Tech Help! Need new computer.

I use a Lenovo laptop at work (and at home) and haven't had any problems with it. In fact I've never had any problems with any of my PCs, so I, too, don't see the point of spending an extra coupla hundred dollars on getting a machine of lesser specs. My Lenovo is not "pretty" or "cute" or <insert another Mac adjective here>, but it gets the job done.

What sort of issues did you have with the Dell?

When I first received the Dell and got it all set up the next time I turned on the computer it started up and then the screen went black and the monitor power button went from green to yellow. I had to press the power button to power it down. I just thought it was a fluke and tried it again and it started normal this time. Next day started it up and black screen again. Called Dell customer service and they thought it was the monitor and walked me through some tests and thought it was fixed. Next time I turned on the Dell black screen again, called cs again. I told him what we had done the day before and he had me try something else for the screen. Next time turned on the Dell same thing. Called cs and this time the person thought it was because something had loaded twice in the set up. He walked me through a fix and said the black screen would not happen again and guess what happened the next time I turned it on? Yep, black screen. Called back again a couple more times and never got the problem resolved. The last time I called cs they thought it was because it might need one of the vista updates. Tried that and the next couple of times I turned the Dell on it started ok and then would not turn on the next time. I stopped calling cs because I just got tired of calling and getting nowhere.

I have only been on that computer about 5 times in a year and half because all it does it make me mad. Doing the windows vista updates do help and then it seems to start up ok the next few times. Then when I think its fixed black screen again.

The Bestbuy associate told us on Saturday that some component (can't remember which) wasn't compatible with another and people were having problems. We bought the computer shortly after Vista come out so am not sure if this is part of the problem.

Then it's a defective set. Sounds like shutdown mode would kick in periodically. Couldn't you have returned it or exercise the warranty? There is no restocking fee for a problem like that and there's no way I'd deal with it. I know vista was a nightmare ( don't know if it is anymore) ..but I keep XP on my computers and have been happy with it.

I recently bought a Macbook, and couldn't be happier. No problems so far! I have Microsoft Office on it, as well as Quicken, and I use Safari for web browsing, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, and iChat. I also bought the Apple Care when I purchased it.

You should try using iWork '08 (or now '09) on it in lieu of Microsoft Office. MUCH, much better and you can export as word docs, pps, and excel documents. And you can open any of the Microsoft Office apps in these, as well. I have never looked back since using iWork '08 and I love it. Why not go ALL Mac, all the time? LOL

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like apple is highly recommended.

A couple more questions about apple.
1. I have heard that if you are on a mac and receive an email with a word attachment in it that you will not be able to open it. The salesperson at bestbuy said I would have to buy additional software for this. We didn't get into what software that was. Is it the microsoft office as mentioned above or does something like iworks open a word document?

2. The salesperson at bestbuy said pretty much the only difference between the macbook and the macbook pro was the bigger screen size. What are the other differences? I read on one of the review sites that the macbook doesn't have firewire but I don't know that I would miss it anyway if I really don't know what it is (I'm not really techie at all).

3. I live close to a bestbuy but the closest apple store is 1 1/2 hours away. Is it better to buy at an apple store or is it ok to buy from bestbuy?

That is not true. As long as you have MS Office for Mac or iWork '08/'09 (which is what I have), you can open these attachments. I receive these attachments all the time without any problems.

Boy, clearly they don't know what they're talking about over there.

1. I have heard that if you are on a mac and receive an email with a word attachment in it that you will not be able to open it. The salesperson at bestbuy said I would have to buy additional software for this. We didn't get into what software that was. Is it the microsoft office as mentioned above or does something like iworks open a word document?

2. The salesperson at bestbuy said pretty much the only difference between the macbook and the macbook pro was the bigger screen size. What are the other differences? I read on one of the review sites that the macbook doesn't have firewire but I don't know that I would miss it anyway if I really don't know what it is (I'm not really techie at all).

3. I live close to a bestbuy but the closest apple store is 1 1/2 hours away. Is it better to buy at an apple store or is it ok to buy from bestbuy?

