I think it looks better plain.

For me - I think I would have to choose the Bays purely because its such an iconic bag. If you didn't have either bag then I would say go with whatever you think you would use more and which one suits your lifestyle more but as you already have the Bays and getting the Poppy would mean letting the Bays go - then I say .... don't do it!

But that is purely my opinion. I always think its a shame for somebody to get rid of a Bayswater to get something more 'fashionable' because the Bays is a Classic.

hi Salikons, like you use Bays black most - I only took notice of poppy because of Flossie's beige bag.

Thanks for your help.

No question about it, I would keep black Bays. When I bought her I tought I would use her the least of my Bays, but I actually use her the most. But then again I am not a poppygirl, so I am not even tempted by that one, and especially not in black. For some reason I like the Poppy more in light colors.

If you like the poppy I would wait for it in a different color, a more summerycolor.

It sounds to me that you're thinking about this Pleated Poppy because you like Flossie's Sand one but you can't find a Sand one and you've been offered this Black one.

I think if its Sand that you want that you ought to pass on this Black one and wait or hunt down a Sand one!

Just because its the bag you want, its not the colour you want is it? I'm not sure you will LOVE IT if you get it.

Hi Maple ,
AS you know I'm a Bays girl at heart and love all my babies , however there is something very classy about pleated poppy . Bays is iconic whereas poppy is uber glam ( I seemed to have used that a lot lately ). Have you tried Poppy at all ? It's a real love or hate bag with all the zips . I would never sell an iconic bag , they will be with you forever , whereas Poppy may have a shorter shelf life .
It's a difficult choice as I love both in different ways.

As you use & love your Bayswater, I'd say hang onto it and then wait for a Poppy in another colour. I'm sure a pleated Sand Poppy will come up again. I know everyone always says you should hang onto classics and, in your case, that's probably the right advice. But the classics aren't for everyone - I think I'd rather have a current bag, use it loads and it will become a classic for me, iyswim. I sold my Bays having used it less than 10 times - it's just not right for me atm.

I haven't used my Poppy in a little while (too many new bags :shame: ) but she remains a firm favourite. I just love using it but I know that it's not for everyone. The shape works very well for me as it tucks under the arm nicely - and the straps are really long which is a plus. It's very light in weight and the leather is beautifully soft. I just use the magnetic closure at the top and never really use the clasp. I like that it's easy to find things in it.

So, yes, put a Poppy on your "think about" list. But perhaps let the black one go :yes:

Oracle according to Dita ;)

I think black bays has more longevity and is iconic but then personally i'm not keen on the open top aspect of the poppy.

edited to add i didn't realise it had a magnetic closure in addition to the claps thing!!!! ooh!