Help needed asap, husband going to get me first Chanel for Xmas in Abu Dhabi

rosieroseanna

Spenderella
O.G.
Dec 9, 2006
I have wanted a black Chanel Classic flap for years!! My husband is going to Abu Dhabi next week with work and says he will get me one there tax free for Christmas and now I don't know which to get.

I have searched for threads comparing lamb to caviar but can't find much.

I already have a black Mulberry Mabel and a black Gucci studded pelham as everyday black bags so I don't need an everyday bag. I prefer the look of the largest size before the Jumbo, the classic size but don't know if I will regret it. I think this size will be good for dinner, weddings, dressy daytime occasions and I could use it in the day if I don't take too much with me.

This will be my only Chanel bag for a LONG time so I need to get it right, I also don't know if I can exchange in the UK if it's bought in Abu Dhabi! Should I get the largest size before the jumbo or the jumbo? Is the jumbo too big for evening? I really don't know!

Also, caviar or lamb? How bad does the lamb look with scratches? Is it really that delicate? Does it get watermarked if drink is spilled on it?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

I'm kind of in the same boat you're in. I'm getting the M/L black caviar jumbo w/ghw for christmas. I've tried it on in the store and I :heart: :heart: :heart: it...I especially love that it has the double flap so it has a bit of Coco history in it as well :smile:. I don't think you'll regret it one bit.

I'm kind of in the same boat you're in. I'm getting the M/L black caviar jumbo w/ghw for christmas. I've tried it on in the store and I :heart: :heart: :heart: it...I especially love that it has the double flap so it has a bit of Coco history in it as well :smile:. I don't think you'll regret it one bit.

Are you getting the M/L or the Jumbo? I just can't decide and because this is the most I will have ever had spent on a bag I have to get the right one

I'm getting the M/L :smile: That way I can use it day and night. I don't carry much for myself and I use a baby bag for my babies things. I have to say, though, I'm also getting a Jumbo in 10C red caviar..but only because they're not making it in the M/L size. I'm pretty sure Katy has the Jumbo on

Caviar is more durable than lambskin. Lambskin is definitely more luxurious though. Depends on what you're looking for.

Katy Perry is wearing the Jumbo in that picture.

I'd say the M/L is more appropriate for evening, but it can't hold much, and definitely not as much as the Jumbo. HTH :smile:

OP, Jumbo Jumbo! You wont regret it! I carry a lot of stuff around with me and the Jumbo fits all of my essentials and more. I wear my Jumbo out to dinner and well, during the day when I'm running errands. The M/L is cuter for dinners, nights out, partying etc, but it cant hold my make-up pouch. I don't know how much you carry but if you like bringing around sunglasses, a planner, a camera, wallet, keys, make-up pouch all at the same time, a Jumbo is probably best.

Also, although Caviar is more durable, as another tPFer mentioned, lambskin looks more luxurious and feels more luxurious.

What colored hardware are you looking at? Silver or gold?

Gold hardware. I just really don't know! There are photos of Nicky Hilton, LC etc wearing the jumbo as an evening bag and it looks fine, I'm not as thin so maybe I could get away with it? I'm thinking more of dinners in nice restaurants with dresses, heels etc, would that look ok in the evening? Maybe as I'm a UK size 12, US 6-8 I would make the bag look smaller?

I also had to get it right when hubby was buying me my first Chanel bag. After going between many, many bags, I ended up buying the GST tote with gold hardware and love it. Its cavier but I still baby it when its raining!!

Hubby gave me a budget - dunno if your hubby is too.

Good luck choosing.

It depends a lot on your personality too.

Are you a worrier about luxury items and very picky about scratches? If so, go with caviar. If you don't mind scratches, and prefer a smoother vs pebbly look, then go with lambskin. I also think black color in caviar looks a little dull compared to lambskin.

As for size -- I think medium is a great size, but don't expect to hold much in it. For more bang for your buck, I'd say go with jumbo, as you can use it during the day and during the night, especially if you are used to using bigger bags.

Also, I happen to prefer the medium size to the jumbo size. I think it looks cuter and is the most "classic" all the sizes...I don't really carry many things with me either, so that helps too :smile:

I think that if you are looking for something special to take out in the evening, I would get the m/l flap. It's a great size and whilst you can't take the kitchen sink with you, it can still take a decent sized purse, phone and lipstick, etc. I've got a lovely m/l lambskin, which is my 'going out' bag and take a jumbo with me to work. Whether you opt fo rcaviar or lambskin, that really is a metter of personal preference. Caviar is more durable, but I've had no problems with lambskin and I would always recommend it to someone, who is looking for something that bit special. Hope this helps. Best wishes with your choice.

PS What a lovely hubby!

OP, I think the Jumbo in black with gold hardware is the way to go!! Beautiful luxe color combination! Proportionally, the Jumbo shouldn't overwhelm you. Hey, it could even look better than a M/L since you're a U.S. size 6-8. Are you tall too?

OP, Chanel is much cheaper in the UK! I was in Abu Dhabi last year and the price of Chanel was ridiculous, that's also the reason why if u visit harrods/selfridges, all the SA will tell you ladies from the Middle East come over to UK and buy Chanels in BULK!

If you happen to pass through Heathrow T3, you can get your bags from there too, that will save you the 15% tax.