Sigh. My former colleagues at Best Buy have not been entirely accurate in their info.

1. In order to work with Microsoft Office files on either a mac or pc, you'll need to buy Microsoft Office (which has versions for either) or iWork (which is for mac). Office for either type of computer is about $150, and iWork is $70. I have both on my Mac, but I prefer to use iWork. iWork will let you save any word processing document as a .pages, .doc, or .pdf file.

2. Screen size is one difference, but MacBook Pros are going to have bigger, beefier components - larger hard drives, faster processors, better graphics cards, etc. It's possible to get a MacBook with specs close to that of the MacBook Pros, but you really have to look at the specs for all the different models on apple.com to decide what you need. If you just do basic computing (internet, email, research, word processing) and you don't mind a smaller size, the regular MacBook is probably fine for you.

3. I spent 3 years working for Best Buy and really have awesome things to say about the company and how much they taught me, but if that's the info you got from them, you might want to look and see if there's an independent Apple retailer in your area that would be closer than an Apple store. I got my Mac at a local store called PeachMac before all Best Buy locations carried Apple in-store, and the people working there taught me a ton of stuff and helped me acclimate to my new computer a great deal.

If you go back to Best Buy, try to talk to the person that Apple staffs at the Apple display, not someone employed by the store (they'll have a different shirt). Some of the BBY employees won't know a great deal about Macs. If it WAS the guy in the black shirt that Apple staffs at the display that gave you that info, then run, don't walk, to the nearest place that sells Apple that is not Best Buy. Try googling "independent apple retailer *your location here*"

As to whether you actually need a Mac...you probably don't. But they're great computers, and I thought I was going to stroke out trying to get my brother's brand new Vista laptop to work last weekend when I brought it home to him. I'm very familiar with both operating systems, and Vista just makes me want to punch things. It's really a giant pain in the rear compared to working for a Mac, which is why I switched about a year and a half ago.

Last edited:
I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my sony vaio!!! I have it in the champagne color and it's so dang cute lol! Works wonderful; I just browse the web, do school work, watch dvds, music, email, photos, etc on it... totally love it! I have no idea what their CS is like because I've never had to call! My ONLY complaint is that the battery doesn't last ALL that long (2+ hrs depending on what you're doing) but you can buy longer batteries. I don't travel much so my laptop is always plugged in on my desk so I don't really worry about this aspect much!

Firewire is a method of transferring data between devices. It's just a port on the side of the laptop that you connect a firewire cable into. It's somewhat like usb but much faster. The new macbook doesn't have it. You wouldn't need it.

I have both a macbook and a macbook pro. They are both great computers. I prefer the pro but that's because i'm a computer science student and I needed the larger display and memory. I would go with the regular macbook if I were you. They're still selling the white macbooks for 999. It doesn't have as much hard drive as the new macbook nor does it have the same quality display but it's 300 dollars less.

I honestly would say you should make the drive to the apple store. They would be much better at helping you choose. From what I've seen at the best buys I go to they don't seem to train their employees well enough when it comes to apple products. A few times i've gone into the one near my place and I see employees having a hard time talking to people that want to buy macs. A few times i've stepped in and told the person or couple just to head to apple.

Best of luck!

Oh, and for Apple, if you can use a PC and it meets your needs, I don't see any reason why you should spend the extra 400-600 bucks on an Apple, but hey, it's your money. :smile:

Totally agree... I've played around with macs, and I think they're great and all... just not the price tag! Right now, I'm not really willing to pay that much for one, when I can get something suitable (PC) for my needs for far less $$$.

I've had a Dell laptop for nearly 4 years, and have never had any problems with it. It's still in great shape, but I'm also considering purchasing a new laptop simply because I want something thinner/lighter/more portable. My brother also has a dell laptop for just about as long as I have (he bought his 2 months after I got mine), and has never had any issues either.

^^ I have a Dell desktop and have problems with it so I really don't want another Dell. My Gateway that I had worked great but I heard that since they were bought out 3 yrs ago their quality has gone down (according to Bestbuy associate).

