Help Needed: A large tote bag that has the following

Morisa

Nov 5, 2011
So I've been using this old Etienne Aigner tote for work to carry my laptop and files back and forth for years now. The handles have cracked and started to fray, so it's time to get a new one.

But, I'm having the hardest time finding a bag that is as big as my current bag and with the same number of pockets. Specifically, my current EA has two outside pockets and one large middle pocket that zippers. All of the bags I've seen recently that have the large middle section do NOT have the two outside pockets, which I desperately need. I've attached a few photos of my current EA bag to demonstrate what I mean--the blue thing in the 3rd picture is my laptop sleeve.

So my requirements are:
- Bag size must be at least 16.5" wide at the bottom of the bag. I had found a tote that advertised to be 17.5" wide, but the bag tapered at the bottom, which was not what I wanted. Preferably 18" wide at the bottom (as that is what my current EA is), but not larger.
- must have the two large side pockets and a large middle section. The large middle section must be large enough to fit a laptop (with its case) and a file folder.

Any help on bag recommendations? I am not terribly picky on the material here, although leather is preferred, fabric is fine too, as is pvc or vinyl (so long as the bag doesn't squeak or smell). I would like to stay under $150, as this bag gets beat up, but could be persuaded to go higher if the bag was "just right."

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR EXPERTISE AND KNOWLEDGE!! :smile:

Attachments

Cefran

Nov 29, 2011
I just have a quick question. A lot of totes now come with a padded insert for a laptop. Would you consider one with that and then a large zipped interior?

If so I found this tote on Zappos:
http://www.zappos.com/product/7940565/color/574

It's not exactly what you're looking for (and it's purple), but it looks really roomy. I'm also not familiar with the brand, so if anyone has any knowledge...

I also found one by Buxton:
http://www.staples.com/Buxton-Madison-Tote-Bag-Black-15.4/product_593275http://www.amazon.com/Buxton-Products-Consolidate-essentials-ample-sized/dp/B004E2GCWK

The only caveat with this one is that the two outside pockets don't zip up, so your stuff could fall out. EDIT: I also just realized it's slightly smaller than what you're looking for, but I hope it helps in the search.

I hope that helps :smile:

-Alaina

Last edited:

Morisa

Nov 5, 2011
I just have a quick question. A lot of totes now come with a padded insert for a laptop. Would you consider one with that and then a large zipped interior?
I don't really need a padded insert for the laptop, since the laptop already has its own neoprene sleeve. I suppose I could always just take out the padded insert though.

I've seen the Buxton bag in person, and quite frankly, the quality is disappointing. Lots of poor stitching and loose threads. Not worth the money.

Cefran

Nov 29, 2011
Oooh, I found another one by them that looks to be a bit more what you're looking for:
http://www.suitcase.com/knomo-bayswater-valetta-work-shopper-with-laptop-sleeve-24-256.html

The laptop case is removable, so it wouldn't be a pocket that you can also put a file folder in, but there does seem to be some sort of middle zip pocket? It doesn't look very big though.

It's on sale too on their website:
http://www.knomobags.com/usa/women/sale-usa/valetta-shoulder-hand-bag-black-13-laptop-bag.html/

I hope this helps even though I couldn't find exactly what you were looking for, but hopefully it is a start.

Good luck with your search!

EDIT: I just saw your reply. With the first bag I posted it's not an insert, but a padded pocket for the laptop and then a large zipped area. That's too bad about the Buxton bag it looked rather perfect for what you wanted.

jillybee

Nov 12, 2011
Have you tried the EA website? Maybe there's something similar to what you've been using.

Cait

only once you live
Dec 11, 2005
Longchamp? I'm not sure how much they regularly retail for, but bluefly et al. has some of the nylon totes at or under $100.

Morisa

Nov 5, 2011
Have you tried the EA website? Maybe there's something similar to what you've been using.
I have looked on EA's website, but I haven't found anything. I know EA has the venice work tote, but the reviews for that bag have been rather poor regarding quality, etc. So I'm definitely bummed about that. I'm wondering if the current "style" of bags is more of the square-ish open tote look, instead of the bazillion slip pockets like my old bag has....

Morisa

Nov 5, 2011
Longchamp? I'm not sure how much they regularly retail for, but bluefly et al. has some of the nylon totes at or under $100.
Are you referring to the Le Pliage or a different one? I looked at the Le Pliage totes, but they all taper at the bottom. The Large tote is only 13" at the bottom, which is too small.