HELP- need to make this work friendly

i think a crisp white shirt would be it. and i don't think it'll look too casual. wear one with french cuffs and cufflinks are optional. and cinge the waist in with a thick patent belt. =)

I have to agree with the others that it isn't a black tie appropriate dress - at least for any black tie event that I've been too.

If you're going to add a cardigan it will cover you up but the dress will also look more casual IMO. I also just don't think its work appropriate - keep the dress and get something more sophisticated for the work event, you want people to remember that you looked sophisticated and well-put together, not necessarily what dress you wore.

I think its more semi formal. I think if the bottom of the skirt was symmeritical you could pull off maybe a red or yellowish color shal. Other than that...I don't know what to tell you

we arent allowed to wear long as we are essentially working and need to run around etc..

I think even if you aren't allowed to wear long, you could still do better for black tie than that dress, lovely as it is. A lot of people think shorter cocktail dresses are appropriate for black tie these days (though I personally am not among them, being rather more traditional). But there's a cocktail dress and there's a cocktail dress.

If you're really not allowed to wear a long gown, I'd personally go with something in black or a solid color, knee length, very dressy, and with a more conservative cut (which also solves your coverage issue), and save this dress for something else. JMO!

Ash