I am really just looking for something that will give me the least amount of problems. I have found that I have no patience when it comes to computer problems and talking to customer service that can't fix a problem.

My husband though will agree - why spend that much more money when a pc will handle all I would use it for.

I have never had a Mac but I hear good things about them (other than you pay more most of the time). I would never buy a Dell laptop. I've used them for work and they were always having issues. My Dell desktop had no issues other than a monitor that went out a week after I got it and Dell was great about replacing it asap. But now I build my own desktops so I haven't had a Dell in quite a while. I have owned two different Toshiba laptops and loved them. I have never owned a Sony but have heard horror stories about their customer service. I will love to hear what you end up with.

When I first received the Dell and got it all set up the next time I turned on the computer it started up and then the screen went black and the monitor power button went from green to yellow. I had to press the power button to power it down. I just thought it was a fluke and tried it again and it started normal this time. Next day started it up and black screen again. Called Dell customer service and they thought it was the monitor and walked me through some tests and thought it was fixed. Next time I turned on the Dell black screen again, called cs again. I told him what we had done the day before and he had me try something else for the screen. Next time turned on the Dell same thing. Called cs and this time the person thought it was because something had loaded twice in the set up. He walked me through a fix and said the black screen would not happen again and guess what happened the next time I turned it on? Yep, black screen. Called back again a couple more times and never got the problem resolved. The last time I called cs they thought it was because it might need one of the vista updates. Tried that and the next couple of times I turned the Dell on it started ok and then would not turn on the next time. I stopped calling cs because I just got tired of calling and getting nowhere.

I have only been on that computer about 5 times in a year and half because all it does it make me mad. Doing the windows vista updates do help and then it seems to start up ok the next few times. Then when I think its fixed black screen again.

The Bestbuy associate told us on Saturday that some component (can't remember which) wasn't compatible with another and people were having problems. We bought the computer shortly after Vista come out so am not sure if this is part of the problem.

You should have insisted on a replacement. There's no reason you should have had to live with a computer that doesn't work properly.

Just like with anythng (even Apple), there are duds out of the box.

Honestly, you probably have a perfectly good PC just sitting there. You might need to run the Vista service pack. Have you attempted that?

Thanks for all the information everyone. I called 1.800.myapple yesterday and got a lot of good information. Even though I haven't put photos from my camera on my computer yet i thought face recognition in iphoto was really neat. Another thing I found was they were looking for the right computer for my needs and not trying to sell me their most expensive. They also recommended the macbook for my needs unless I thought I wanted a bigger screen.

I'm still trying to decide, my husband thinks I should go with the toshiba for around $600 and I am becoming partial to a macbook at $1299 (I would want the silver color). Just now to decide if the extra $$'s are worth it.

You might need to run the Vista service pack. Have you attempted that?

Honestly I haven't done anything to it except for the few times I have been on it, run the windows updates. I could bring it into town and have a computer repair person look at it but with my luck it will start just fine for him.

I should have just kept after them but I got tired of it. I am great at knowing how to run the basics but beyond that I don't have a clue about computers. It was just very frustrating when I would do exactly as they said and the computer didn't get the result they wanted and cs would ask 'did you do this, did you do that', it just seemed to me like he didn't believe that I was doing what he said. On one of the calls my husband happened to be around and I just handed him the phone in the middle of it because I was about ready to explode. The guy walked through the same thing with my husband and it didn't work for him either and the cs started questioning him too and my husband let him have it. So for me it just wasn't worth it. We had a month to return the computer but didn't get it set up until a couple of weeks into it. My gut was just to send it back but then figured we would get it figured out - I guess next time I will listen to my gut.

I'm telling you, from what you've told me, your PC is probably 100 bucks, at most, away from working fine (this is assuming you've let the warranty lapse). I'd take it to a local PC shop, or a friend who knows what he/she is doing, and have all the Vista updates loaded. I'm betting that's your problem.