Help ~ need grey but am confused!

leesee

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
I want a grey City or Velo. Considering an anthracite (I know it's not traditional grey), Gris Tarmac or Gris Pyrite.

The only color I've ever seen in person is the anthracite. How do you all feel about the other greys I've mentioned? I'd like to use it year round. Which is your favorite and why?

Thanks for helping out a confused returning Bal gal.

:confused1:

hi there! I have a Gris Tarmac city and use it year round. It's a very true grey, with no blue or green undertones that anthracite has. here's a photo -- the color here is pretty accurate:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406683161.694519.jpg

I have anthracite and gris tarmac.
This is probably not a popular opinion here on TPF, as it seems many are crazy about anthracite but I like the gris tarmac more. It's more of a true grey.
Don't get me wrong, I love the anthracite too - love greys in general - but if I had to choose 1, I would go GT.
I wear my grey bags all year round so can't really help ya there.
I had a thread that compared anthracite, GT and ardoise in pictures. I'll try and track down the pictures or at least the thread if that helps!

Ok, I had 2 threads...did I mention I love grey? :P

The first picture is GT on the left and anthracite on the right.
The second picture is GT on the bottom (the Day bag underneath the other 2), Anthracite at the top (the pencil case), and the Hip is Ardoise.

Attachments

• 20130708_181734_resized.jpg
    20130708_181734_resized.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 20140424_224633_resized.jpg
    20140424_224633_resized.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 442
Oh this is really helpful!!!

I'm loving the pictures! Interesting about the anthracite. I bought an anthra city awhile back and returned it ~ stupid indecisiveness. :cursing:I've always regretted that. Now that theyre getting rare, I'm thinking I should try and grab one. But then I got sidetracked by the salesperson sending me pics of Gris Pyrite and Gris Tarmac. Greys are hard to see in the pics. Now I'm torn ~ can only do one. They all have the basic hardware.

What to do.....aargghh!!?

They're too $$$ now to make a mistake. I wear lots of navy, grey, blacks ~ neutrals, some reds, especially in the fall and winter.

Anyone have a Velo in Anthra ~ that's in the mix too.
Thanks again!

hi there! I have a Gris Tarmac city and use it year round. It's a very true grey, with no blue or green undertones that anthracite has. here's a photo -- the color here is pretty accurate:

View attachment 2702036

I am in love with your City! :love:

All I have to say about the Gris Tarmac leather, is that it is the most amazing leather ever! I only have a pouch in GT but whenever I touch it I wish I had this color in a City.

I love Gris Tarmac as well.
If I could go back, I would sell my Anthra in a heartbeat for the GT.

I don't think any recent Anthras are a true Gray color. Most seem to have that green undertone. At least the ones I've seen going back to 2011.

Here is a pic of my 2011 Anthra Hip & 2013 Gris Tarmac CP...

2i9qfli.jpg

I was just in your exact same dilemma. I ended up buying the Anthra. Honestly, when I look at my bag I think it's gray. Only in certain conditions does it sort of look like it has a tad of teal in it. Personally, that's why I wanted a Bal. Their colors can be a bit tricky to describe and that makes them unique. My second choice was the GT. To be fair, I wanted to see the colors in person first and my store didn't have GT, only Anthra in stock. I don't know what I would have done had I seen GT in person but I know that I about passed out when I saw Anthra...it's love.

I love GP, it will be my next purchase, I think it goes so well with GGH.

But Anthracite may be a better choice if you want to use the bag all year round, it is one of the most popular colour of Balenciaga, they have it EVERY YEAR.

I would go for anthracite if it will be my first Bal, if not I will go for GP, it is so beautiful and once you missed it, you may not be able to find it anymore.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

I was just in your exact same dilemma. I ended up buying the Anthra. Honestly, when I look at my bag I think it's gray. Only in certain conditions does it sort of look like it has a tad of teal in it. Personally, that's why I wanted a Bal. Their colors can be a bit tricky to describe and that makes them unique. My second choice was the GT. To be fair, I wanted to see the colors in person first and my store didn't have GT, only Anthra in stock. I don't know what I would have done had I seen GT in person but I know that I about passed out when I saw Anthra...it's love.

Interesting, what year is your Anthra?
Mine is 2011 and it's way too teal looking for me. Then again, none of the Anthras I've seen are a true grey without that teal undertone.

I'm guessing the way we view color can also determine how much green we'll see in it.

Mine is 2011 and it's way too teal looking for me. Then again, none of the Anthras I've seen are a true grey without that teal undertone.

I'm guessing the way we view color can also determine how much green we'll see in it.

Mine is SS 2014. I've actually had several people comment on my "black bag". That throws me off because it really doesn't look black. So I agree--we all view color a bit differently.

BPC, i have a 2011 anthra PT, and it has a strong teal undertone, even the stitching looks teal. Not that i don't love it!... This is one of my fave!... The leather is thicker (but still soft) than my other agneau bals!

Thank you all so much for you great info and pics. If I could find an Anthra or Gris Tarmac in the quality of the leathers I've seen on this thread I would be happy with either color!! I think I'm leaning away from Gris Pyrite as I feel it may be too light and not be as year-round of a color (and I hate to baby my handles)! If course the GP I've seen in a pic i was sent is a gorgeous leather, but I've never bought a lighter bag ~ like my bags to blend with all my darker clothes.
The 2 cities I've found don't look as lovely as the ones in the pics here ~ maybe that's why they're still available. I'm all about the leather and don't want to settle (especially at new prices) if I'm not blown away. Anyone know if Anthra will be coming out again this season? I would wait if that's the case so I might have some choices. I know Gris Tarmac is older, so I would have to get the one I've found that doesn't look as gorgeous as the ones I'm seeing here.
This is one of the reasons I strayed from Bal ~ so hard to buy sight unseen ~ it's always a crapshoot!
I'm so happy to have the forum to so I'm not talking to myself!

Mine is SS 2014. I've actually had several people comment on my "black bag". That throws me off because it really doesn't look black. So I agree--we all view color a bit differently.

Almost black??! wow.. I need to take a look at the new Anthras again. Don't remember them being that dark.

BPC, i have a 2011 anthra PT, and it has a strong teal undertone, even the stitching looks teal. Not that i don't love it!... This is one of my fave!... The leather is thicker (but still soft) than my other agneau bals!

I think 2011's are just green with an "Anthra" undertone..lol
Don't think mine has thicker leather than my others.. but I will check next time I use it.