Help! Need a reality check from experienced H owners!

Mellee

O.G.
Oct 20, 2009
Hi everyone, I tried to resist H for as long as possible (due to the cost), but I think I am finally going to take the plunge. I am looking for a gently pre-owned Kelly retourne size 32 and I'm hoping to spend less than 7000 USD, which seems to narrow my options quite a bit. Ideally, I would love a Kelly in etoupe, etaine, gris T, or some other similar neutral cool-toned taupe color in a grained leather like togo, clemence, epsom, etc. BUT from my research, it looks like those bags come up really rarely and when they do, they are priced a LOT higher than what I'm looking to spend. Are my expectations out of wack? Should I "settle" for black (which would be my 2nd choice)? This is also going to be my one and only H bag, unless I win the lottery, so I need to be sure. Thanks for your help and can't wait to join the "orange side" :P

Hi everyone, I tried to resist H for as long as possible (due to the cost), but I think I am finally going to take the plunge. I am looking for a gently pre-owned Kelly retourne size 32 and I'm hoping to spend less than 7000 USD, which seems to narrow my options quite a bit. Ideally, I would love a Kelly in etoupe, etaine, gris T, or some other similar neutral cool-toned taupe color in a grained leather like togo, clemence, epsom, etc. BUT from my research, it looks like those bags come up really rarely and when they do, they are priced a LOT higher than what I'm looking to spend. Are my expectations out of wack? Should I "settle" for black (which would be my 2nd choice)? This is also going to be my one and only H bag, unless I win the lottery, so I need to be sure. Thanks for your help and can't wait to join the "orange side" :P
Do not settle for a second choice color, especially if this will be your 'one and only'

Give it time, you have a reasonable price point so you should be able to find your dream combo if you are patient, but be prepared to stretch some (10%) on your price if the right combo comes up.
I hope you can find your dream bag under-budget!

Enjoy the hunt, that is the fun part! Please share with us once you find it!

it's going to be a tough one i think. you will likely be waiting a while. those leathers + colors are pretty popular, most people won't let their bags go for less than retail, even used. you'd probably have better luck just trying to find one at a store and pay retail.

Welcome to the Orange side :wave:!

Why don't you save a little bit extra and get one fresh from the boutique if possible? I don't know if you live close to a H. boutique, but if you do, you might want to visit it and build a relationship with a nice SA.
I mean, a new Kelly is not a lot more than the budget you have now, and if you get it fresh from the boutique, you also don't have to worry about authenticity, or that the bag won't be as described when it arrives ;). Plus, I never forget the feeling when I got my first H. bag from the boutique and walked out of the door with that huge orange shopping bag. Priceless :biggrin:!

However, if you rather want to go the pre-owned route, make sure you always have the bag authenticated before you buy.
Yes, there are many resellers who charge a huge premium on bags. But, there are also sellers who sell bags for more reasonable prices. It might takes a little time, but with the budget you have, it's not impossible to find a nice pre-owned Kelly in a neutral color.
As for the color, I think you can't go wrong with all the neutrals you mentioned. I think Etoupe, Etain and Black are all very nice options. All are classic and timeless. Pick the color you like most and which works best for you. Don't settle though, go for something you really love.

Good luck, hope you will find the bag of your dreams soon :biggrin:!

Welcome to the Orange side :wave:!

Why don't you save a little bit extra and get one fresh from the boutique if possible? I don't know if you live close to a H. boutique, but if you do, you might want to visit it and build a relationship with a nice SA.
I mean, a new Kelly is not a lot more than the budget you have now, and if you get it fresh from the boutique, you also don't have to worry about authenticity, or that the bag won't be as described when it arrives ;). Plus, I never forget the feeling when I got my first H. bag from the boutique and walked out of the door with that huge orange shopping bag. Priceless :biggrin:!

Thank you **Chanel**! I initially wanted to buy from the boutique but my DH had a very unpleasant experience there when we went to inquire about it (think the infamous scene from Pretty Woman) and it left such a sour taste that he actually banned me from H for life! He's recently softened his stance, but I think the chances are super slim that I will be able to get a Kelly as a walk-in, especially at my nearest boutique, which is where the Pretty Woman incident happened!

Do not settle for a second choice color, especially if this will be your 'one and only'

Give it time, you have a reasonable price point so you should be able to find your dream combo if you are patient, but be prepared to stretch some (10%) on your price if the right combo comes up.
I hope you can find your dream bag under-budget!

Enjoy the hunt, that is the fun part! Please share with us once you find it!

Thank you Monceau- I hope you're right!

Mellee......I wouldn't settle but while you're looking keep saving and you actually might surprise yourself by having enough at some point to buy at retail!

Thank you **Chanel**! I initially wanted to buy from the boutique but my DH had a very unpleasant experience there when we went to inquire about it (think the infamous scene from Pretty Woman) and it left such a sour taste that he actually banned me from H for life! He's recently softened his stance, but I think the chances are super slim that I will be able to get a Kelly as a walk-in, especially at my nearest boutique, which is where the Pretty Woman incident happened!

Oh no Mellee, I am so sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience :flowers:.
But don't give up. I would go to another boutique or look for another SA at your closest boutique. Look for a SA that treats you like it should be. You are the paying customer who deserves excellent customer service, so if you meet an unfriendly SA, look for another one that is nice to you ;).

I don't know where you are located, but another idea could be to plan a romantic trip to Paris with your DH and try your luck at FSH.
Several PF members scored a B or a K there as a walk in. No guarantees, but you might get lucky.
Plus, who would say 'no' to a romantic trip to Paris? And how perfect would it be if you would find your perfect H. bag during this trip :tender:? Even if you don't find a bag, you will go home with many nice memories :smile:.

Hi Mellee. I think your budget is more than sufficient for a pre-owned Kelly. The difficult thing is the colour. From what I've seen so far, there's a lot more Black and Gold Kelly preowned than Etoupe, Etain, Gris T. (Well, Etain is relatively new-ish colour) So your chances is much higher with Black or Gold.
But in saying that, I agree with the other ladies here, do not settle. If Etoupe Kelly is what you want, then wait for it. It will take a little time, patience and a bit of research frequently but it will come. :smile:
To get one from the boutique will come down to pure luck IMO. But, no harm to try to go in every now and then and ask in different H stores if possible if it doesn't cost anything. Just don't get sucked in with "buy other stuff first before I can offer you any bags" situation. I don't think this is what you want.
Wishing you good luck that you get it soon!

Mellee, I understand your delimma completely. Etoupe is quite hard to come by (within your price range). I "settled" for a black box for my first Kelly (not really, I love the bag). Then unexpectedly bought a Rough VIF Kelly but Etoupe has always been on top of my list.

Anyways, there is one available on ebay right now (right at your price range). 35 cm though....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-HERMES-E...H_Handbags&hash=item54003dfb5a#ht_7628wt_1362

If this is going to be your one and only Hermes bag, then I definitely wouldn't settle for anything less than your heart's desire. It may be difficult though to find the K32 in etoupe or etain at $7000 USD on the reseller market. It's unfortunate your experience with your local H boutique was less than stellar as I would say that'd be a better option. Personally I would wait, it may take awhile to find the right combo, but it will appear and in the meantime you will be able to save up more money in case you need to stretch your budget a bit. Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

Mellee, I understand your delimma completely. Etoupe is quite hard to come by (within your price range). I "settled" for a black box for my first Kelly (not really, I love the bag). Then unexpectedly bought a Rough VIF Kelly but Etoupe has always been on top of my list.

Anyways, there is one available on ebay right now (right at your price range). 35 cm though....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-HERMES-E...H_Handbags&hash=item54003dfb5a#ht_7628wt_1362

I agree. If a 35cm can work for you, this is well priced or so it appears. I would have liked to see photos of the wear at the corners. Also, you need to make sure that you are comfortable with a slouchy bag, as your "new" bag. Personally, I love the slouch but it is not for everyone. Good Luck!

Thank you Sinatra, Nico_79, hhong001, cr1stalangel,**chanel**, s'mom, gymangel812 and monceau! Your advice and suggestions have been very helpful, and I'm glad to hear that I my budget is reasonable for a pre-owned (although possibly not in my ideal color). I had my heart set on the 32 cm size, since it seems the most versatile, but maybe I should consider the 35 cm as well. I am 5'7" so I should be tall enough to pull it off, right? I've looked at a ton of threads regarding 32 cm v. 35 cm but it's so hard to get a sense of the size from pictures! I have a Chanel maxi that I think looks large on me when worn on the shoulder, but I like how it looks if I shorten the straps and carry it in the crook of my arm. My lifestyle is pretty casual and I rarely attend formal events.

Thank you Sinatra, Nico_79, hhong001, cr1stalangel,**chanel**, s'mom, gymangel812 and monceau! Your advice and suggestions have been very helpful, and I'm glad to hear that I my budget is reasonable for a pre-owned (although possibly not in my ideal color). I had my heart set on the 32 cm size, since it seems the most versatile, but maybe I should consider the 35 cm as well. I am 5'7" so I should be tall enough to pull it off, right? I've looked at a ton of threads regarding 32 cm v. 35 cm but it's so hard to get a sense of the size from pictures! I have a Chanel maxi that I think looks large on me when worn on the shoulder, but I like how it looks if I shorten the straps and carry it in the crook of my arm. My lifestyle is pretty casual and I rarely attend formal events.

Mellee, I'm glad we could be of some help. Getting your first K is always an adventure! I'm 5'8" and I think you'd be fine carrying a 35 retourne (I have one in etain). I would keep in mind proportion too, the width of the bag may or may not overwhelm you depending on your frame.