Help! Need to buy a bag for my Fiancee!

chasepgt

Mar 2, 2010
Hello all-

My fiancee's 30th birthday is in 2 weeks and I think a new bag is the route I'd like to go for a gift. She is expecting me to pick out a watch for her (that's my hobby) not hers, and she thinks there's NO way I'd get her a purse for her b-day as I'd be too intimidated.

So that's where you all come in. I have no idea about this obviously. The only leather products I'm familiar with are baseball gloves.

Background:

My fiancee has very simple tastes. She shops for clothing primarily at Banana Republic and Ann Taylor. She's the type that wears no make-up unless it's a special occasion (never to work or even a casual weekend night out).

She mentioned to me a few months ago that she really would like one nice black bag that she could dress up or down. Something very versitle, probably in leather. She does not care for the designer bags that have their marketing badge splashed all over them ( such as the LV bags; her sister has one and she doesn't care for anything that showey).

This will probably be appalling to all of you, but she does not currently own a purse. She got mugged last year and since then has not carried one, but I think she's over it. She has a vineyard vines canvas bag that she takes to the gym, but thats about it.

My female friend at work picked out a bag at Coach that she thought would work, it's the Maggie model in black for $348 which is about what I want to spend. I'd consider spending less and getting another gift to complement it, but I'd say 400-450$ or so would be my max$ to spend as we have a wedding to pay for... The only other thing I was considering is maybe a bracelet from David Yurman. She loves that line (although I do not see the attraction to paying such rediculous much money for stainless steel and silver jewelry?!). I know she really wanted one of his watches, but they start at 2k and I just can't swing that.

What do you think? If you could have one purse, one versitle black leather bag....

What would it be?!

Help a guy out!

rebecca minkoff has some nice bags in your range if you catch them on sale. michael kors also has some nice leather bags in his newer lines. i epecially love the beverly in black. it has the softest leather i've ever felt and it's a very classic black bag. retail price for the bag is right at $400. it's been out for a few months now so you may be able to catch it on sale. there is a more expensive version that's more than triple that price from his upper lines that looks identical to it, so if you're interested, make sure you take a look at the right one.

rebecca minkoff has some nice bags in your range if you catch them on sale. michael kors also has some nice leather bags in his newer lines. i epecially love the beverly in black. it has the softest leather i've ever felt and it's a very classic black bag. retail price for the bag is right at $400. it's been out for a few months now so you may be able to catch it on sale. there is a more expensive version that's more than triple that price from his upper lines that looks identical to it, so if you're interested, make sure you take a look at the right one.

Thanks for the tips. One other point I'd like the brand/designer to be well known.

I really feel like if i showed up with a rebecca minkoff (which I'm sure is a nice brand, but not as well known to non-handbag enthusiasts) she wouldn't know anything about that brand and not realize i spent decent money on it or be as impressed/excited. Michael Kors is OK, but he also has some very low priced stuff as well, so I'd prefer to pick something with a little more high end cachet attached to it.

is a premium outlet near you? when I was in the states last summer you could get amazing bags in that price range. . . like a pashmy bag by tod's (was an it-bag, many hollywood stars wear this), nice bags by bally, cole haan and gucci (though i think that gucci will be probably too "loud" for your fiancee, at least the bags in that price-range). of course coach is a great alternatice too. . .
good luck ;)

-Linea Pelle (VERY known and popular yet low-key brand. Seen on LOTS of celebs) Dylan Medium tote ($415): http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=758921002&tid=plsp1r&kwid=1&ap=7 ($395): http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=758921002&tid=plsp1r&kwid=1&ap=7
-Badgley Mischka (High end, good price) Slouchy Leather Shopper ($325): http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3077697...are&siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-jfK3T0NKKPFBL8X6pfnVtg
-Michael Kors ($348): http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3060552...are&siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-CuyTiGEcCDX5NPuYSIoHaQ
-ShopStyle.com (Black bags in between $250-500): http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/handbags?fl=c16&fl=p12

Good luck!

Oh, and always make sure to check for coupon codes for the website that you're looking to buy from at retailmenot.com.

^^^
I agree, Cole Haan bags sound like they would be right up your fiance's alley!

i think she'd like those as well, I picked out a cole haan bag on bluefly, but it was less than i wante dto spend.

Right now I have her friends voting on 2 coach bags.

2 votes for Hailey in black and 2 votes for Maggie.

I do realize that this is rediculous btw... :>

Right now, Coach is sending out PCE cards ( Prefered Customer Event 40% off discount ). You may be able to find a PCE card on ebay for a few dollars or, you can also ask over in the Coach subforum if anyone has one they aren't using..
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/
Then, you could get that Black Coach Maggie for 40% and still have enough left over for other things.

Also, if you have a Coach outlet near you, you may want to check there. I'm not sure if the Maggies have hit the outlets yet or not but, you may be able to find something there for a great deal. Heck, at the outlet, you should be able to get her a Purse, Wallet, Wristlet, AND maybe a Key fob or scarf for $400 to $450.

I have a Hailey. I like the Maggie (looks more dressy/classy than the Hailey, at least to me) but it looks quite a bit bigger to me and even the Hailey is bigger than I need. If you decide on Coach they do have a very liberal exchange/return policy if it isn't exactly what she wants.

I love Marc by Marc Jacobs. Kate Spade has some simple, appropriate bags, too.

This is wonderful of you to do for your fiancee. :smile: I know many guys wouldn't go through all this trouble, so props to you!

Marc by Marc Jacobs would be my suggestion as well. His stuff has great leather and style, and his name is well respected. I don't love the leather on the newer Madison stuff for Coach, but between the 2, the Hailey is my pick. Too bad Sabrina was discontinued, or I would vote for that one.

You've definitely gotten some great suggestions so far. Although (and this is coming from a Marc Jacobs collector) I think Marc by Marc Jacobs bags are more "young." They're gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but in general they're not what I would call classics. Not judging by what you described as your fiance's preferences.

Here are some good options (in my opinion)...and this isn't silly at all! It's hard to pick out gifts, especially ones you want someone to wear :P.

Kate Spade
- Gold Coast Maryanne (totally classic, beautiful but understated, super versatile)
- Brooklyn Heights Jillian (beautiful, casual everyday bag)

Cole Haan
- 'Saddle' Box Satchel (love this! another versatile one IMO)
- Saddle Small Soft Tote (larger, shoulder-bag version of box satchel)
- Eve Soft Tote (simple, but lots of rich detail with the texture)

Marc Jacobs Collection
- Cammie Crossbody (smaller, and a teeensy bit above your price range, but may be perfect if she's easing back into wearing a purse after her bad experience - and I bet you can find a promo code in the Deals and Steals thread or at retailmenot)

Let us know what you end up getting her! Good luck!