Help! Need advice on vintage bag repair

cyndayco

Dec 12, 2007
My mom handed down a Gucci cosmetic case from the Eighties, which I thought would make a practical clutch for parties. The outside is still perfectly ok. But the lining is now threadbare and beginning to rip near the zipper. What's the best solution for that?

I would suggest taking it to a leather shop with some fabric you have chosen and asking them to totally replace the lining. If it is only threadbare in the tearing spot then try some bias tape (I think that's what it's called). Insert it between the lining and the shell of the bag and iron it into place. This is if the bag's body is fabric that can stand to be ironed, so defiantly not leather, lol. If you can't or don't feel confident ironing it perhaps just a piece of sticky tape inserted between the existing lining and the shell to hold the tear closed. Perhaps that would do the trick..??

Stormy - you around? You know more about this kind of stuff (I think) than the rest of us piled together! lol ;)

:sunshine:Good Morning ! Thanks Asark :flowers:
Since the linng is kaput, finis, threadbare, over-loved, etc....
Best thing is to replace the lining, like Asark says, with the help of a leather shop.
Rips near zippers can be fixed but only if the fabric still has life.
Chances are that after being used for cosmetics, there are stains and spills anyhow.
Recycling a Gucci ~ making it a clutch is a wonderful idea ! The new lining could be configured differently for it's new purpose,
if you want more than a simple lining.
If you have a friend who is a talented seamstress, enlist her services. Next, head to the fabric store to pick up a new lining fabric of your choice,
( medium weight, smooth. washable). While you're there, a small zipper for an inner pocket,
and a little facing liner. Then, sit down with your friend and draw the new innards, with the zipper on one side, a slip pocket on the other,
and a partition in the center if you like (built with the facing fabric).
After she has made the insides, take the bag to your shoe shop and ask the guy
to sew it in. He can clean and recondition the outside for you, too.
* Custom Gucci ! * :happydance:

hmmm I don't know about the loving bags site...have never heard of it. I have walked past a placed named "art bag" in madison avenue many times and he does bag repairs and refurbishing. May want to look him up and give them a call. I think it's like a purse hospital.

Thanks for the suggestions on configuring the lining!

Did I mention the zipper pull came off? I could replace the pull, but what if I replace it with a leather strap, wristlet bangle or a bag charm? What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks for the suggestions on configuring the lining!

Did I mention the zipper pull came off? I could replace the pull, but what if I replace it with a leather strap, wristlet bangle or a bag charm? What are your thoughts on that?

You're welcome. I hope it's something you can work out. Easy to add a nice leather zipper pull, but better not to make that a bangle or wriststrap (puts too much stress on the zipper).
A wriststrap can be added just inside the bag where the zipper opens, to pull out for a handle or tucked inside if you want plain clutch.
Would you post some 'before' pics for us ?

Here are some quick shots. I feel a little embarrassed posting these because it's just an old cosmetic case. My mom bought this sometime in the late 80s, perhaps early 90s at the latest. She said it was the only bag she could afford at the Gucci store (NY, I think).

I don't know much about Gucci models (am an LV and Chloe fan myself), but it seems to be made of laminated canvas. Other than the zipper pull and the lining, it looks okay, which is why I thought it would be a good clutch, easy to clean and spill-resistant.

2909429923_53920daebd_m.jpg
2909429709_4abbe7913b_m.jpg
2909429099_08f64e6cfe_m.jpg
2909428577_77be0e51c3_m.jpg
2910275726_44d55aa0cf_m.jpg

Here are some quick shots. I feel a little embarrassed posting these because it's just an old cosmetic case. My mom bought this sometime in the late 80s, perhaps early 90s at the latest. She said it was the only bag she could afford at the Gucci store (NY, I think).

I don't know much about Gucci models (am an LV and Chloe fan myself), but it seems to be made of laminated canvas. Other than the zipper pull and the lining, it looks okay, which is why I thought it would be a good clutch, easy to clean and spill-resistant.

I'd like to see a Metallic leather wriststrap and thick zipper tassel pull on this.
Your Mom used it extensively, which is reason enough to care for something.
Sentimental value is priceless. This will make a kick-a** clutch with black, pewter, or silver metallic leather accents.
You could even add metal rings to the sides on matching leather tabs to slide a long chain though for cross- body, hips/waist, or shoulder wear. :peace: