Help my teen choose between a Noe or Vernis bag...

staceyjan

Dec 30, 2014
My DD is saving her $ and wants either a preloved mono Noe or a Vernis bag. Any advice on which bag would hold up for years to come (she is very careful and responsible) or be in better condition when looking for preloved. I am familiar w Yoogis and Elady but maybe she should venture into the Ebay world? Her fav color Vernis is beige. Any advice is appreciated! I think she wants to start her capsule collection and want to steer her in the right direction.

I agree with Miss Krys. Vernis as a type of leather needs a lot of care, the coating can become cloudy over time and for lighter colours, it is known to develop a yellow tint. The lighter colours are also prone to colour transfer and you can never clean vernis, nor can a professional ever repair damaged vernis. Scuff on vernis also look much worse than on other natural finish. Creases also don't fare well and over time can develop cracks... I love vernis and I have found vernis bags to hold their shapes well and generally be less prone to minor scratches and with care will last a life time.

I think the best advice to give anyone new to luxury bags is to think about their lifestyle and what they look for in a bag as well as do lots of research on other styles and looks if they haven't already. The Rossmore can be a very versatile bag though very small (it is a clutch) and I would suggest looking at an additional strap to wear cross body if that's a favorite style.

I would avoid eBay unless the seller is referenced in TPF. Other trusted sources are:
Fashionphile.com
Portero.com
Vestiairecollective.com

Reactions: staceyjan
It's great that she's saving up her own money for this purchase! She's going to be smiling from ear to ear when the day comes! I would probably steer her away from vernis. Maybe she can save up again at a later date or you can split the cost with her on a vernis SLG. It would be a great graduation or birthday gift if she has either coming up soon.

I vote the Noe style. My first Monogram Noelasted 25 years in excellent condition (I clean, condition and waterproof the leather-and do one or all monthly). My bag did not even gave one stitch broken or damage to the leather and I gave it to my best friend and she continued to use it daily. I then bought the large Azur Noe and it is still like new. I have had it for years. I bought a beautiful preloved petite Noe from eBay from a Japanese seller and it was in excellent condition. After 2 years I gave this to my SIL as a gift. She loves it.

One thing I love about the Noe bags are how sturdy the strap us and how light and comfortable it is to carry. I use 2 big makeup organizers for my things inside which are easier than just throwing everything in the bag. I have had vernis bags and they to me are more delicate especially for everyday use. They can also discolor with age, can pick up color from clothing and if you get a chip on the bag it can start to peel. To me thus is not a practical line but great for a evening bag.

Noe for sure, bucket bags are trendy now (so she will wear it a lot currently) but they always come back in style so she will have it for years to come. A great collection starter in my opinion!

Gilliana,
I also appreciate that you were able to recommend cleaning and conditioning the bag monthly. It is good to start teaching her maintenance of bags to preserve them for a lifetime.